Foxit and Firefox

zlim

In early December, I had to go to an insurance site and download some pdf forms. All I got on my screen was a blank white window. I had successfully gone to the site in November and downloaded a form in pdf. I blamed the site, not my computer. Eventually it happened at another site. I could neither view nor download any pdfs so I ruled out a site problem.I stumbled upon a solution yesterday. I had to disable the FF Foxit Reader Plugin to get it to work. After I updated the plugin and it still did not work, I went googling for a solution. Since tax season will be here soon and I need to download forms in pdf, I wanted to fix this problem. So if you discover you have a pdf problem on the internet and use FF and Foxit, disable the plugin.

Okay, let me add more confusion. We have 4 windows computers (5 partitions) connected to the internet and I'm trying to fix the pdf problem on all of them.1. My XP Home, fixed pdf problems by disabling the Foxit Mozilla plugin.2. Husband's XP Home, plugin enabled and no problem with viewing or downloading and viewing later.3. Husband's 2K computer had pdf download addon. I figured this was the problem so I uninstalled the addon.Tried plugin enabled, and disabled. Any pdf brings up a blank white page when I download it, and try to open it I get a "Foxit has encountered an error and needs to close". Older pdfs sitting on his desktop still open with no problem.I still have two other partitions on one computer to try and fix. I'll tackle them after I fix #3. I have a trouble ticket into Foxit.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~It is fixed but I did lots of things, including having two glasses of bubbly!I've emailed a crashlog to Foxit but I don't expect to hear from them until sometime next week.1. Launched IE. It downloaded the pdf (my testing is getting pdfs from the irs.gov web site) then tries to lauch Foxit and I get the same error message.2. Downloaded, installed and tried to launch Sumatra. At least Sumatra told me in great detail what the problem was: gdiplus.dll wasn't in various places Sumatra looked. I found gdiplus.dll and copied the dll to 5 locations:a) C:\Program Files\Sumatra PDFB) C:\WINNT\system32c) C:\WINNT\systemd) C:\WINNTe) C:\WINNT\system32\Wbem3. Then I tried Foxit it again to see if that was the problem. It wasn't because it still didn't work. At this point, I could download the pdf from the gov site and then I right-clicked it and could view it if I selected Sumatra.4. Then I went back in to FF and started combing through my settings. I disabled the Foxit Plugin for Mozilla.Finally, I could view the pdf on the government site (no more blank white window). I downloaded it and was able to view it with Foxit.I'm still keeping Sumatra on the computer, just in case Foxit starts acting up again.I think I need a bit more wine before I'm ready to look at the last computer. :yes:

Edited by zlim

It is fixed but I did lots of things, including having two glasses of bubbly!
Yes, that usually helps to fix most computer problems. :yes: I've had good results viewing online or downloaded pdfs from Firefox with Ocular. Of course it's a KDE program though.I used pdfdownload without problems for ages, although recent FF seems to give the same choice natively (view or download). Edited by sunrat

I don't have a Foxit plugin in FF. I just use regular Foxit and tell it to open the pdf in Foxit after download. It's almost like having it in your browser.

After having removed the addon, I still could not open the pdf. Everytime I tried to view online, I got a blank white screen. If I elected to download, it downloaded fine but when I clicked to view it, all I'd get is the Foxit has encountered an error and needs to close. I chalked that up to the plugin from Foxit.I now have it working on 4 of the 5 computers. I'm still scratching my head about the last computer. It is mine and has two windows partitions XP Pro and 2K. I started on the XP side. I removed the addon, and disabled the Foxit FF plugin. Tried and pdfs now work. I did the EXACT same thing on the 2K side and some pdfs work while others still give me the error message.Also it doesn't matter what version. 4.2 and 4.3 both were broken in the same way on all computers. Some computers had the pdf download addon while others did not.I love a problem when it as clear as mud!At least I have Sumatra working if Foxit fails.

Hello,Did the PDF files that you were trying to download contain JavaScript automation for forms? E.g., were they the type where you could type your name and SSN into them?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Some may have been but others were not.I discovered that I could download and view 1040X which is an amended tax return but 1040 could not be opened after downloading. I've since loaded Sumatra on the two 2K computers that still seem to have hiccups. If Foxit generates errors when trying to open, I simply click open with, select Sumatra and it works.This may shed some light on the problem (it doesn't help me figure out what is wrong). I had v 4.2 and it worked (one of the XP computers), when I updated to 4.3, the newest version, I started getting the same Foxit errors that the 2K computer shot out running 4.2 version.At least, for the moment I can open pdfs on all 5 windows partitions.

Hello,In my experience, PDF forms do not render very well outside of Adobe Reader, as the JavaScript support in other PDF readers is incomplete or unsupported. Adobe Reader X has a "sandbox" which is supposed to allow you to use PDF forms in a safer environment.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Well, putting Adobe Reader back on is not something I want to do...thanks anyway, AG. I'll use Foxit/Sumatra in tandem. This is the irst time I've had a major problem with Foxit so I'm willing to let them slide.Adobe already has it's tentacles on my computer with Air, Flash and Shockwave; I refuse to install something else from Adobe. (Of course, I might change my mind in the future).

