Really Bad Advice

Jeber

Ok I am in need of some advice, I find myself in the fun position of looking for a new job and this looks like a great place to get good advice. (Or at least a laugh to lighten the mood) Eagerly awaiting any and all advice B)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeber

• teacher

• BoardFlak

• pc-tecky

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a box of doughnuts to your job interviews. Next time the personnel manager is hungry, he will think of you, and that will work in your favor. ;) In all seriousness, good luck with your search!

For a potential employer to see how important you are, be sure to take your cell phone with you (if you don't have one, borrow a friends). Turn the ringer up loud, perhaps having the Lone Ranger ringtone play. Then make arrangements for your friends to call you throughout the scheduled interview time.

What Corrine said, except with a pager. That way, you only have to look at it, mutter something incomprehensible, and then apologize: "It's my old job. I told them I wouldn't be able to help them any more. I guess the new guy isn't working out, though." :w00t:

Better be careful with the lunch hours. Some HR managers regard 2-hour lunches as the mark of an amateur. Your seasoned professional can't make do with less than 2 1/2 hours - unless, of course, it's a working lunch on the company tab, in which case 3 hours is the minimum.

Hey this is really great advice - I'm taking notes just to keep it all organized. I do have a few more questions though, like what about salary should I ask about this right away or wait until I am hired. Should I expect a lower salary if it is in a field I have no experience in? Should I mention this lack of experience or let them figure it out for themselves I also thought it might be good to get my vacation time set up right away.

Wow! Such wonderful tips. Perhaps I should have my career management students do some research here? Last week they studied etiquette and this week they are studying peer feedback and hot to take criticism. Any advice I should give my students?

Keep the following handy, change the details to fit your circumstances and send it off as often as needed;--------------------------Cut here---------------------------------------------------[Date Today]Dear Mr. CompanyPresident:Thank you for your letter of April 17. After carefulconsideration I regret to inform you that I am unable to acceptyour refusal to offer me employment with your firm. This year Ihave been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually largenumber of rejection letters. With such a varied and promisingfield of candidates it is impossible for me to accept allrefusals.Despite Acme Inc.'s outstanding qualifications and previousexperience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejectiondoes not meet with my needs at this time. Therefore, I willinitiate employment with your firm immediately followinggraduation. I look forward to seeing you then.Best of luck in rejecting future candidates.Sincerely,[Your name here]

Stuck with one of the old-style trackball mice (for instance, if your job hasn't upgraded to laser mice yet)? Having trouble with it skipping because the ball fails to grip? Use sandpaper for a mouse pad. Start with a really fine grit, and work up until you find the right sandpaper for your particular mouse.Note: use of a wrist pad is recommended, and users who tend to rest their hand on the mouse pad might want to give this tip a miss.

Mine was a Schwinn, also (Schwinn Tiger - two-speed with a back-pedal shift mechanism). Unfortunately, I was not on my dependable Schwinn, but on a friend's miserable little Stingray bicycle. I think it knew I didn't like it, and it tried to get even. I survived, though not without enduring the creation of a new expansion joint in the back of my skull.

Riding a bike that is too big for you, been there done that hit the pavement face first after flying over the handle bars. I hate bicycles, haven't met one yet that hasn't tried to kill me.

I have to say that Schwinn of mine was very dependable, and safe. I rode it a lot of places, and never had a moment's trouble. I think that's why that stinking little Stingray nailed me - it knew it couldn't measure up.Temmu, I ended up with abrasions on my elbows and knees. Surprisingly, though, even though that thing bucked me off over the handlebars and I executed a near-flawless landing on the back of my head, I suffered no noticeable permanent damage. Surprisingly, though, even though that thing bucked me off over the handlebars and I executed a near-flawless landing on the back of my head, I suffered no noticeable permanent damage. Surprisingly, though, even though that thing bucked me off over the handlebars and I executed a near-flawless landing on the back of my head, I suffered no noticeable permanent damage. Surprisingly, though, even though that thing bucked me off over the handlebars and I executed a near-flawless landing on the back of my head, I suffered no noticeable permanent damage. None whatsoever.

