Wireless web

longgone

I found this on Earthlink's page but it is for a different Zytel model (P645)

LAN - A flashing light indicates communication between the modem and the computer. A steady green/amber light indicates that the modem is connected to a computer or network. A green light represents 10Mbps and an amber light represents 100Mbps.
I'm still looking for useful information about the lights on your model. Everything seems to be geared towrds - solid versus flashing and setting it into bridge mode.
Your search - amber light P-660R-ELNK - did not match any documents.
Edited by zlim

Having a problem editing the above.Found ithttp://support.earthlink.net/articles/dsl/...cifications.phpScroll down to below the picture of the back of your unit and the light status is explained.Ethernet: Amber ON 100Mbps Ethernet connectionGreen meant you had a 10Mbps connection.
So apparently your old wired router wasn't capable of supporting the "newer" 100 mbit ethernet.Your new one is.Another reason for replacing the old router.

?????Okay,,, let's see if I can get a grip on this, old router (wired) equals turtle ,,, new router (wireless) equals rabbit ,, so that being the case how come (I just tried this for test purposes) when I d/l a Linux distro on the wireless laptop the d/l speed is somewhere in the neighborhood of 65-80kpbs. Same distro on desktop (not wireless) up around 156-178kpbs.

?????Okay,,, let's see if I can get a grip on this, old router (wired) equals turtle ,,, new router (wireless) equals rabbit ,, so that being the case how come (I just tried this for test purposes) when I d/l a Linux distro on the wireless laptop the d/l speed is somewhere in the neighborhood of 65-80kpbs. Same distro on desktop (not wireless) up around 156-178kpbs.
That has nothing to do with the routers.Even with the wired routers slower (10 Mb\sec) transfer rate that is still much faster than the transfer rates you report.The bottleneck is either a setting in your laptop or it's hardware.Even if you are using 801.11 b (slowest Wi-Fi standard) that shouldn't be a bottleneck because the theoretical transfer rate of 801.11 b is 11 Mbit\sec, still much faster than the throughput you report.The only way either router could be a bottleneck is if you attempted to D\L something at a rate faster than the device's maximumthroughput rate.

:thumbsup: :) Oh,, I see, I think, well the only settings I have ever messed with was setting up the DSL modem for bridged mode. I have not attempted any changes with the laptop or the desktop/s in regards to d/l speeds.

:( :sleeping: Oh,, I see, I think, well the only settings I have ever messed with was setting up the DSL modem for bridged mode. I have not attempted any changes with the laptop or the desktop/s in regards to d/l speeds.
Let me get this straight. Did you retire the old router (like unplug it completely and put it away)or did you connect the new router to the ethernet output of the old one?You should not need any kind of bridge setup unless you need all your machines to share files with each other.It is not necessary to keep the old router in the loop.The new one should be connected directly to the ethernet output of your DSL modem.It will act as both a ethernet router, for your desktops and Wi-Fi access point for your laptop with little or no input from you.You should only have to enable WPA2 to protect your signal and tell Win 7 about the encryption (configure it with your encryption passphrase).Your owners manual should help with setting up both your laptop and router with WPA2.I guess since you say that the only thing you changed was to configure bridge mode you haven't enabled encryption.You really should enable WPA2.Unless you live in the middle of nowhere with no one around for miles it is dangerous to not encrypt your wi-fi signal.I repeat, if you have the old wired router still installed, remove it, you don't need it anymore. Edited by Frank Golden

The encryption is enabled, did that when I ran the CD that came with the router. As far as an owners manual goes, what is that, by that I mean that no manual came with it. The old wired router is removed and packed away.

The encryption is enabled, did that when I ran the CD that came with the router. As far as an owners manual goes, what is that, by that I mean that no manual came with it. The old wired router is removed and packed away.
Good. A comprehensive manual can be had here.http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys/E3000User guide is a 76 page .pdf that you can print.Linksys should have included it with your router. Edited by Frank Golden