Event Viewer...

dicknite

I'm one of those guys that hasn't read the manual... I've been working with Win2k and XPHome for a couple of years. I would like to understand the Event Viewer better so I can troubleshoot errors...I have a basic understanding, like what it reports and very basically what those things mean. (Application and System Errors, Warnings, and Information, and Security Successes and Failures) So, I have a couple of questions - 1.) Is there a resource like "Event Viewer for Dummies" or MS Knowledgebase articles where I can learn more? B.) Are errors normal? I have errors, warnings, and Failure Audits all through... I know that some might be normal... 2.ii) Are there a lot of these in you guys systems, or should I strive to have none there other than ones that indicate something needs to be fixed?Okay - that really was 3 questions - not a "couple", but I figure my numbering system will fool some of the people - the rest just don't say anything and they'll never know, okay? :lol: )Thanks!d|:^)Dick

Guest ThunderRiver

1) I don't think there is much help on EventViewer. Basically, it is a log viewer, so it is quite self-explanatory on what it does. You can always activate it by type eventvwr in the command prompt to open up event viewer. I check my event viewer quite often to make sure things are working fine in the system 2) Error are not always normal, but some can be ignored. Errors under Application section normally means some program crashes or certain components not found. It may be a bug, and if you search on Google, you might be able to find solutions. If errors are in System section, you should then pay abit extra attentions since it is system related. Sometimes, these errors are caused by software, which can possibly be solved from Microsoft Support Database. If errors are from hardwares like harddrive, you should back up your data often since your hard drive may fail at any time.3) I do have a couple every once awhile, but mostly are warnings. For system crashes, the log is normally shown as "information" not error because it informs you that a mini-dump is being created and so on.