Warning - beware Avast AV

ibe98765

I installed the free AV Avast in mid-November. I began having problems at that point but since I install alot of stuff, took me a while to tie it all together. I uninstalled the product yesterday.I ran into the following problems (I am running WinXP Pro SP1):1. Avast messed up my WinXP Pro backups, apparently causing the Volume Shadow Service (VSS) not to work. So it looked like open files did not get backed like they are supposed to. But with some help out on the MS Newsgroups, I found that the actual error was in the Event log registry keys. After the backups ran this morning, I no longer see the error, so it looks like the Event Log fixed itself without Avast in the way.2. I was getting intermittant mouse problems that required a reboot to fix. This has not occurred since the deinstall.3. System shutdown became very slow, taking up to a couple minutes to finish closing applications. And often, the shutdown would fail and I had to do a hard reset. I have rebooted about 5 times since the deinstall with no more problems.I'd recommend being careful with this one. It may work on your system. Then again it may not and you might have trouble pinpointing the source.

Guest LilBambi

AVAST is great for those who might still be trying to decide about upgrading their Win95. I use AVG on Win98 and above. No problems.I also noted over time that AVAST seems to work better with SPF (Sygate Personal Firewall) than ZoneAlarm. And of course on a Win95 computer, ZoneAlarm doesn't work anyway, so it was a moot point for me.Thanks for the heads up ibe98765. :w00t:

I also noted over time that AVAST seems to work better with SPF (Sygate Personal Firewall) than ZoneAlarm.
i also noticed Sygate works a lot better with many other programs (such as P2P) than ZoneAlarm does. now if they can only do something about Sygate's ugly interface, they'd have the number 1 firewall program out there. :w00t:

I was just about to install it on an XP box... thanks for the heads up!I also got an email today saying that i've had the program for a year and that it's time to re-register even though it has been two months max. (maybe they do this for everyone at new years?)