VNC in SuSE?

GolfProRM

Okay... now that I've got things up and running, I need to get VNC setup... There were all sorts of VNC programs installed in Mandrake, so it was easy, but haven't figured out how/what to get it working in SuSE... Also, what ports does VNC use? I haven't used it in so long that I don't remember... will have to configure the firewalls to let it through (something I CAN handle :rolleyes: )

Okay... thanks to a locate and reading the documentation (what a surprise, huh? :rolleyes: ), I figured out how to get it all setup... Am able to connect from my g/f's computer, but my question is: How do I do anything? It just brings up an empty window with an X cursor... I'd like to have it bring up KDE...

Well... looks like I got it working for now... realized that I need to use the command kde instead of startx to get KDE to boot... Linux VNC isn't quite as nice as MS remote desktop, but it does work, and I'm happy for now. :rolleyes: Now to make sure my router is configured properly to let me in!

Good job Ryan . . . we like Linuxers that solve their own problems, but then . . . where would our forum be if everybody did ? :w00t: :o B) Bruno

Got VNC to work from a computer in my local network just fine... now it's a matter of getting the router configured correctly so I can access from outside my network... I thought I had it setup right, but I guess not... running a LinkSys BEFSR41, so if anyone has any proven tips, they'd be appreciated >_<

Might end up posting this in the Networking forum if I need to, but will start here... In my router config for port forwarding, I've got the port range for my VNC setup 5900-5902 TCP forwarded to my internal IP 192.168.1.102... Yet for some reason, I can't get VNC access... I'm pretty sure it's not my software firewall on my machine as I can run VNC from a different computer in my network. Any ideas as to what I'm missing?Running VNC should just require putting in my outside IP followed by the display number, right? >_<

It could be that your software firewall allows computers on the local network to connect to it but blocks anything outside that IP range. To find out if this is the issue, put the computer with the VNC server in the DMZ.I'm sure you've already thought of this, but just in case, you've made sure to start the VNC server or checked that it's still running when you try to login to it? You can ssh to it to check this before connecting via VNC or even do this to initiate the server.ssh -l username hostname/IP_addressFinally, you may have to set the X server so you can access it remotely although I don't recall having to do this when I used to play with VNC so YMMV. So, for what it's worth:How to configure X and VNCI also seem to recall (I think) that when connecting any type of Unix server with VNC that you need to connect to a display above 0 since X itself takes up the first one. But I'm guessing you already know this. VNC does have a list that you can subcribe to and post questions or problems at http://realvnc.com .