software

woodcr

I have been trying to write a software program, unfortunately this does not seem to be a viable possibility. I have been to web sites that help you but I usually get to a spot where I don't have a clue. Is there a software program that will help you write a software program, I am only trying to write a small program with a simple user interface. Any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows the going price for someone to write a small program.

Guest ThunderRiver

How simple you are talking about here?What do you desire the program to do?*Topic moved*

Edited by ThunderRiver

I have been trying to write a software program, unfortunately this does not seem to be a viable possibility. I have been to web sites that help you but I usually get to a spot where I don't have a clue. Is there a software program that will help you write a software program, I am only trying to write a small program with a simple user interface. Any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows the going price for someone to write a small program.
In what language? What function? What platform? What architecture?In C++, a "hello world" program would be (sorry if it's a bit off; I haven't done C++ in a while):
#include <iostream>#include <cstdlib>using namespace std;int main(){cout<<"Hello World\n\n";system("pause");return 0;}

And no, there are no GUIs for programs (well, M4 may provide some for one of it's BS languages; I don't know) you have to know what you want and how to create it to do this.

Small program, about complexity of wordpadSmall database of my chess games, I made it up in word 2002 but can't make it into program, it only has to store information for these basic columsEvent Date Color Score Player Name Game Moves Place

Small program, about complexity of wordpadSmall database of my chess games, I made it up in word 2002 but can't make it into program, it only has to store information for these basic columsEvent  Date  Color Score Player Name Game Moves Place
You don't want a program... You are perfectly describing an SQL database - that will fit your needs. Check out MySQL - http://www.mysql.com/ and read up on it's language at http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp Or you could get someone to host this for you, but basically what you want to do is create a database called 'chess' and create a table called 'games' and give it nine columns. You will create a new roww and fill in all of the colums - title them respectively.It's easy to administer MySQL with phpMyAdmin.

Well, you could program in Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0, .NET) and still use the access database if you dare to go that far. Using VB will get you the nice GUI interface without the need for web services running. Using a Linux distro or Windows??

Perl is always an option too.No gui though.It could be done with arrays and hashes..I found that the web wasn't very helpful for learning programing. I'd pick a language and buy a book if i were you. It's a lot easier that way.

If you just want to store a record of chess games, there is no need to re-invent the wheel... Just usea a spreadsheet or if you want to do it the hard way, use a database server.

• 3 weeks later...

Visual Basic 6.0. There are tons of code available for free that you can study, customize and use. The codes usually have comments/notes.VB6 also have wizards that allow you to create programs in minutes. And as PC-tecky said, you can create front-end programs that can use your Office documents/database to your liking.