To ALL SNF Members and Friends

V.T. Eric Layton

Corrine, what do you usually fill your vareniki (known as perogi in my area of PA) with?My favorite is mashed potatoes, cheese and onions. Note: I do not make my own. We can buy these home made by some church ladies at local churches.

Corrine, what do you usually fill your vareniki (known as perogi in my area of PA) with?My favorite is mashed potatoes, cheese and onions. Note: I do not make my own. We can buy these home made by some church ladies at local churches.
I no longer make my own. The hands just can't take the crimping. My favorite is potatoes & cheese, boiled and served with sauteed onions & sour cream. My mother-in-law taught me how to make it with cream cheese or "Farmer's Cheese" (a form of cottage cheese, drained & in a block). I've also made it with sauerkraut -- although the sauerkraut was not out of the package, rather first rinsed, simmered, drained and then slowly cooked with onions in a bit of EVOO. I haven't done mushrooms but my mother-in-law made those too. Happy New Year everyone!

My mouth is watering!I made pork and sauerkraut for New Year's Day. That is traditional for the PA-Dutch palate in our area.I got smart and discovered a crock pot recipe quite a few years ago. I put sauerkraut, sliced apples, sliced onions, brown sugar, garlic powder, pepper and a cheap cut of pork (bone in) in the crock pot New Years Eve. 4 hours on high and 12 hours on low. By the time we get up New Year's Day, the house has a heavenly smell. I lift the pork put and the bone just falls away from the meat. Served with mashed potatoes it is our normal "good luck" New Year's Day meal.