Temmu

"remote in"

greets!in windows, you use rdp to get from your laptop to your home pc.say you have a mac tower machine at home, and have a macbook on the road, and want to rdp onto that machine.how?thanks.

Temmu,If you are member of Mobile Me, you can setup "Back to my mac". It will require you to do a little bit of router configuration to make sure it can properly talk via the ports it needs. It will allow you to screen share/mount drive shares/etc. While I am a MM customer, I have opted for a different solution. I didn't want to hassle with opening more ports on my router.The second option is to go out and upgrade to Mac OS X server. OS X Server has a built in VPN server with an easy to use front-end to manage what is offered. I've used this, and it works. The cost is up there... Worth the mention, but will probably be overlooked...A third option is to buy a 3rd party solution that enables the already-installed (but doesn't have a public front end) VPN server. By buying the VPN server enabler, you can then use that machine as a VPN server and remote back in and use screen sharing to access your machine, and more. I have tried this... the software that I bought worked, but had one major bug. The developer didn't really have intentions on updating, since it really did just enable the VPN server. The problem (the bug) was in their choice of applying DRM to their app - aka their licensing system couldn't remember that I was registered!!! If you want the name, let me know and I'll dig through my records.The fourth option, and one that I continue to use, is a 3rd party solution called ShareTool. ShareTool must have 2 licenses: 1 server - your home machine, and 1 client - your mobile computer (reasonably priced). ShareTool runs in the menu bar once setup to share, and makes it extremely simple to remote into your home computer securely. You have access to all of the Bonjour services within the ShareTool client app, and more. I would go for the ShareTool route. It's really the easiest, most robust, and feature rich option. You can find more information at the ShareTool website: http://www.yazsoft.com/products/sharetool/* I'm not directly affiliated with Apple or Yazsoft (makers of ShareTool) other than being a satisfied customer.

thank you very much for the detailed reply, arena2045!am still holding my breath for funding for all this, but will post and let you know which direction was taken.