So Hows Your HOSTS File

CuleHand

EDITnever mind, I Just found the HOSTS file update page in the security forum. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------No matter which os you are running you have a HOSTS file. How people us it is something I see discusssed from time to time, so Im wondering if any one here at Scotts has any special HOSTS file they would like to share.I get mine from MVPS.ORG and dont normally modify it, just use it as is. I used to collect urls to add to it but havent bothered to do that lately. I use the modified mvps HOSTS file instead of ad/script blocking progs. Id be interested to hear from anyone who has a custom made file and would like to share it.If you arent using a modified HOSTS file yet, you can get all the info you need about it at the mvps.org site. Its free and they can fix you up w/ everything you need to know.Luke

Edited by CuleHand

Mine is empty. I let SpywareBlaster deal with this and I'm not sure where it stores the info to keep me away from known malicious sites.

good that they note that a large host file is a type of self denial of service attack.i used to keep track of my host file but nowadays i only have a few sites that really annoy me in my 'block' section.

I get mine from MVPS.ORG and dont normally modify it, just use it as is.
Prior to issuing an update to the MVPS HOSTS File, Mike Burgess checks the entries. After all, it wouldn't make sense to have entries to dead sites.Although an old article, Jeff describes the licensed version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware website blocking feature in Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware IP Blocking Protection.

Frank Golden
Mine is empty. I let SpywareBlaster deal with this and I'm not sure where it stores the info to keep me away from known malicious sites.
Me too. JavaCool's SpywareBlaster (there is another Spywareblaster that is actually malware).I think SpywareBlaster keeps the hosts files in the SpywareBlaster installation folder.On my machine that folder is C:\Program Files\Spywareblaster.There are several files with the .dtb file extension.I bet those files are the hosts files.They are largish files and windows can't open them.Changing the .dtb to txt allows opening the files in a text editor but the results are gibberish.I also have Spybot Search and Destroy installed. It provides a hosts file when you elect to immunize.Spybot Search and Destroy provides a traditional hosts file and can lock it against unauthorized tampering.

Hello,One nice thing about using the hosts file for blocking banner advertisements is that you can replace them by using a program such as Pyrenean's eDexter.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky
Is that something you wrote on your own? I just downloaded it and I'm about to give it a try.

One nice thing about using the hosts file for blocking banner advertisements is that you can replace them by using a program such as Pyrenean's eDexter.
I used eDexter when I was on Windows. Dexter certainly is a good dog. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hello,No, it's not from me, but I've known the author for a number of years.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Is that something you wrote on your own? I just downloaded it and I'm about to give it a try.

Guest LilBambi

Excellent Aryeh! Wanted a hosts management for OS X as well as Windows.Years ago on Window, I used various ones. The one that is no longer updated was HOSTSecure, I think it was called. It ran in the system tray and checked for updates for you. Was great for clients, but no longer updated and no longer safe either.