• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zillah

• Tushman

• lewmur

• goretsky

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I did try that same problem still is going on.
Open up the services applet. In the run command line, type: services.msc and check to make sure the following services are set to automatic. 1. DHCP Client 2. DNS Client 3. Remote Procedure Call (RPC) 4. TCP/IP Netbios helper Also ensure that their dependency services are started and set to automatic as well.

Also ensure that their dependency services are started and set to automatic as well.
I could not find dependencies (AFD, TCP/IP Protocol Driver,NetBios over Tcpip) in the services applet because they are not running properly (AFD, TCP/IP Protocol Driver,NetBios over Tcpip have yellow exclamation mark) under the device manager http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/88547-45-restore-dhcp
Could not start the DCHP Client Service on localcomputer.Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Thanks

I could not find dependencies (AFD, TCP/IP Protocol Driver,NetBios over Tcpip) in the services applet because they are not running properly (AFD, TCP/IP Protocol Driver,NetBios over Tcpip have yellow exclamation mark) under the device manager Thanks
Apparently the infection has disabled several of those services or atleast not to be running automatically upon boot. It would help to know what the name of the trojan was when you scanned the system with the antivirus. Some of the trojans/viruses can automatically run themselves as services when you boot up the computer. If you knew what the name of the actual trojan was, you could search the registry for instances or keys for that specific name.Specifically you should search in the following keys:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ServicesBefore you go off and make any changes, I would like to emphasize as I always do, that manually editing the services key is not something you should take lightly. ALWAYS make a backup. And do not delete any subkeys that you are not sure of.Furthermore, take caution and modify the registry in this manner ONLY if you know what the name of the virus/trojan is. Otherwise, open up the services applet and take a screenshot so we can see if there are rogue services running in the background. On a side note, those screenshots you've been posting are not very clear. Save those images as PNG instead and they will come out much clearer.Also specify what operating system you have.... XP Home or Pro? Edited by Tushman

One caveat to add to my previous post:Searching the registry for the name of the trojan may not (probably will not) prove to be useful. As I have stated, several trojans are known to regenerate themselves under random file names that are not very recognizable. Especially when you look in the task manager and see the list of processes running in the background. Having said that, if the trojan has embeded itself into the CurrentControlSet > Services subkey, the actual name of the (rogue) service will always be consistent which is why I recommended taking a screenshot of your services applet.

It would help to know what the name of the trojan was when you scanned the system with the antivirus
This is what I do not remember it now.
On a side note, those screenshots you've been posting are not very clear. Save those images as PNG instead and they will come out much clearer.
I will consider doing that
Also specify what operating system you have.... XP Home or Pro?
XP Profe SP3
Otherwise, open up the services applet and take a screenshot so we can see if there are rogue services running in the background.
I would assume you meant run > msconfig > services not run > services.msc Thanks

I would assume you meant run > msconfig > services not run > services.msc Thanks
No, the latter. Type 'services.msc' into the run command line. You can certainly use Msconfig to view the services running in the background, but MS recommends changing the services through the services applet instead.