RPM rocks!!

ross549

Just installed gthumb (picture veiwer and touch-up tool) using rpm. Wow! so much easier than tarballs!!!I used the instructions given to me by Bruno for installing Gaim. Really simple- just searched rpmfind.net, download, rpm, and update the kmenu.So simple, so very simple. And here I was grumbling about how hard it was to install software in Linux.Now I just need a really great FTP client, and I may be able to give up windows entirely. Does anyone have any recommendations for something other then the default installed programs in drake?

I used SmartFTP in windows..... would like a similar program for linux.
Wow! Looks like a really nice program! Thanks for the link. (I still use the free version of WS_FTP in windows :w00t: )

Try these ftp clients. :w00t:
To be honest, I really did not like any of the clients there.....I would use Kbear, but I cannot seem to keep it running for more than 30 seconds. It just crashes.

I used SmartFTP in windows..... would like a similar program for linux.
Wow! Looks like a really nice program! Thanks for the link. (I still use the free version of WS_FTP in windows :w00t: )
Yeah. SmartFTP is awesome. very simple and powerful. I just hope I can find a really great program for Linux.

AdamThe first time I tried gFTP I did not like it. Last time it worked like a champ. It was quick and easy. Good luck. Hope you find one you like.By the way, your local BX has tons of Linux books all marked down to either $9.99 or $14.99. Of course, I cleaned them out yesterday. :w00t:

Hi Adam,Glad you like RPM . . . but if you think RPM is good, wait till you tried URPMI, that´s even better:You set up sources, this will create a database of thousands of packages ( simple to do, see: RPM sources for 9.2 )Then all you have to do is open a console and type:# urpmi <name_of_package>And it will look in the database if you have the file on your CD´s, if not it will download it from the internet and also get the dependencies ( other files ) it needs, then it will automatically install the package and put an entry in the menu. All that with just one command, fail-proof guaranteed. ( URPMI works only in Mandrake )The ftp client: You know Adam, I´m a simple guy . . . I use Kget that is integrated in konqueror, it has a "droptarget" you drag and drop the file on the target and it asks you where you want to store the download, you say yes and it starts downloading. You can drop as many files as you want on the target, and it takes care of it.Have fun my friendB) Bruno

Glad you like RPM . . . but if you think RPM is good, wait till you tried URPMI, that´s even better:You set up sources, this will create a database of thousands of packages ( simple to do, see: RPM sources for 9.2 )Then all you have to do is open a console and type:# urpmi <name_of_package>And it will look in the database if you have the file on your CD´s, if not it will download it from the internet and also get the dependencies ( other files ) it needs, then it will automatically install the package and put an entry in the menu. All that with just one command, fail-proof guaranteed. ( URPMI works only in Mandrake )
That sounds really nice :D Now i'm jealous :w00t:

Guest LilBambi

I have always used gFTP, it reminds me very much of WS_FTP in Windows that I have used for years.The best features of any type of FTP is the resume features that doesn't always work right through web page downloads even with ftp links on the site.

I like what I see there... it is installed, but how do I run it???
< locate iglooFTP >That will tell u where all the files are listed. The one you are looking for is probably in /usr/bin/ or /usr/local/bin. If not, paste what you got in here, and we'll go from there. ;)Also, just try typing < iglooFTP > and see if that opens it.

[root@localhost Documents]# rpm -ihv IglooFTP-PRO-dyn-1.2.3-1.i386.rpmPreparing...                ########################################### [100%]        package IglooFTP-PRO-dyn-1.2.3-1 is already installed[root@localhost Documents]# locate iglooFTP

locate does not turn anything up.

