Normal dot resets to default

T_Downey

Ok, I've got one I've been unable to figure out. I've even discussed this with a friend of mine who is a Microsoft programmer and he had no answer for me. This involves Office 2000 running on any NT based OS. It's occurred on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows XP machines. Basically what occurs is about once a week when using the Outlook email program, when you close the program you are asked something to the effect, "Normal dot has changed, do you want to save the changes?" Basically the only option is to say yes, because if you say no, then Word opens up to a blank project. Bottom line is the only thing to do is say yes at which point the normal dot gets reset to default. Then if you use Word with Outlook, you have to re-create your signature again. This becomes quite annoying when it occurs on a weekly basis. What I've done for folks as a quick fix is to copy a good normal dot file at another location on the pc. Then create a bat file that will copy the good file over the default when it is reset with a shortcut icon on the desktop which they simply double click to fix the problem. The only common denominator between all these machines is Norton Antivirus Corporate edition v7.2. I even checked the Symantec website to see if there were any known issues, but haven't found anything. If anyone is familiar or knows what the deal is I'll buy ya a beer....or 2. And please don't suggest not using Microsoft Word to edit email. I know followers of Woody from WOW would probably suggest such.

Guest ComputerBob

It's funny that you mentioned Woody's Office Watch at the end of your message, because that's the first thing I thought of as I was reading about your problem. Have you tried doing a search through the archives there? Since it occurs with different OS's it sounds like your problem might be the result of a (known and documented?) bug in Office 2000.