Network File Sharing... How-to?

V.T. Eric Layton

It doesn't take a crystal ball to know that they're likely as tired of being there as you are of hosting them... again. But in the current economy it's tough to gather enough filthy lucre to get away. But one thing I can tell you for sure about the economy - it WILL change. We seem to be pretty near the bottom of the cycle at this point, so it'll gradually swing back up again and they'll be out of your hair.Also Sprach Chipathustra! :)

I saw that movie in its first run way back in 1968 and it totally blew me away. Though I'd been a SciFi guy for years, there was something really moving about being able to SEE it like that. It really opened up my mind and in many ways shaped my outlook to this day.

Topic? There was a topic? :( Right. The topic: You have a modem with router capabilities, you have two computers successfully connected to the modem/router... now, if we were talking about engines, this would be, "we have combustion, we have flammable fuel, we have a spark... it MUST start".One topic re-railed –Urmas :P

Alright already. Get back on topic. Sheeesh! :unsure:
You're just jealous, you young whippersnapper. We got to see it in it's full Kubrick/Clarke glory, not all washed out on TV.

You're just jealous, you young whippersnapper. We got to see it in it's full Kubrick/Clarke glory, not all washed out on TV.
It's not at all bad on my widescreen at home, but it sure was magnificent on the big screen in the theater in 1968. Of course the bleeding edge was 4-bit computers back then...

• 1 year later...
V.T. Eric Layton

So, with my ericsbane05 (main system), ericslaptop01, ericsshop02, and jenslaptop all up and running these days, I considered trying to get that file/printer sharing via my router going again. After an hour or so worth of searching and reading, I've decided that it's still not worth all the trouble. Sadly, this is one thing that MS Windows has made really easy for the user. In Linux, not so much... ssh, samba, nfs, static IPs, port forwarding, etc. YIKES! I have a headache now.

securitybreach

Well if they all run Linux, it is easy to ssh into your machines via separate ports on the router. And if you need the gui to transfer files, gftp is a great ssh/ftp FM client

V.T. Eric Layton

Can I still ssh without having static IPs and port forwarding (to avoid the router's firewall), etc?

securitybreach
Can I still ssh without having static IPs and port forwarding (to avoid the router's firewall), etc?

If your router gives you the option of using the mac addy instead of IP address. I do this on all of my machines but I also have a ddwrt compatible router that gives the option.

Why not just give your machines static IPs as it is much easier to do things that way?

V.T. Eric Layton

I guess I could just give them static IPs, as you suggest. I only really need to do this for file transfers. I'm not too concerned with printer sharing. I can figure printing out later, if need be.

I'm a networking dummy. I need to learn this all from scratch, as I've never utilized it before. I've always only had one system at a time around here to a year or so ago. Now I have 4 running on my network. It's a pain to use external media or thumb drives to transfer small files all the time. It would be nice just to access the files and move them around in real time on the network.

So, what do I need to do?

1. Set static IPs for my devices within my router. Yes?

2. ssh into a remote machine (say ericsshop02) using my main system. Yes?

$ ssh ericsshop02

Then what? :(

securitybreach
I guess I could just give them static IPs, as you suggest. I only really need to do this for file transfers. I'm not too concerned with printer sharing. I can figure printing out later, if need be.

I'm a networking dummy. I need to learn this all from scratch, as I've never utilized it before. I've always only had one system at a time around here to a year or so ago. Now I have 4 running on my network. It's a pain to use external media or thumb drives to transfer small files all the time. It would be nice just to access the files and move them around in real time on the network.

So, what do I need to do?

1. Set static IPs for my devices within my router. Yes?

2. ssh into a remote machine (say ericsshop02) using my main system. Yes?

$ ssh ericsshop02

Then what? :(

Well if you want to move files just open up gftp, fill in the details and start moving files. Or you could do this (what I do), https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ssh#Mo...stem_with_SSHFS

securitybreach

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 12:53 PM 
╚═══ ~-> ls -l remote/
total 0

╚═══ ~-> sshfs -p xxxx comhack@xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home/comhack/ remote/
comhack@69.164.210.120's password: 

╚═══ ~-> ls -l remote/
total 1756
drwxr-xr-x 1 comhack users    4096 Jan  6 10:38 akismet
-rw-r--r-- 1 comhack users   30342 Jan  7 09:38 akismet.zip
drwxr-xr-x 1 comhack users    4096 Feb 18 22:40 byob
-rw-r--r-- 1 comhack users      19 Aug 17  2011 cacheclean
-rw------- 1 comhack users 1586440 Sep  2  2010 comhack site.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 comhack users  109944 Mar  9 00:05 DarkStar_120309_0035.nmon
-rw-r--r-- 1 comhack users    4392 Feb 11  2010 downloads.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 comhack users    7093 Dec  3 23:55 hardcopy.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 comhack users    5477 Sep  2  2010 index.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 comhack users     527 Oct 17  2010 installed_packages.txt
drwxrwxrwx 1 root    root     4096 Dec  9  2010 php
dr-x------ 1 comhack users    4096 Jun 27  2011 Private
-rw-r--r-- 1 comhack users      37 Jul  5  2011 users
-rw-r--r-- 1 comhack users      13 Nov  3  2010 users~
drwxrwxrwx 1 root    root     4096 Jan  4 12:21 wordpress
drwxr-xr-x 1 comhack users    4096 Sep  5  2010 wordpress stuff

╚═══ ~->

Granted that was a remote session so you will change it to suite a local machine (IP/port #).

