Recycle Bin

ibe98765

This for WinXP SP1:1. In the properties for the Recycle bin there is a checkbox for Display delete confirmation dialog. I have this checkbox cleared, which means I shouldn't get any confirmation message when I delete something from the recycle bin. BUT I get the confirmation message anyway. Is this a bug?2. Configuring the maximum size of the Recycle Bin can only be done in percent of the drive. So on 7GB logical drive, the lowest I can go for Recycle Bin size is 70 MB, which is more than I want. Anyone know where this information is stored in the registry so I can adjust the size in bytes?

Guest ThunderRiver

From your description, it is a bug, but it is quite unlikely for it to happen.I can set my recycle bin to 1% as minimum, so in your case it is 70 Mb for your 7 Gig hard drive. 70Mb is quite small if you compare it with 7 gig space. It is now in the situtation of either you want it or you don't. There is no known registry hack to make the % goes down to 0.01%, so live with it.

I don't think #1 is a bug, I think it's by design. The way I understand the "display delete confirmation dialog" is that it won't ask you if you are sure you want to delete something when ADDING it to the recycle bin. ie. if there is a file on your desktop and you delete it, you won't get the dialog asking if you are sure. MS being MS, they still ask if you are sure you want to delete the files when you 'empty' the recycle bin. <_<

I don't think #1 is a bug, I think it's by design.  The way I understand the "display delete confirmation dialog" is that it won't ask you if you are sure you want to delete something when ADDING it to the recycle bin.  ie.  if there is a file on your desktop and you delete it, you won't get the dialog asking if you are sure.  MS being MS, they still ask if you are sure you want to delete the files when you 'empty' the recycle bin.  <_<
That is exactly right JJ. It is for files being moved to the recycle bin, not emptying the recycle bin itself. I do not use the recycle bin at all, nothing goes there, it is deleted right away. I do use the "display delete confirmation dialog" to cover my butt though.

From your description, it is a bug, but it is quite unlikely for it to happen.I can set my recycle bin to 1% as minimum, so in your case it is 70 Mb for your 7 Gig hard drive. 70Mb is quite small if you compare it with 7 gig space. It is now in the situtation of either you want it or you don't. There is no known registry hack to make the % goes down to 0.01%, so live with it.
Unlike some people, I empty the Recycle Bin every day or so. So I don't need to waste 70MB of space, regardless of if it is a "small" amount relative to the size of the disk.I wonder though, is this actual pre-reserved space or is it the maximum that COULD be allocated if needed?The right-click help message is unclear:Specifies the maximum storage size of the Recycle Bin. You can conserve disk space by reducing the size of the Recycle Bin, but files that are larger than the maximum storage size will be deleted immediately instead of being stored in the Recycle Bin.

Guest ThunderRiver
I don't think #1 is a bug, I think it's by design.  The way I understand the "display delete confirmation dialog" is that it won't ask you if you are sure you want to delete something when ADDING it to the recycle bin.  ie.  if there is a file on your desktop and you delete it, you won't get the dialog asking if you are sure.  MS being MS, they still ask if you are sure you want to delete the files when you 'empty' the recycle bin.  <_<
ahh, I somehow read it as "getting confirmation when moving files into the Recycle Bin..." when the "Display delete confirmation dialog" is unchecked.

Guest ThunderRiver
Unlike some people, I empty the Recycle Bin every day or so. So I don't need to waste 70MB of space, regardless of if it is a "small" amount relative to the size of the disk.I wonder though, is this actual pre-reserved space or is it the maximum that COULD be allocated if needed?The right-click help message is unclear:Specifies the maximum storage size of the Recycle Bin. You can conserve disk space by reducing the size of the Recycle Bin, but files that are larger than the maximum storage size will be deleted immediately instead of being stored in the Recycle Bin.
If you clean up recycle bin every single day, you might as well make it down to 0%The max space you specified is the amount of space that could be allocated for Recycle Bin. If the file you delete is larger than the max you designated, it will ask you for confirmation on permanent deletion. You can experiment with it too if you like