Really Bad Advice

Jeber

You have to set your browser to warn you when there's a redirect!Of course, you were lucky. I heard about a guy who had his soup sending "bounce" and it came back - and he was using a laptop.

Edited by BoardFlak

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeber

• teacher

• BoardFlak

• pc-tecky

Top Posters In This Topic

If you didn't in the last email, also send them your ATM pin number so they can be sure that your debit card is EQUALLY SECURE. :D

What do we do if we can't think of a good question to post here?
If you had a good question, you'd need to post it in a real thread. This one's for all the other types of questions.

Maybe we need a question generator for people who want bad advice but just don't know on what topic? Meanwhile: here's a topic. I recently changed offices, and now have one with a window that looks out at an embankment (the side of the hill was dug out to build the plant, so the first-floor offices are sort of "in a hole" - you enter the upper floor from the parking lot). This embankment is covered in large rocks (irregular shapes 8-12 inches across). My question: In the event that the New Madrid fault decides to let one rip, how do I keep the entire embankment's worth of stones from getting flung at my window (and everyone else's) like some kind of catapult throw? Barring that, how do I divert the rocks from my window to those on either side?

Well, Temmu, if you think there might be a problem, you could always send me all the info you sent to them so I can investigate for you :DFlak, you could erect a trampoline in front of your window.

Edited by Shamrock

Guest LilBambi

Welcome to the Bad Advice thread Dan_D. B) Great to see Shamrock is chiming right in! :lol: Flak, What a great idea Shamrock had about the trampoline -- course it would kinda block the windows. But maybe if it was made of clear automobile type glass it might work - you know the kind with the bouncy kinda plastic in the between the pieces of glass so the stones will still bounce back at the embankment. :thumbsup: Temmu, yes, definitely ... you will want to make sure they have ALL the information they need -- especially if you are sleep walking and surfing now! :medic:

Maybe we need a question generator for people who want bad advice but just don't know on what topic? Meanwhile: here's a topic. I recently changed offices, and now have one with a window that looks out at an embankment (the side of the hill was dug out to build the plant, so the first-floor offices are sort of "in a hole" - you enter the upper floor from the parking lot). This embankment is covered in large rocks (irregular shapes 8-12 inches across). My question: In the event that the New Madrid fault decides to let one rip, how do I keep the entire embankment's worth of stones from getting flung at my window (and everyone else's) like some kind of catapult throw? Barring that, how do I divert the rocks from my window to those on either side?
Pick up all of the stones and FedX them to your company's CEO. Let him/her figure out what to do with them. That is why they make the big bucks. Edited by Gary

how do I keep the entire embankment's worth of stones from getting flung at my window
Just be sure and keep those windows closed and you won't have anything to worry about. Screen can't stop a rock, but glass is made from sand. Take a rock and drop it into sand, like at the beach, or if you don't have a beach, one of those big ashtrays at the supermarket. See? Just a dent. An open window could be a disaster. :huh:

Flak, What a great idea Shamrock had about the trampoline -- course it would kinda block the windows. But maybe if it was made of clear automobile type glass it might work - you know the kind with the bouncy kinda plastic in the between the pieces of glass so the stones will still bounce back at the embankment.
Now there's an idea. I could get the company to install the kind of window that protected a Radio Shack I worked at when fresh out of college. Would-be thieves hurled a rock at it one night, and the window bounced it straight back at them (apparently). We found the rock (about the size of 4 bricks together, not unlike what's on this embankment) on the sidewalk in the morning, and it had traces of blood on it. The window? Unless you looked for it, you couldn't even see where the rock hit it. Personally, I like the trampoline, but there is another building at the top of the embankment - and they might take a rather dim view of the rocks being flung in their direction.

