Losing server

keejac

I am supposedly on the main computer and my husband is running from my room. We are on Comcast and pay for 2 computers a month. The problem is all of a sudden I get a window saying my server is down but my husband in the next room can access his email and internet. Mail will stay in my Outbox etc. The modem lights are all green so this is confusing, any ideas? It's happening with increasing frequency lately. Running XP and have 80 gig. :)

I have not seen your post show up in one of the other forums. If you want people to answer your questions, you need to post it somewhere other than the test area. You will want to include how you connect. Are you connecting through a router? Are you using dial up or DSL or cable? When you say the modem lights are all green, are you sure it is a modem you are talking about, or is it an external box? I would suggest you post in either networking or in the questions forum. Good luck with your search for connecting both computers. This can be frustrating at times!

keejac, I've asked the admin's to move you into a forum that will, I'm sure, generate some responses for you. This is just a testing area that doesn't get a lot of board attention.

Guest LilBambi
I am supposedly on the main computer and my husband is running from my room. We are on Comcast and pay for 2 computers a month. The problem is all of a sudden I get a window saying my server is down but my husband in the next room can access his email and internet. Mail will stay in my  Outbox etc. The modem lights are all green so this is confusing, any ideas? It's happening with increasing frequency lately. Running XP and have 80 gig. B)
keejac --I have moved this thread to security and networking so it will get more response.As teacher was saying, you will need to give us a little more to go on.You say you are using comcast on a 2 computer account. I would assume - rightly or wrongly B) - that you mean you are on cable.If so, how is your cable modem connecting both computers to the Internet?Is one computer hooked to the cable modem and sharing the Internet connection with other computer through network cables?Or do you have the cable modem connected to a router box and network cables going from the cable box to the router and then to both computers?Or is it another type of connection?Are you both running a Personal software-based firewall program on your computers like ZoneAlarm or Norton's Firewall, etc.?Also you mentioned WinXP ... is that on both computers or just one of them?If you give us these answers, we can probably help you a lot better.Thanks.

I am supposedly on the main computer and my husband is running from my room. We are on Comcast and pay for 2 computers a month. The problem is all of a sudden I get a window saying my server is down but my husband in the next room can access his email and internet. Mail will stay in my  Outbox etc. The modem lights are all green so this is confusing, any ideas? It's happening with increasing frequency lately. Running XP and have 80 gig. B)
While we wait for you to post additional info, always go to the obvious first - is your Cat5e cable plugged in as it should be? B)

Guest LilBambi

quint --Good point!Also, if that doesn't work ... you could try trading out the cable on your computer for a brand new cable and see it that helps....could be an intermittent problem on the cable or connectors.But if not, we still need the other info to help further B)

... you could try trading out the cable on your computer for a brand new cable and see it that helps....could be an intermittent problem on the cable or connectors.But if not, we still need the other info to help further  B)
LilBambi, Excellent...and if that doesn't work, how about swapping ports with your cable and your husband's, make sure not to get it kinky! B)