Connecting to Windows

RichardKR

Can't connect to my wife's Windows 7 computer.
Where is the computer you are using located? (home network or remote location)It also helps if you mention what distro you are using.

Where is the computer you are using located? (home network or remote location)It also helps if you mention what distro you are using.
Sorry, Linux Mint 10 32 bit. Her computer is 2 feet from mine - home network.She is 192.168.10.102Can you give me the easiest way to determine my IP in Linux?

If you are trying to use Samba to connect the Windows box there are a couple of things to consider. First, check the access permissions on the Windows side to see if the share is set for Everyone or a specific Windows user. If it's for a specific Windows user you will need to use the same name and password when prompted. It doesn't hurt to create a Samba user with those credentials. Samba users are separate from local Linux user accounts although you can make them identical, which is actually preferred, especially if you want write permissions to the Windows share if you ever decide to mount it into a local Linux directory. Make sure that you have the smbclient installed in your Linux distro as well as the nmb daemon.The latter helps in NetBIOS name resolution.

Nice that Samba was preinstalled/configured on LinuxMint :yes:
It wasn't. I installed it through Synaptic package manager. None of the Samba choices showed as installed.I think this is because I installed the CD version then after install clicked the Get DVD goodies link. It installed those goodies, but not Samba.

securitybreach
It wasn't. I installed it through Synaptic package manager. None of the Samba choices showed as installed.I think this is because I installed the CD version then after install clicked the Get DVD goodies link. It installed those goodies, but not Samba.
Ah, ok. I did not realize how easy it was to setup Samba in Linux Mint. In most distro, you have to setup your /etc/samba/smb.conf and set it as a daemon, etc. Of course, I have not used Samba in a long time since all of my machines run Linux, so its nice to see it has gotten easier to setup.

Ah, ok. I did not realize how easy it was to setup Samba in Linux Mint. In most distro, you have to setup your /etc/samba/smb.conf and set it as a daemon, etc. Of course, I have not used Samba in a long time since all of my machines run Linux, so its nice to see it has gotten easier to setup.
Now you're making me doubt myself. :yes: I didn't do anything but select Samba Client and it of course picked the dependent files. After installing it, I had no idea where it was, so I figured I had just put more junk on my HD. Then I ran across the command line I used above and poof! it worked. What went on behind the scenes was beyond my knowledge.Probably another case of being right for the wrong reason. Even a broken watch is right twice a day Edited by RichardKR

@ RichardKR ... you may need to do some setup [/etc/samba/smb.conf] when you try to access linux from win7, though.
Good point, but I doubt I'll move files that way. I don't allow other machines on the home network to access the "Big Machine".I'll start playing with that though. With one of my super complex passwords it will probably be OK.Thanks
"Even a broken watch is right twice a day"Unless it is a digital watch with a dead battery. :whistling:
Wrong! Then it's a broken battery, not watch.OK, OK, I'm parsing beyond reason. :devil: You win.