Linux in Windows!

quint

Guest ComputerBob

If I understand this correctly,WinLinux: Now you can enjoy all the friendliness of Linux, with all the stability of Windows! :lol:

CB, noticed on a page on your site you mentioned Xandros...have you ever tried it? The weekend's coming, my "honey-do" list is near complete, might have to investigate if you think it's worthwhile.

Guest ComputerBob

Thanks for visiting my site! I have a review copy of Xandros, but I haven't had time to try it out yet. It's on my list, along with RedHat 9, Lycoris (when their upcoming new release comes out, and Knoppix. :lol:

Thank you. Have tried Lycoris - very Windows-like interface; Knoppix was my favorite trial, but I'm not Linux literate enough to put it on my HDD; have never tried Red Hat, but a Linux lover I know said to steer clear, but wouldn't say why. :lol:

Guest ComputerBob

So far, I've tried Mandrake 9.0, Mandrake 9.1, and SuSE 8.1.I don't know why anyone would tell you to steer clear of RedHat -- it's a very, very popular Linux distro, and you can buy the newest versin (RedHat 9 -- renamed PinkTie Linux -- thanks, LilBambi) for only $6.99 + $5.00 shipping (USD) from CheapBytes. In fact, you can buy a whole bunch of different Linux distros for about $5 apiece at CheapBytes, and, if you order them at the same time, you'll pay only one shipping cost for all of them.

Quint, thanks for the links.

CB, noticed on a page on your site you mentioned Xandros...have you ever tried it? The weekend's coming, my "honey-do" list is near complete, might have to investigate if you think it's worthwhile.
I have tried Xandros 1 and I can tell you it is very good.It is based on old Corel-Linux distro.The only problem I see with Xandros is that it is getting a bit outdated.It is not using latest kernel, Xfree or KDE but they say it is a feature (stabillity, well tested).It comes with Crossover and Crossoffice plugin installed and it does job great.You are able to run bunch of Windows programs as well as load Windows fonts etc without hickup.If that is your intension, go fo it.It also has great file manager that is taken from Corel-Linux and resembles very much Windows Explorer.Entire distro is made with Windows users on mind.When they release new version, it will be based on latest stuff, I might consider it to be my default Linux distro but for now, just testing :)

Guest ThunderRiver

I was able to get KDE 3.1 to run on cygwin, but it was amazingly slow.I am not really a great fan of WinLinux, and a lot of Linux die hards are against WinLinux too because their code is not free, and it is just plain pointless. Thanks for bring up the DragonLinux though

Thanks all for the info and thoughts...what a great place this is! Tried and tried to find a site where I could d/l Xandros for free - nothing. Will go now to CheapBytes and splurge on Linux distro's. :) Can just hear the better 1/2 now... :) This settles it, this is my new homepage, thanks Scot and fellow members,

I don't think you'll find free version of Xandros to download since they don't have it.They are selling their OS for 99 bucks (deluxe version) but 79 bucks is the price of the Crossover and Crossoffice plugin alone,also they include NTFS partition resizing so it is worth paying 99 if you need Crossover.As far as I know untill Mandrake 9.1 came out, Xandros OS was the only distro to include NTFS resizing.If not, then you can just go for Standard edition for some 39 bucks but it is stripped down and doesn't include any of these, not even Technology preview of the next version with KDE 3.IMHO it is pointless giving away money for standard edition since you are not getting much, but that's me :)http://www.xandros.com/

I don't think you'll find free version of Xandros to download since they don't have it.They are selling their OS for 99 bucks (deluxe version) but 79 bucks is the price of the Crossover and Crossoffice plugin alone,also they include NTFS partition resizing so it is worth paying 99 if you need Crossover.As far as I know untill Mandrake 9.1 came out, Xandros OS was the only distro to include NTFS resizing.If not, then you can just go for Standard edition for some 39 bucks but it is stripped down and doesn't include any of these, not even Technology preview of the next version with KDE 3.IMHO it is pointless giving away money for standard edition since you are not getting much, but that's me :)http://www.xandros.com/
Zox, thanks very much for the input - was just about to order, now have more to consider. :)

Quint,I'm using Red Hat Linux 9 and I haven't seen any thing that would make me say "stay clear away". It's seems pretty stable as it should be since the kernel is 2.4.20. Most of its packages have been updated and a couple of new ones added. They've added tsclient a pretty good port of the Microsoft Windows Remote Desktop Client, so good that they've managed to duplicate the look and feel of it.However, the install on my daughter's computer went awry when I tried creating a boot floppy. It hung. I think the floppy drive may be nearing the bit-bucket because it was making some rather strange clunking noises before it stopped working. Other than that, I can't complain. :huh:

Quint,I'm using Red Hat Linux 9 and I haven't seen any thing that would make me say "stay clear away". It's seems pretty stable as it should be since the kernel is 2.4.20. Most of its packages have been updated and a couple of new ones added. They've added tsclient a pretty good port of the Microsoft Windows Remote Desktop Client, so good that they've managed to duplicate the look and feel of it.However, the install on my daughter's computer went awry when I tried creating a boot floppy. It hung. I think the floppy drive may be nearing the bit-bucket because it was making some rather strange clunking noises before it stopped working. Other than that, I can't complain.  :huh:
Thanks for that; I'll have to ask him what he found so objectionable. I do have Red Hat 7.3 on CD's that I never tried due to his negative advice; maybe it's time to investigate.

I do redhat 8.0 - got the cds for 9 but not installed yet and I love it. If your going to do Redhat get at least 8.0. I have a friend that does nothing but work with servers that run redhat and like redhat a lot. Most people's gripe about Redhat is the RPMs and the dependencies I use command apt-get install "program" often than it gets everything ya need. All distros have something that someone don't like and it is something you have to try and make up your own mind. RH good :huh:

Guest ThunderRiver

Wow, that's a news to me. I am glad that Red Hat has learnt from its mistake and implement the Debian app-get feature in there.Nonetheless, they aren't as great as the portage in Gentoo nor ports in BSD :huh:

Give it a whirl and see and than let us know what you think of it. The install is easy - basically a wizard and vrooom your off, but I would at least get the 8.0 version and do a desktop install. Lots of great programs for it and fairly easy for people to start out on. I never did mandrake, everyone says that one is too easy and is used mostly by newbies so I choose RH easy also I think. I would like to try Debian someday