Hi Adam,Glad you like RPM . . . but if you think RPM is good, wait till you tried URPMI, that´s even better:You set up sources, this will create a database of thousands of packages ( simple to do, see: RPM sources for 9.2 )Then all you have to do is open a console and type:# urpmi <name_of_package>And it will look in the database if you have the file on your CD´s, if not it will download it from the internet and also get the dependencies ( other files ) it needs, then it will automatically install the package and put an entry in the menu. All that with just one command, fail-proof guaranteed. ( URPMI works only in Mandrake )The ftp client: You know Adam, I´m a simple guy . . . I use Kget that is integrated in konqueror, it has a "droptarget" you drag and drop the file on the target and it asks you where you want to store the download, you say yes and it starts downloading. You can drop as many files as you want on the target, and it takes care of it.Have fun my friendB) Bruno
Is Gentoo's emerge similar to this URPMI?

If it was installed, then it has to show up with locate. What makes you think it is installed? Did you select the dynamic rpm and then click on it to install it?Did you follow the directions:

/usr/local/bin/IglooFTP-PRO 
. They were on the download page! :D

I like what I see there... it is installed, but how do I run it??? :D
Ross549,When I installed it (in Debian), it put an entry in my "Start menu", under "Internet" - just clicked on it and it opened and ran fine. Perhaps you can try < whereis iglooftp >, in a terminal. :D Best fortune to you, I'll try to find something.

If it was installed, then it has to show up with locate.  What makes you think it is installed?  Did you select the dynamic rpm and then click on it to install it?Did you follow the directions: 
/usr/local/bin/IglooFTP-PRO 
. They were on the download page! :D
< hanging my head in shame >Wow, I cannot beleive I missed that.....Thanks, Techer!! :D

I agree with gftp - great program and compares to ws-ftp. You like rpms??? You must not of ran into dependency issues yet. apt-get install is the sweetest and I am glad to be away from rpm, but like Bruno said try URPMI and you will be very happy.

Is Gentoo's emerge similar to this URPMI?
Yes nislon, URPMI is very similar to emerge under Gentoo, except emerge deals with source code and compiles it on your pc while urpmi downloads binaries in RPM and whatever dependencies needed be.By the way Ross, I like Gftp and recommend it since it is very stable and it does everything SmartFTP do except better.SmartFTP is the worst FTP client I ever tried on Windows.It uses some wierd Windows system files and very often it just does not work or quits in the middle of big download which can be a problem with servers that don't support resuming.All in all very unreliable software.Under Windows if you want to run the best FTP client, that is FlashFXP, period.I'll have to try Bruno's Kget and report back :devil:

Well, zox..... I am sorry that your experience with Smart FTP went so badly. I have used it for two and a half years now, and have had zero problems with it. For what it is worth, my webhost recommends it to their clients.The problem I had with kget was the moving of files around in my host's server. I had the files untar'ed into the /home/user folder, but they had to be in /home/user/user-www. For some reason, I could not get the files to copy over in kget. When I finally booted into windows and installed smartFTP, it was a simple drag and drop operation to move the files into /user-www. From what I can tell, however, is that IglooFTP looks like it is shareware. Am I going to have to buy this program to get full functionality?If so, then my search continues for a really great FTP program with drag and drop capabilities. I know there is one out there...... I am thinking at this point that I will need to setup SSH on my host to get some of these more complex operations done.

Adam,Just a litle note on the "locate" command you tried: Locate searches a database you make yourself every time you do "updatedb" as root. So if you install new software, you first have to update your database before "locate" will be able to find any files related to that new software.On ftp: do me a pleasure and start the Konqueror browser, in the toolbar next to the security icon there is a little round icon with an arrow pointing down, Click on it and drag as many files as you want at once on the "droptarget" . . it will start downloading the first 2 immedeately by default ( you can make this 1 or 10 ) . . . dunno what you would like as additional features on an ftp client. If you go to an ftp site in Konqueror it will show you the files as directories you can simply drag over to your /home/downloads. You can also doubleclick the droptarget to get a window in which you can paste the url´s of the files you want.;) Bruno

They work both Adam . . . no problem. Konquror can handle that and simply automatically puts ftp:// in front of the first one.You also can do that from your file-browser-konquerorB) Bruno

PART 2You can set your filebrowser in split view ( ftp left and home right side ) and drag and drop the files over from left to right.;) Bruno