Edited by BoardFlak

So there I was, amidst my invulnerable youth. Riding my bike home from a friend's house, not touching the handle bars, ... reading a book. About the time I look up to make sure there's still no traffic (small town), I notice a big rock in the middle of the road. Right in front of me. I prepare for the worst (I didn't want to hurt my book, so I opted to just weather the wreck without attempting to grab the handle bars...). The next thing I knew, I was standing in front of my bike on the street. I (somehow) managed to fly up and over the handle bars and land on my feet. Freaky, eh? :hysterical: :hysterical: B)

Certainly would have kept me from chipping my front tooth if I could have done that. Apparently there are nerves in your teeth, noticeable if you chip enough off of them. Boardflak you were so lucky smacking the back of your head can cause serious injury I would think.

I did get an injury from it: that "expansion joint" (Skull Fracture for the less imaginative) to which I alluded. I also have an extremely clear understanding of the term "Splitting Headache." On the other hand, the doctor told my mom that I avoided brain injury specifically because my skull cracked, which he said absorbed the blow and protected my brain. Given the alternatives, the skull fracture seems like a winning choice.

We were in a car accident when I was a kid and my younger brother had a fractured skull, the doctors told my mom if he had been older it would have killed him.Temmu you are right on my kids have to wear a helmet too, they think I'm over protective but I like there skulls in one piece. Things have changed a lot since I was a kid, now there are things like seat belts and not things like lawn darts remember those???

• 1 month later...

Jeber is out at the car wash hosing his PC off. He found that the hot wax spray does wonders for his CD-Rom drive. He also can wash his car and PC all in one trip. I usually just soak mine in a tub of hot clorox bleach. Do not use other chemicals at the same time as hazardous fumes can occur.a0370fb.gifavatar-18.gif

Tech Q and A
Q: How can I back up my Firefox bookmarks? I know how to back up Explorer favorites: I can find the folder where their URL links are stored in My Computer and simply copy the folder. But I've not been able to find where the Firefox bookmark URL links are stored.A: The world is beating a path to www.mozilla.org to download the free Web browsing software that so many think runs rings around Microsoft's Internet Explorer for managing Internet sites.The problem is that when it comes to hiding one's important Web bookmarks, Firefox also runs rings around Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser. The trick to finding Firefox's favorites is to dig deep into the folder called Mozilla Firefox that is added to a Programs folder.So right-click on Start and select Explore. Then open the C: drive icon and scroll down to the Programs folder, where all of the programs one installs are kept in alphabetical order.Go to M, as in "Mozilla Firefox," and open it.In the next list, go down to D for Defaults and open it. Next look for P as in Profile, and there you will find the file you crave. It is called Bookmarks.html.
I hope this poor guy looks at bookmarks.html before he tries backing it up.

Tech Q and AI hope this poor guy looks at bookmarks.html before he tries backing it up.
Clicking on "Manage Bookmarks"/File/Export is much to easy. It wouldn't qualify as a true "technical" answer. (Which means, of course, it wouldn't qualify for this thread.) :thumbsup: :icon8: :icon8:

• 1 month later...
What has happened? Over a month and not a single bit of Really Bad Advice out there. :rolleyes: Jeber, oh Jeber, where are you? Give us some advice!
Is worse than that! We've had neither a year-end summary of the Bad Advice given so freely during 2005 nor a forecast of Bad Advice for the New Year. What is this world coming to?

Ah Grasshopper, I mean Corrine, the past is but an incomplete record of partial realities that we cannot accurately recall. The future is no more than smoke in which we see patterns to which we ascribe our hopes and dreams without the possibility of their fulfillment, as the future always remains just out of our grasp. :thumbsup: In other words, there's no way I could possibly summerize a year's worth of bad advice, nor can I begin to guess where this thread's headed. I guess we'll all just have to surrender our E ticket and take the ride together. :huh:

@Temmu -- You wouldn't say that if you'd ever had my borscht. Ok, Jeber. I'm ready for that ride. Let's make it a grand Highlander year!