New version of Microsoft Security Essentials released

Tushman

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. I installed it. Seems to be working OK (after the initial operating system destruction and a complete reinstall B) ).

Yup. I installed it. Seems to be working OK (after the initial operating system destruction and a complete reinstall :( ).
Eric, after your last experience of MSE messing up your system, I'm still not 100% sold on this product. I refuse to put it on any of my systems. I know there's a lot of people saying it's a great AV - blah blah blah. I say if you can afford a reasonably priced AV like NOD32 for $40 - it's the better option.

I'm not going to take any 1 person's word for it. Nor do I doubt it has some effectiveness to it. I've got nothing against Fred Langa but I wonder just how well he personally tested it before recommend it. I'm sticking with my NOD32. No reason to switch.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I don't really think it was MSE that trashed my system. I'm pretty sure it was an improperly uninstalled Avast! that did it. :(

Well, I don't really think it was MSE that trashed my system. I'm pretty sure it was an improperly uninstalled Avast! that did it. :(
Eric based on your posting in the thread I was referring to, it sure made it sound like MSE was the culprit. How did you come upon the conclusion that Avast! was culprit?"I installed MS Essentials last night. It trashed my Win 7 installation. Win Updates stopped working. Win Defender conflicted and wouldn't update anymore. MS Essentials wouldn't update. Restore did not fix. Probably Reg errors at that point.Reinstalling Win 7 now." Edited by Tushman

V.T. Eric Layton

Because, to tell you the truth, I don't remember if I did the required reboot in between removing Avast!/installing MSE. It may have been my fault that the crash happened. Since Win 7 is working wonderfully well with MSE after the wipe/reinstall, I can only speculate on what happened. However, it's working great now. :(

I wonder just how well he personally tested it
4 months ....Microsoft's software has quietly kept two Windows 7 PCs free of infections, even in dangerous public environments.

I'm surprised that Corrine hasn't posted this yet.Version 2.0 was released a few days ago.
:hysterical: I've been so busy preparing for Christmas, I apparently missed posting here. I did manage to blog about it though: Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 Released ~ Security Garden
Everyone has different surfing habits. Anyone can get hit by a drive-by install that is not in detection yet. Hopefully, however, it won't happen to any of us!
Well, I don't really think it was MSE that trashed my system. I'm pretty sure it was an improperly uninstalled Avast! that did it. :hysterical:
The current recommendation is to run AppRemover after uninstalling an A/V or A/M software: http://www.appremover.com/supported-applications . Anything missing from AppRemover is likely covered at Ultimate List of Uninstallers: [2] Uninstallers for Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Programs.

V.T. Eric Layton

You'd think being the main target of all the badness out there for the past 20 years that MS would be EXPERTS in the virus/malware field. :hysterical:

as i've said before, i trust ms as an entry level in the av field, it's not their cup of tea (i suspect they don't invest heavily in r&d on that.)not having an av lab, i'd trust the free av products a bit more.the av products that are for sale have revenue to spend on product development, so i trust them more, it's what they do.
Of course Microsoft has AV labs, and not limited to the U.S. How else do you suppose trojans, viruses, adware, spyware, etc. are added to detection? An example of published analysis can be found from the RSS link: http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/R...opList3RSS.aspxBTW, there is also Forefront for corporate customers. Both, by the way, use the same definitions. (Temmu, although he is very closed-mouthed about what he does at MS, where do you suppose Aaron works?)

I just did my first install of MSSE on someone's computer. I have two Dells here. Both are Dimensions 2400. Both had 256MB of RAM and both were running XP Home SP2. I had a spare stick of RAM so I picked one of the two and put it in that one. I did everything I had to do to the 256MB one first (updated to SP3, removed old av program, installed AntiVir, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, all patches thru Nov. 2010 and updated IE from 6 to 7).Yesterday I started on the "faster" computer. From the minute I installed AntiVir, the computer crawled. It took minutes for the Start menu to open and the right click menu took even longer. I kept looking in task manager but could see nothing weird. I uninstalled AntiVir and replaced it with MSSE and the computer is working fine. I've done most of the updating, patching and scanning.Funny, the 256MB computer was used by the daughter when she was in hs so it has iTunes, Quicktime and I even saw Limewire (which I removed). I'd have expected that one to give me problems but it did not.