V.T. Eric Layton

Man! I can't even figure out how to set a static IP addy for my devices. I remember now how frustrating this was a year ago when I first tried it. :(

securitybreach
Man! I can't even figure out how to set a static IP addy for my devices. I remember now how frustrating this was a year ago when I first tried it. :(

It is simple, first set the ip you want to use on your router's config page. Then open up your network settings and fill in the appropriate IP, subnet, etc.

securitybreach

Here is what I use in my /etc/rc.conf:

interface=eth0

address=192.168.1.2

netmask=255.255.255.0

broadcast=192.168.1.254

gateway=192.168.1.1

192.168.1.2 being my computer and 192.168.1.1 is the router.

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, I think I get all three systems (four, if you count both Ethernet and wireless for the laptop) assigned static IPs in the router config area. I can ssh into the shop system, which is WAAAAAAAY COOL, but I'm getting this error going both ways to or from the laptop (Ethernet or wireless):

vtel57_Slackware~:$ ssh ericslaptop01 
ssh: connect to host ericslaptop01 port 22: Connection refused

What gives? :(

securitybreach
OK, I think I get all three systems (four, if you count both Ethernet and wireless for the laptop) assigned static IPs in the router config area. I can ssh into the shop system, which is WAAAAAAAY COOL, but I'm getting this error going both ways to or from the laptop (Ethernet or wireless):

vtel57_Slackware~:$ ssh ericslaptop01 
ssh: connect to host ericslaptop01 port 22: Connection refused

What gives? :(

Did you change the default port from 22? If not, I would advise doing that. I know that does not explain your error but better to not use the default port.

To use a different port, you need to use the -p switch.

EX: ssh -p 6666 ericslaptop01

V.T. Eric Layton

Couldn't I change the default port in the ssh.conf file?

Anyway, I'm out in the shop now. I can't ssh into the lappy or the main system from here. Same port 22 error as lappy inside. I'm sure it's something simple.

Thanks for the help, by the way. :)

No matter what port I choose, "connection refused. :(

securitybreach

I know it sounds goofy, but is ssh running on the system you are trying to connect to?

You need the daemon running on the remote machine (server) that you are trying to connect to.

V.T. Eric Layton

HAHAHA! I was one step ahead of you, little brother! And you were right, it was not a goofy suggestion. The ssh daemon was not running on the laptop or the shop system. Once I enabled execution of the /etc/rc.d/rc.sshd script and rebooted, it WORKS! YAY! YIPPEE! I can access via command line between all three systems for file editing and manipulation purposes. To actually transfer folders/files, I can use gFTP. Works like a champ! YAY!

Thanks for all the help, Josh. By the way, I called you a few minutes ago using the number that I've had for you for a while now. I got Jennifer (nice sounding young lady ;) ) instead of you. I think I have an old number for you. Email me with your super-secret new number please. ;)

Later...

securitybreach

BTW I am about to go to work so you will have to call some other time. I am usually available during the daytime or after 2200 cst (UTC−06)

V.T. Eric Layton

10-4. I was just calling to thank you, anyway. I don't have a voice today. I've been battling a sore throat for 5 days now. I'm fighting off some crud, I guess. I'm actually starting to feel better today, though.

Anyway, when you get home later you can tell me what the advantages of:

1. changing my default port for ssh - security by obscurity, I assume. Right?

2. using ssh key pairs rather than passwords - more security so my passwords aren't bouncing all over the neighborhood via my wifi. Right?

Thanks again... I have to go set this up in Arch now. I imagine that should be simpler than it was in Slackware... usually is. ;)

Later...

Eric

I am really impressed!

How the heck did you even remember that this thread existed from way back when!

Great to hear you finally got this up and running the way you wanted.

Next time I decide to set this up, there's one more person to help me figure it out. :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

I woke up this morning thinking about it because I realized that it's silly of me, being a technical wizard and all, to be running back and forth between these systems with my little thumb drive or my handful of cds trying to transfer files from one machine to another. I mean MAN!, this is the new millennium, dude. I really need to get with the program here. It's Linux. I can do it (with a little help ;) ).

It's all working now. I'm really not too worried about changing the default port for ssh. I think I would have to forward the new port in my router to make it work, anyway. On my little home network, where 2 of the three systems are usually powered down, I doubt some hacker in the neighborhood is going to break my WPA2 encryption and my system user passwords also. I guess it could be done, though, if someone really wanted all of uncle Bob's tinfoil hat designs that I keep on my local machines because I'm too paranoid about cloud computing.

Off I go...

V.T. Eric Layton

It's like playing with new toys on Sunday morning. I just found out that I can remotely shutdown my ssh'd machines. Isn't that COOL! Yeah, I'm new to this remote access thing. Can you tell?

And about reviving the old thread... I used the board search function. It works well when you know what you're looking for. :yes: