Which tasks for hand-coding and which for WYSIWYG?

Teffy

Folks who use both a hand-coder like HTML-Kit, and a WYSIWYG editor such as Dreamweaver:which tasks do you do in which editor?I have been using HTML-Kit to edit HTML for some time, and while I am always learning new things about it, it feels comfortable. I downloaded a trial version of Dreamweaver and am trying to figure out how a lone amateur HTML coder such as myself might use Dreamweaver as an auxiliary tool. I code for non-profit orgs, and have kept things simple in the hope of not excluding viewers with slow connections or limited browsing experience. But, maybe I need to shift my thinking to avoid a boring look. Perhaps this topic should have its own thread...Thanks,Teffy

With my students once I get them up to doing tables I usually will switch them over to WYSIWYG. But I also make them print out the code and proof it with each assignment. They quickly see that it is sometimes easier to fix mistakes on the code side to make sure they get it right. I do most of my real work in code but let the WYSIWG set up the style sheets for me. That is just too easy to mess with doing in code! Even though I am in Dreamweaver myself most of the time now, I usually work with a split screen and find I do my editing in the code on the top while looking at my results on the bottom half in the wysiwg!--------------------Julia

The nice feature of Dreamweaver MX 2004 is the improved editing window. You can now do a split screen with Design & Code views. You can have your WYSIWYG and hand-coding cake and eat it, too. B) My philosophy is that web designers need some skill in hand-coding, not because it proves you are a great web programmer, but because you must be flexible enough to understand someone else's code if need to update it and it helps you structure your pages semantically. Plus, there are times when your favourite WYSIWYG editor is not available.That being said I use hand-coding to set up my document structure, especially for putting in the appropriate id= or class= attributes for the tags I want to style. Then I use Dreamweaver to write my external style sheets. I also use Dreamweaver's really cool Site feature to upload the pages to the appropriate remote web site. It has the best site management tool around. Plus, Dreamweaver has some neat wizards for writing simple PHP and ColdFusion applications.

With my students once I get them up to doing tables I usually will switch them over to WYSIWYG. --------------------Julia
Julia,New mantra for the 21st century: no tables for layout! B)

Tell that to the state!  They make us teach it still!
You know what you could argue with? They could be liable for web sites that are not accessible. All it takes is one blind web user who can't access the State's web site with a screen reader and they could be looking at a multimillion dollar lawsuit!