DSL or Cable Modem?

60's Kid

Since we are into showing speed test results, my RoadRunner cable service stats using the www.numion.com URL previously mentioned are:27236 Bps and 218 Kbps measured using websites in the World option.35236 Bps and 282 Kbps measured using websites in the US option.And342 KBps (2736 Kbps) measured using RoadRunner's speed test between their servers and my connection.But these speed stats are only a measure of the service at a particular point in time. To properly determine line speed one needs to collect stats over a period of time and average them. And there is a big difference between what the ISP can provide and what the actual 'net will produce.

Tomorrow I go from that 512 to 1.5 service on DSL. Sure I could get cable at 2.0 but we are probably going to ditch our cable because it is highly unreliable around here. We watched them lay the cable lines and they spliced them about every house. :(. I will wait until tomorrow and then run the DSL services speed test to see what I get. I was running 95% of the speed I am suppsoe to be getting now so I am looking forward to the upgrade. It is going to cost me a whopping $5 more than I am paying now (rates have gone down in the 1.5 years since I started DSL. It just took a call to tell them I was looking at switching to get lower rates. Plus the cable service here had 1/5 the web space the DSL provides (one 6-10 MB site (they could not tell me if I would be allowed 6 or 10!) versus five 10 MB sites now (one for each mailbox). The plus was the cable had no limit on transfers from the web site and the DSL has a limit that I seem to be reaching with traffic at the end of each month since Isabel. Of course, interest will die out soon and I will yank that site anyway but as long as traffic is maxing out there is no reason to pull it. I also have a site where daughter posts her latest animation projects so we can see them rather than emailing a file of that size. :w00t: That means two sites right now at maximum size. I sure would not want to go down.The long and short - DSL seems to fit my needs now even though they just started cable service and all the year-round residents in my neighborhood seem to be switching to that. After the introductory period for the cable there will be only a $5 difference in rates for the two services so it really becomes personal preference and what your individual needs happen to be at that moment in time.

I used to have DSL until I recently moved into a condo and decided to go with roadrunner's cable service. Cable blows my old dsl connection out of the water. DSL maxed out at about 80KB/sec most of the time(768 down, 384 up).Here are my cable speedtest results:http://www.dslreports.com/stest2788 kbpscnet2232 kbpsmcafee2.325 Mbps

Cable is faster, but in my area SBC offers up to 1.5 service for $26/mon (no setup fees, free modem) versus $47/mon for Comcast (plus setup fees). And around here (Hammond,IN) Comcast is far from reliable, and more than a few people have gotten the official "IP abuser" warnings for excessive downloading (no caps with SBC/DSL). And SBC will allow you to re-up at the same price. With the money saved this year I was able to buy a DVD burner and 160g HD. SBC/DSL is fast enough, very reliable, and I like the new toys I've been able to buy with the savings over cable.

• 2 weeks later...

Comcast Cable - them at a high cost ($70-$75 I think) or dial-up (yuck! painfully slow) ($20/monthly or $200/year).http://www.numion.comDate/time Throughput 1 Saturday, November 29, 2003 12:49:16 AM 79158 Bps 633 kbps 2 Saturday, November 29, 2003 12:47:48 AM 76834 Bps 615 kbps 3 Saturday, November 29, 2003 12:46:05 AM 55419 Bps 443 kbps Average: 70470 Bps 564 kbpshttp://webservices.cnet.com2144 Kbpshttp://speedtest.dslreports.com2003-11-29 00:50:51 EST: 2626 / 199Your download speed : 2626492 bps, or 2626 kbps.A 320.6 KB/sec transfer rate.Your upload speed : 199322 bps, or 199 kbps.Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!It takes about an hour to get a 600MB-700MB ISO of linux. :w00t: :w00t:

And SBC will allow you to re-up at the same price.
Are you sure about that? :w00t: I thought the offer of $26.95 a month was good for only one year? I just got DSL last month from SBC and my understanding was that this rate was a promo. Then after one year it went to $39.95 for the low end DSL and $49.95 for the faster DSL speed.

Are you sure about that? :w00t: I thought the offer of $26.95 a month was good for only one year? I just got DSL last month from SBC and my understanding was that this rate was a promo. Then after one year it went to $39.95 for the low end DSL and $49.95 for the faster DSL speed.
Yes I am pretty sure. Many have been doing it. My term is about to expire so I will be calling Monday to re-up ( you want to do this before your term expires). I am also expecting to go from my current 768/128 plan to 1.5/128 and still remain at my $29.95/mon price (maybe I can get it for $26.95). SBC has also been upping the uploads (without extra charges) system wide for most CO based accounts (the RT based are lagging, unfortunately I'm on an RT), that should totally completed by the 2nd Q 2004. Most 128's will go (many already have been) to 256, and 256's will go to 384 (actual speeds a little less due to PPPoe overhead). I might get a little flak because I am not a "Total Solutions" customer, but I've at least gone with SBC's long distance now so I should be OK.What kind of numbers are you getting now? Check them here:http://support.sbcglobal.net/dsl/speedtest/For solid advice, troubleshooting, and Techs who can check your line for problems etc. go here (this the Midwest SBC forum):http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ilec,am

Are you sure about that? ;) I thought the offer of $26.95 a month was good for only one year? I just got DSL last month from SBC and my understanding was that this rate was a promo. Then after one year it went to $39.95 for the low end DSL and $49.95 for the faster DSL speed.
Hey Rons,Just got done IMing Annamoose (SBC rep who hangs at the SBC forum) about a re-up at the same price. Looks good, will see how my speed looks on my target date of 12/08. And hopefully the upload should go up to 256 (most CO based accounts already have, I'm on a RT, those are being done later) by the the 2nd Q of 2004 (the target date for the whole system upgrade).sbc2.jpg

Here is a collection of links that might help:Link to: DSL or Cable Internet, what should I get?If you decide to go wiyh DSL.Link to: DSL PPPOE and Cable/DSL Routers.As far as the online Speed testers they are fun but rarely capable to measure correctly. There this many variables on your computer and in between to be able to do it correctly. You can to measure every 15min (coz you will not get the same reading every time) and see what you get, and than declare the highest “Speed†as you “Speed†and be happy or:Link to: Measuring the "Speed" of Internet Connection..