Gator changes its name

Freddy

Claria often distributes its application by bundling it with popular free software such as Kazaa and other peer-to-peer programs. When downloaded, the application serves pop-up and pop-under ads to people while they're surfing the Web. Ads can be keyed to sites so that a pitch for low mortgage rates, for example, can appear when a surfer visits a rival financial company's site..............Claria is also fighting to disassociate itself from the term "spyware." In recent weeks, it launched a legal offensive to divorce its name from the hated term, with some success. In response to a libel lawsuit, antispyware company PC Pitstop has settled with Gator and pulled Web pages critical of the company, its practices and its software
Oh, puleeeeeeeze!!! ANY program that installs itself without a user's explicit consent and knowledge should be considered malicious, spyware, and and intrusion of personal privacy and property. If a program is going to install without your knowledge, what good could come from it? Chances are 99.9% that it's spyware.

Guest LilBambi

Usually when real life alliGators shed their skin, it's to become a bigger Gator .... hmmmmmmm. Doesn't sound good to me.We will still know who and what they are ... they aren't fooling anyone with this. B)

I heard that today too. Yick! I don't care what it's called, it's still nothing i want on my computer!

Claria ... isn't that a allergy medication LOL!  Well I am allergic to Claria. 
Good one. Looks like we'll need the perscription strength to get rid of this malware. ;)

oooh, claria sounds so preeety. its sounds like sweet flowery flowers. la la la. i WANT claria on my computer.(please apply strong sarcastic tone to line above. ;) )p.s. - i'm allergic to flowers too. aaaaah-CHOOO!they should've gone with "CROC" for CROCodile. fitting name on many levels (as in "what a croc of ....")

Dave PCPitstop

It wasn't just a simple renaming, they are splitting out their businesses now. If you happen to get a security certificate for a Gator/Claria app now, you will notice that it says "GAIN Publishing" and not Claria or Gator. I don't think that Thawte will issue a cert to someone unless the name is a valid business entity, so GAIN Publishing must exist (possibly as a DBA for Claria) and indeed they have a web site with all the apps there. I have to think this realignment has something to do with preparing for their legal battles, in addition to the effect of making it harder for us to alert users (Gator? Claria? GAIN?) about the software being on their system.If you've never run a Gator app you should give it a try. Spend a couple of days with it and you'll know why so many people dislike it.By the way, here's some of the names that Gator thought about before they settled on Claria:AnnoyaCreepiaCheckOnYaSysHozersWrectumWinStallerPestillonYouAgreedEulaBeSorryMyLittleAdWindows"I Can't Believe it's not Adware!"Gator Lite (Now 2% less annoying!)

By the way, here's some of the names that Gator thought about before they settled on Claria:AnnoyaCreepiaCheckOnYaSysHozersWrectumWinStallerPestillonYouAgreedEulaBeSorryMyLittleAdWindows"I Can't Believe it's not Adware!"Gator Lite (Now 2% less annoying!)
:lol: good ones Dave

oooh, claria sounds so preeety.  its sounds like sweet flowery flowers.  la la la.  i WANT claria on my computer.(please apply strong sarcastic tone to line above.  :lol:  )p.s. - i'm allergic to flowers too.    aaaaah-CHOOO!they should've gone with "CROC" for CROCodile.  fitting name on many levels  (as in "what a croc of ....")
It sounds like an STD.Chris

You can dress a snake in a princess outfit if you want.....but it is still a snake.
RCmudturtlescr.gifYes, but a heck of a sexy snake! OK, it's really a turtle, but do I get points for it being a reptile?