Sort of as a start for the question generator: Pick one choice from each set of elements (or roll a single standard six-sided die for each):Section A / Question Type:1. How do I start2. How do I stop3. What would make4. Where can I find5. What's the most effective way for6. Do aliens controlSection B / Question Focus:1. the keyboard2. the mouse3. the CPU4. the monitor5. the internet6. the printerSection C / Problem and Conclusion:1. making a funny noise?2. trying to kill the dog/cat/neighbor?3. reading my mind?4. glowing even when the power's off?5. alerting Homeland Security?6. booking vacations on Travelocity?Put your choice from each of the three sections together, and - Bingo! - you have a question.

I drew on a couple of Javascript files to which I had access, and knocked together a question generator, but it's rather rough - not ready for Prime Time...

Meanwhile, here's some bad advice based on real events (I won't say who, except to note that he's a forum admin, has worked on a computer company's help desk and should have known better... :thumbsup: ):Let's say you have a computer with two partitions, one with XP installed, the other with Linux. You've been using Grub as a boot loader. One day (oh, let's say the day before yesterday) you decide that you want to delete the Linux partition for a while and return it to Windows. You know you have to change your boot loader.Now you could do it the right and easy way; boot into Safe mode with Command Prompt and issue the commands "fixboot" and "fixmbr", reboot and be done.But it's far more challenging, complicated and unnecessary to do a repair installation of Windows (later you can claim to be the victim of a massive brain-fart). This will overwrite all the core files in Windows with the default ones from your OS disk. All the programs installed on your computer (safely tucked away in separate partitions) that register components with the C:\ drive will cease to function, requiring several hours of reinstallation. Also, program paths will have become invalid, requiring manual correction. At this point, be sure to reinstall Service Pack 2 so that the next step is truly agonizing.If wasting one complete evening of your life just trying to get back to where you were before isn't enough for you, perhaps you'd also like to use the wrong product key during the repair, so that when Windows prompts you to activate Windows upon rebooting, you can't do it because the key you used doesn't match the one still stored in the files that didn't get overwritten. You can't log in and you can't activate. Now you can spend another full evening re-repairing Windows, re-repairing paths and reinstalling Service Pack 2 and many other programs. Perhaps Microsoft will even let you activate Windows easily this time around. By this time I guarantee you'll wish you'd uninstalled Windows and put Linux on the entire hard drive. :wacko:

hmmm, I see where this was leading. An attack on the soon-too-be-seniors among us who have senior moments and even senior hours when I'm not even officially a senior. It should be a law that I can't have a senior moment (or longer) until I can get senior discounts! If I can't profit, I don't want the downside of aging. I'd say I'll try to remember what you mentioned about windows and linux but who am I kidding? I'll probably go thru the same steps- except I use Ghost and True Image on two computers so I can throw old backups into the mix.

Senior moments, zlim. I wish. I have senior weeks. Soon I'll be experiencing senior months.And nope, no discounts for me either. By the time I'm senior enough to qualify, I'll have forgotten I'm entitled to them.

• 9 months later...

The recent release of Vista is a perfect impetus for the revival of this thread. So let me begin by giving you my first bit of bad advice for 2007...Buy Vista...install Vista.(OK, that was too easy and a cheap shot. What did you expect from me?)I do have some good bad advice to pass along. Don't ever offer to do work on a family member's PC.Let me restate that; don't ever offer to work on a FAMILY member's PC. Family, as in "da family", capice?They get REALLY upset when you wipe their drive to eliminate a virus. How was I to know they hadn't backed up their "financial" records? As angry as they were, as I was leaving I overheard some of them saying what a hit I'd been, or something like that. The voices were muffled by the ventilation duct I was crawling through.I never had a chance to tell them that I'd copied all their directories to my portable drive before I did the wipe. But some guys from the FBI were fascinated. They offered me quite a bit of money and a whole new ID just to burn them a few copies of my backups. I took the money and ID. I can use the cash, and the ID should fetch a tidy sum on eBay.I also received a warm invitation to head up the IT department at Leavenworth. I think I'm going to pass on that, as nice as it was for them to offer. I hear there are a few family members living there.