Firefox 4 Beta

Neil P

I compiled b7 this morning and am loving it! The status bar is gone from the bottom, and I had to use an add-on bar to get it back. You need an extension called Status-4-Evar to get it back.The refresh button can be moved by right-clicking on the tab bar and choosing customize. Then you can rearrange the buttons un any order you want.

The refresh button can be moved by right-clicking on the tab bar and choosing customize. Then you can rearrange the buttons un any order you want.
;) I didn't even think of this! But I think I'm going to leave it alone, at least for a few more days. If I can't get used to it, it's nice to know I have the option of moving it back!

Personally I like the refresh where it is . And I have been using FF4 since its first release as my primary browser and I find that it is faster and better than 3.6 and I dont see any real bugs in it , It just keeps getting better , The only minor problem I have found was the extensions didnt work at first but the ones that I use have all been updated

:D Was only kidding!
I know you were Fran. That's what is so sweet about you!
Actually there is a 3.6.12 ;)
I just noticed it this morning on my wife's computer. She uses Win XP still.

Guest LilBambi
I know you were Fran. That's what is so sweet about you!
Awww! Thanks :)
I just noticed it this morning on my wife's computer. She uses Win XP still.
I wonder if they are rolling it out by IP blocks or something?

Stop teasing me!Mozilla, hurry up and go final...but not buggy! LOL!
It feels like version 4 has been at beta stage for quite a while. If it's stable & fast as people say it is....it's gotta be close to be being final. I don't have any desire to try the beta. I hope they release it soon. Edited by Tushman

So this version of the Beta (Beta 7) is what they're calling "feature complete", meaning, well, no more features will be added. All of the stuff that gets localized and the APIs and such are frozen too. So there will be a couple more beta versions after this one. However, beta 7 was planned for the middle of September and got pushed back to Wednesday, so I'm not sure how their plans have changed. According to their plan, though, they'd go until beta 10 (December 10ish) and then do a couple release candidates in January. I bet we don't see the final, release version until late January/early February.

It feels like version 4 has been at beta stage for quite a while. If it's stable & fast as people say it is....it's gotta be close to be being final. I don't have any desire to try the beta. I hope they release it soon.
There are still some bugs in the beta.One I noticed is that sometimes closing FF 4 requires the desktop be refreshed.Let them take as long as they need just so the final will be very stable and relatively bug free.Until then FF 3.6.12 ain't no slouch, neither is Chrome.

I keep hearing reports of bugs in FF4 , I have been using it right along and havent had any bugs since beta 5 .I have no problems closing it
Your using it in Linux aren't you George, I'm playing with it in Win 7.I'm confident the final will be exceptional. Edited by Frank Golden

There are still some bugs in the beta.One I noticed is that sometimes closing FF 4 requires the desktop be refreshed.
I haven't noticed too many bugs reported in the mozilla forums. Also, according to Steeler Fan the beta is extremely stable.Try updating your graphics driver.
Until then FF 3.6.12 ain't no slouch, neither is Chrome.
Don't talk to me about Chrome. It will never touch any computer I own nor will I recommend it to anyone. Edited by Tushman

Don't talk to me about Chrome. It will never touch any computer I own nor will I recommend it to anyone.
That's one of the cool things about America - we can agree to disagree and not feel obliged to bludgeon one another over the differences. I feel pretty much the same way you do - only I feel that way about Firefox.We each set our machines up the way we like.

That's one of the cool things about America - we can agree to disagree and not feel obliged to bludgeon one another over the differences.
Tell that to our politicians. The recent November elections was one more nasty & dirty campaigns I've seen in a long while. Edited by Tushman

Tell that to our politicians. The recent November elections was one more nasty & dirty campaigns I've seen in a long while.
The politicians have been that way for generations, though it is admittedly a particularly bad time at the moment. Fortunately the people as a whole seem to still be able to summon quite a bit of common sense when necessary.

The politicians have been that way for generations, though it is admittedly a particularly bad time at the moment. Fortunately the people as a whole seem to still be able to summon quite a bit of common sense when necessary.
Thank goodness we live under a representative form of government.I'd hate to think what it would be like in a true democracy.Mob rule.Our politicians may not be ideal but they rule better than the general populace is capable of.And yes, here in Nevada the elections were particularly nasty.I'm glad it's over. Edited by Frank Golden

Thank goodness we live under a representative form of government.I'd hate to think what it would be like in a true democracy.Mob rule.Our politicians may not be ideal but they rule better than the general populace is capable of.
This thread is already starting veer off topic so I'll keep it short by saying that's debatable. Edited by Tushman

Alright guys, settle down. One thing we'll never agree on is politics, and these forums have a long track record in staying neutral on these kinds of things. Lets just go back to talking about Firefox in this thread!

My apologies Neil . You are absolutely right , And I do like FF4 b7 I find it very stable in Kubuntu 10.4 and I am using it as my default browser

Edited by georgeg4

• 3 weeks later...