Hello,The other thing you might want to do is open a ticket with Foxit Software's technical support department. I am sure they would like to fix any mis-renderings in their engine.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Been there, done that and even though I specified I did not want to update nor remove and reinstall Foxit on my husband's 2k computer because all his current pdfs are working, the advice was "remove and update to the latest version".I replied with the fact that I updated an XP computer that was working with 4.2 and the plugin enabled. When I updated to v4.3 and updated the plugin to the latest, it broke. I then had to disable the plugin. I also mentioned that I installed Sumatra to work with any pdfs that throw up a Foxit error.I did not hear back from tech support after my last email to them.At no time did they request any error logs; I'm not sure if Foxit has error logs. Usually a company asks for them and I comply because we both want to figure out what is going on.

I got another email back from Foxit tech support.I'll be doing exactly what they suggest on my "test" computer. It is actually my older desktop ruunning 2K, XP Pro and PCLinux. If Foxit will work on all pdfs at the IRS site in both 2K and XP, then I'll chance fixing my husband's 2K computer.Today on my XP Home computer, I've had to alternately enable and disable the plugin to get things to work.

Thanks Fran but I removed that because it was causing problems on a few of my computers. You can't download a pdf if all you see on the screen is a blank white web page. I too used that for years but in December I started having major problems on two legitimate sites: the IRS and Capital Blue Cross Insurance. I'd get blank white pages when I clicked on a pdf link. (I even resorted to firing up Internet Explorer but that didn't work either).Well, back to the old "no matter how long I live, I will NEVER understand computers".Four of the five windows partitions are working perfectly following the support email and downloading a newer plugin.Of course the 5th computer, my husband's 2K, refuses to budge from 1.0.1.117 I can't blame it on the OS because the first computer I tackled was my 2K and it worked fine.I've sent a screenshot to support showing them where the last computer is at. I went through all the steps twice on the last computer, despite the fact that I followed these instructions 4 times before with perfect results.Anyway, I went to the IRS site and I can now see the documents instead of the blank white page. I can also download and view again, print out and in general do not have a problem with pdfs on the internet. All the pdfs on the computer can also still be opened.

Edited by zlim

+1 for Foxit Tech Support! They stuck with me until Foxit was fixed on all five computers.This is for the free version, too. I haven't gotten this good support at times for paid programs!Each time I was given clear step by step instructions, links to files to download and jpg attachments showing what the step by step instructions meant.I've printed out everything and filed it so if I have problem again, I might be able to do some good troubleshooting and avoid bothering tech support.

Liz, I work in Tech Support and let me assure you that what you described was a GREAT day for the support person. We are, generally speaking, a fairly sharp bunch and we can usually solve issues pretty easily. But your call presented a real challenge and at the end of it everything was fixed and the customer was happy. Things like that don't come along every day.I'd recommend that you dash off a quick note to the support line praising whoever that was. It won't get them a raise or anything, but it'll be passed around the office and generally raise morale - particularly for your technician.

This was all done through email, no phone calls.I have no idea who I'd email higher up on the food chain. I did thank the support person wworking with me for sticking it out for the long haul until everything was working properly on 5 windows partitions - not an easy job with 2 different OSes and different programs installed on each.

This was all done through email, no phone calls.I have no idea who I'd email higher up on the food chain.
Easy as pie. Make up a letter to "Supervisor" and shoot it to the email address you were using. I guarantee that it'll be forwarded to the right person. Sounds like this guy really went above and beyond for you. Tech Support is generally forgotten as soon as the problem is solved. A note like that would really make his day. :hysterical:

Excellent! It is a sadly cutthroat business and you get a lot more feedback from the angry customers than from the happy ones. It's good to support the folks who really do a good job. Glad you sent it :hysterical:

I complete the survey's 99% of the time; telling the company of my pleasure or displeasure.Virgin Mobile got some very scathing surveys back from me.Generally I like Virgin Mobile and have been with them for years with no problem. Now all of a sudden, they "forget" that I'm on automatic top-up. Every three months, $15 is posted to my credit card. I went to use my phone - no service. It hadn't been topped up. The same thing happened to my husband at different times.I've told them to contact me, by email if there are any problems. I get no emails about problems (no my credit card has not changed and Netflix has NEVER had a problem getting the monthly deduction working), instead I get 4 or 5 emails about Lady Gaga's tour! I'm steaming. My survey comments included all that info - no other company has had a problem with my cc. What is wrong with Virgin Mobile?Then I read Virgin Mobile was sold. A light bulb went off. No problems until another company took it over and now from running perfectly, it is half-baked.We stick with them because we are grandfathered. Our cell phones cost $5/month and the money never expires. We don't use them much so I must have over $100 on mine. My husband uses his at times to call his sister in FL and use up some of the money. Neither of us are cell phone addicts. They are turned of 99% of the time and just sit in the car waiting for an emergency.

Well, the lady gaga emails from Virgin Mobile stopped. Of course, that could be because the tour is over.Now I get emails telling me my phone hasn't been topped up. Sometimes they arrive a few days after I've gone to the VM website to be sure the phone is topped up and it has been. I now mark on my kitchen calendar the dates when both phones get topped up so I remember to login and check.