PHP

nilson

PHP is my favorite language to code in. I try to do C++, but my $50 of books can't even help me there :(SO, do you hate it, love it, or just don't care?BTW, great new forum. :teehee:

PHP is great. Wish I had more time to sit down and learn the syntax. I've been playing around with it for about 2 years now. For a free web technology it can't be beat. Anyway, I need to develop a small PHP application at work this week so wish me luck.

Good luck ;) The largest thing I've written in PHP is Nilson's Blogger (which is nearing 0.9, after almost four months of development). It's a blog tool that can be installed on any webserver that supports PHP 4+, and requires no database.Check it out: here. I'm gonna make a nice site for it one day, but for now the thread will have to do ;)My next undertaking might be some kind of underpowered forum, or guestbook, comment system, something of that nature. I'm not sure yet B)

PHP ROCKS. My signature at MPC (and here for 1 day) is php translated and changed to a png. Pretty sweet stuff--my buddy Dave created it for me. The fantastic thing is it fools any forum software into thinking it is not dynamic when it really is. B)

One question, how do you make your signature use a php script? I wrote something a while ago that I want to use, but I don't know how to make your sig link to the file.

Here's the php code for my signature, Nilson. Is this what you're looking for?

[URL=http://www.freedomlist.com/forum][IMG=http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/449011/FLgreyLogo.gif][/URL]

Not quite, I have this file:

<?php//Original file by Nilson Cain.  Quotations are from various sources.//Complete rewrite by Nilson Cain, November 13, 2003.function showQuote(){	//Quotations$saying = array(  "Brain damage is only in your head.",  "A rolling stone gathers no moss.",  "Your lucky number has been disconnected.",  "What is the sound of one hand clapping?",  "The results of your I.Q. test are in.  You've failed.",  "If you meet someone without a smile, give them one of yours. ",  "Silence is the fence around wisdom.",  "A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered desk drawer.",  "Don’t say negative things about yourself.  People might agree with you!",  "The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.  --Albert Einstein",  "He who sits in a well to look at the sky can see but little.  Plus, your rear is wet.",  "Escalators never break down, they can only become stairs.");//Generate a random number to pick the quotation$use = rand(0,(count($saying) -1));//Return the selected quotationreturn ($saying[$use]);}echo showQuote();?>

hosted online, and I basically want my sig to BE what that script returns.

PHP ROCKS.  My signature at MPC (and here for 1 day) is php translated and changed to a png.  Pretty sweet stuff--my buddy Dave created it for me.  The fantastic thing is it fools any forum software into thinking it is not dynamic when it really is.  B)
Oh, I see. You are using image libraries to generate an image. Too bad there's no way to use the value a script returns in text form.

The secret is the htaccess file...and that is all I can say. :thumbsup: Dynamic image removed. Dynamic images are not allowed per the upcoming revision of the forum rules. - Arena2045You used to simply be able to save a php file as .png and do a little creative code in IB but the dynamic image search checks for it.Mike :)

Edited by Arena2045

OK, thanks :thumbsup: Where can I see an example of code to put text in an image? I'm not directly asking for your code, but something basic that I could use, and transparent background. Thanks.

Guest LilBambi

There is a very good reason to disallow that type of scripting in forum software like IPB. It could be a very dangerous thing to allow that type of scripting within a forum in the wrong hands.To quote IPB:

Advanced programmers can force images to run as scripts. The software limits damage by this method however.
:thumbsup:

My little fooling around: Dynamic image removed. Dynamic images are not allowed per the upcoming revision of the forum rules. - Arena2045

Edited by Arena2045

Guest LilBambi

I think what that IPB thing was stating was that the software itself will prevent many, if not all dynamic images.I seem to remember someone trying to use one before that didn't work.I don't know what the requirements or limitations are regarding this. Was just remembering when someone had tried it awhile back and what ever script they were using wouldn't work in the forums.

It's not a bug - there's nothing you can do. Unless you load the image serveral times to see if its content changes, it's undetectable, as the extension IS .png, and the image is a PNG. I also have unhacked my way of doing things and configured a .htaccess file. Don't worry, though, if you don't want me to use something like that in my sig, I won't

I think what that IPB thing was stating was that the software itself will prevent many, if not all dynamic images.I seem to remember someone trying to use one before that didn't work.I don't know what the requirements or limitations are regarding this. Was just remembering when someone had tried it awhile back and what ever script they were using wouldn't work in the forums.
LilBambi, the image I posted above IS a dynamic image--everytime you refresh the page the quote changes so there are work arounds to IPB. I used the image above in my sig here for 1 day until I was told the image was simply too big. Not wanting to break any rules I took it out. And more recent versions cannot block the script either as the processing is not done via perl or the url foolery I used to use...it is finished as saved as an image even before IPB looks at it.Now the issues re: what can happen in the hands of a bad individual is actually limited. They may cause a bit of an annoyance but nothing too damaging can happen--this is just one of the things we have to deal with as forum goers. =)

Dynamic images are distinctly turned off in Admin, so I was wondering what was going on.Sounds like there is a bug that's allowing the hack to work.  B)
nilson is right it is no bug. Have you ever noticed those sigs at some forums that shows what song an individual is listening to and what % it is at? They are rampant at IPB. Those images are coded in php and use a plugin from winamp and they are everywhere. That is in essence the same as the image above--both are dynamic and both are png files before IPB checks it.

While our forum rules don’t specifically mention that dynamic images are not allowed, we prefer that you don’t use them. – We are discussing the subject once again.The first few times that I tried to access this thread it crashed Safari. I had to block images then empty the cache and try again.We don’t want users to abuse the features that we offer, and we have certain features off because of the possibilities of scripting (Flash is an example). It would be sad if we had to disable images completely. Also it tends to slow down the thread page load time.

Folks…This thread is in many ways linked to another thread that has been temporarily removed (but not deleted). The subject is using PHP or any other scripting language to create a way in which a dynamic image is created, and how to use that image to side step the forum security settings.We are working on a revised version of our forum rules that will specifically say that dynamic images/scripts, under all circumstances will NOT be allowed.The fact that it is hard to tell whether or not an image is in fact a dynamic image/script is also known by the Senior staff.Side note: This will also be covered in the upcoming changes to the forum rules… Please do not post complete or substantial segments of code that can be used in a malicious way (hacking etc.) We understand that many scripts or programs can be edited, but if a fellow member is interested, contact them privately.Thank you.

PHP is the best thing since sliced bread! It can do everything, if not more, than ASP, Perl, etc., without the steep learning curve. If you've the basic programming skills and concepts down, PHP is a breeze! Even if you don't the PHP manual is probably the best, most accurate manual I've ever seen.