.rpm or .deb??

rolanaj

I know PCLinuxOS used to use .rpm but it is not based on Mandriva anymore and now uses synaptic so it uses apt? Which means .deb packages is this correct?

From the Synaptic project page.

Synaptic is a graphical package management program for apt.
If you are using Synaptic then you are using APT and packages are .deb.Welcome back from the dark side.

securitybreach

Actually PCLinuxOS uses rpm packages and has always used Synaptic as its package manager.

PCLinuxOS uses APT-RPM, based on Advanced Packaging Tool (or APT), a package management system (originally from the Debian distribution), together with Synaptic Package Manager, a GUI front-end to APT,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCLinuxOSAlso, the code was forked from Mandriva but it is still based upon Mandriva:
The precursor to PCLinuxOS was a set of RPM packages created to improve successive versions of Mandrake Linux (now Mandriva Linux). These packages were created by Bill Reynolds, a packager better known as Texstar. From 2000 to 2003, Texstar maintained his repository of RPM packages in parallel with the PCLinuxOnline site. In an interview, Reynolds said he started PCLinuxOS "to provide an outlet for [his] crazy desire to package source code without having to deal with egos, arrogance and politics."In October 2003, Texstar created a fork of Mandrake Linux 9.2. Working closely with The Live CD Project, Texstar has since developed that fork independently into a full-fledged distribution.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCLinuxOS I do not know who gave you the information about PCLinuxOS but they are incorrect.

Well that explains why I was confused ;) I actually think it was from reading at the PCLinuxOS forum that I got the impression it was not based on Mandriva anymore.

Welcome back from the dark side.
I like the dark side they have cookies :thumbsup: