Mandrake 9.2

Stryder

I have to say I am very disappointed in this release. 8.0 detected all the hardware on my Linux box. 9.0- did not detect the NIC. Got lucky and after several re-installs of the OS I told it not to detect my NIC at all and during reboot after OS install it detected it. 9.2- trouble with NIC again. Previous work around does not work. It sees the NIC in Hardrake, but can not get connection to the net. 9.2- No sound. Sound was fine in 8.0 & 9.0. Go into kmix and it says there is no output device. Hardrake sees the card just fine.9.2- 3d graphics worked just fine......until I quit palying Tux Downhill. Closed Tux and monitor goes black and light on monitor turns from geen to orange.Things seem to just keep getting worse with each release. Pretty disgusted at the moment. Been messing with this four almost 6 hours. Time to introduce my Linux box to my baseball bat.

Sorry to hear that as I am about to install Mandrake 9.2I never had such problems with Mandrake, however I've had similar problem like yours with video card where after changing cursors, or logging out my screen would go black and the only way I could get it to work again was to manually unplug monitor from wall and back in.That problem however was not with Mandrake but with Suse 8.2.I found out later that it was related to 3D Mesa drivers and unpatched kernel (similar problem existed for Mandrake though).When I switched on Mandrake 9.1 and installed DRI drivers I knew about it and I installed patched kernel and I never had issues with it after.I played with Mandrake 9.2 RC2 and that was the most stable performer on my PC so far.

Well I decided to open up may case and point my web cam at my NIC card, hopefully 9.2 will be able to see the NIC now. If that does not work I will point the web cam at my Louisville Slugger so 9.2 can see the imminent danger it is in. I think I may have my problem solved for the NIC (got my fingers crossed......had just one finger up earlier). We had a power outage here today for about a half hour and my router had reset to all of the default factory settings. I will find out here in just a minute.Wish me luck.

Guest LilBambi

Good luck Stryder!It can be so disconcerting to have such problems .... hang in there ... and take a break every now and again (and I don't mean with the bat LOL! :( )

This is just so bizzare. I just reinstalled Mandrake 8.0.....all my hardware worked like a charm. So I start all over again and install 9.0 thinking I will just do an upgradeto 9.2..... I lose the NIC. Detected, but does not work. Install 9.2 again..... I lose the NIC and sound card. Again, both detected, but does not work.(rant)Call me crazy, but I figure as you release newer versions, things like hardware support should get better. Not worse. You know, I really want to use linux. I really do. But it is this kind of Mickey Mouse BS that makes me bury my linux box in a corner of my shop for months on end every time. Hopefully someday, someone will make a Linux distro that just plain works the way it is supposed to. (/rant)

Hi StryderI´m sorry to hear you have all these troubles . . . the worst about it is that without internet connection updating/bugfixes is hard too . . . . ;)But I see you writing about upgrading from 8.0 to 9.0 and then maybe even to 9.2 . . . I hope you did try a clean install too, upgrading is just no good . . . . :w00t: ( wiping / and /home is stongly recommended ! ) Your NIC should work, there is no reason why it would not, and most of us who had sound problems with earleir versions suddenly have sound now . . . . . Maybe you should wait till 9.2 is officially released and give it even a few weeks after that, so the real bugs are fixed with new updates . . . . if you have these problems, more people should have them too.In the cooker they are even talking of replacing 9.2 with 9.2.1 . . . this shows you´re not the only one . . . :rolleyes: Bruno

. . . the worst about it is that without internet connection updating/bugfixes is hard too . . . . :rolleyes:
Possibly you might want to create your own update CD like Owyn is looking at before you install so you can do those right after you install and then solve the NIC problem.

I have down loaded the iso images and "burned" the Cd's At the time I in stalled it I had not read Bruno's information "read me" I did install it over 9.1 and I was slective in adding the packages It works , but after reading all the problems that some of you have encountered I am not sure I should do a clean install with all packages or wait till the dust settels and a direction of what to do is clearer If there is a possibility of 9.2.1 perphaps I should wait This message is being done on 9.2 My nic/router installation is OK and the only problem I have .encountered is that KlllB has an error message. Will be watching the postings before I do anything else, may even go back to 9.1charlie

All things are relative. I am in the middle of my upgrade to 9.2, and other than burning the Mandrake Install and Upgrade CDs, and quickly testing the install up to the Hard Disk Partitioning stage, I have not even got close to Mandrake.The reason? The number of steps that are required to get WXP up and running in a semi-custom but (for me) very stripped condition. I just checked my log, I had to reboot twice yesterday and have just finished my 3rd one for this morning, and I should only have to reboot 4 (well 6 if I reboot everytime it says I need to) more times before I am ready to image the install partition. Oh yeah, I am still stuck with basic video and no sound. That's ok, should only be another hour (and 2 reboots) to get that fixed. And I did get a chance to do a fair amount of research and mail catchup on the other systems while this was going on. Just have to KVM switch back and check to see what is happening. ...Sorry, that reminded me it was time to check again. Yep. Ready for another reboot. Oops, nearly messed that up, got to stay KVM switched to the system until boot complete. Ok, Let's see - Recommended Updates, Ah, Just Windows Media Player Left in this section, Get it started, back to the forum...What am talking about? Simple. I am working from an extensive, system specific, log and a double checked and prep'ed system rebuild plan. Mandrake 9.2 is just the first of the Linux distro's to be installed to this drive/system. The longest, by far, part of the job is getting the XP partition ready. By contrast the Manrdrake install procedure should be fairly straight forward. Basically spend about 5 minutes answering questions and after that switch CDs when the tray pops open. Yep, I am expecting some problems, heck, maybe even a lot of problems with this install, but, that is why it is going on my TEST system. My "production" Linux Desktop is still humming away on Mdk9.1. And is quite happily going to stay that way until I am sure 9.2 is reasonably stable.....Checking again. Shoot forgot there was EULA to agree to. WXP was stalled again. Ok, going again.....Enough for now. The point is that software is still too complicated. And b-leading edge software (as Mandrake tries to be) pushes the edge of pre-testing versus delivery. I am sorry that you have experienced problems, but, think back. How were your Window OS install experiences over the years? How much time would you have to devote to a re-install from scratch of WXP with all updates, drivers, and "critical" application software? How many portions of the old system would need backup before you could be sure you could get everything back the way you needed?.....Sorry again, Had to straighten out the setup options for WMP9 and politely decline some options from Microsoft. Next step. Get the video straightened out, Oh shoot, another driver upgrade. Oh well time to pay attention again and determine whether I want to use the latest driver from Microsoft or from ATI......Have a good one.

I have to admit that I did the upgrade. I have never tried to upgrade from versions before. It worked fairly well. I had to go back in and add packages to get everything back up and running and only had one terminal to start, but everything that worked before worked this time.

I am in the process of doing a full install of Mandrake 9.2 at the moment. Needed to create my Linux Swap file before starting to create the extended/logical partitions. Still have to go back and finish the XP install. Will let you know how it goes. This system has an ATI Radeon, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Pioneer DVD, LG CD-RW, PS/2 Wheel Mouse and Realtek NIC. Should be fairly good test.It took 7 minutes to start the install and create the custom partitions. Expected time to complete the install up to the point of testing the Update92 CD is less than an hour.The urpmi cache is in /var/cache/urpmi/rpmsDon't know (yet) if it is safe to clean it.

Test results to date. Completed basic install, without updates but with customization of boot and network configuration in 32 minutes.-------Test LILO------------Rebooted to WXP. Ok.Rebooted to Linux. Ok.--------Test Basic functions------Audio Tests:KMix: Check levels. Push Master, CD, and PCM to max for testing. Ok.Kscd: Play Audio CD from Pioneer DVD. Ok.XMMS: Not installed.-konsole. su. updatedb. locate xmms (no apps, just desktop). Retest after MCC Add Software.Video Tests:Totem Movie Player: Play VCD. Ok.Totem Movie Player. Play DVD. Could not handle menu structure.mplayer: Not installed yet.Network Tests:Galeon: Connect to www.sympatico.ca. Ok.---------Add Software------------MCC->Add Software->searchxmms: check "search results". install. ok.mplayer. check "search results". install. ok.-----Check Menu-----Messed up. Expected.konsole. su. update-menus -v. Needed to press enter when complete to get back to konsole prompt. Checked menus. Ok.----More A/V tests-----XMMS: Play MP3 CD from LG drive. Test options. Pick better skin. Play directory. /mnt/cdrom2 precreated. good. Select directory. Ok.Gmplayer: Saw DVD. Could not play. Switched to "mplayer -dvd 1". Found DVD. Could not play. Saw "missing codecs" error on konsole log. Will fix later.glxgears: Ok. Results (approx 1200fps) consistent with previous tests.---Summary---At this stage have seen only expected problem with menu plus missing codecs for DVD player. LG burner not damaged by install. Time to take a break (on 2nd pot of coffee but still have forgotten to eat breakfast). More after update tests.

---Summary---At this stage have seen only expected problem with menu plus missing codecs for DVD player. LG burner not damaged by install. Time to take a break (on 2nd pot of coffee but still have forgotten to eat breakfast). More after update tests.
Owyn . . . glad your tests did run out fine . . . ;) . . . . . Strange that 2 out of 15 are having such troubles getting their hardware going . . ;) Bruno

Looks like I have to recall my advice not to upgrade . . . in previous versions upgrading gave only troubles . . now I do read in several posts that people did have more luck with upgrading their previous installed version . . . . so I deleted that line in the 'install 9.2 tips' . . . . ;) ;) Bruno

First new problem with 9.2Installed Xine to see if it would get past the DVD problem. No good. Still needed to clean up menus.Rebooted to Dyne:bolic. Finally found out how to get the DVD to play (mplayer -dvd 4), sort of irrelevant, but as I said the DVD had an unusual menu structure. Watch movie (hey I needed a break). Went back to XP (for a while) and got some more cleanup done. Rebooted to Linux.Huh?Text mode login instead of graphic? Ok. Login. startx. ok. Check access to NFS and Samba shares on network. Ok. Oops. Needed to go back to XP. Logout. Black Screen. Nada. Nothing works. Nada.Huh?!?Press reset key. Retest. Same results.Lets get updates installed. See if that fixes problems.

Text mode login instead of graphic? Ok. Login. startx. ok. Check access to NFS and Samba shares on network. Ok. Oops. Needed to go back to XP. Logout. Black Screen. Nada. Nothing works. Nada.
Went to MCC->Boot->DrakBoot. "Launch the graphical environment when system starts" was unchecked. Might have been a finger problem at my end. I was in the function at one point to see if there were any major changes.Re-checked option. Fixed. Added to re-test list for next install.--------Have now installed updates from CD. Next step is to pick up balance of updates from ftp site and see if the problems with menu corruption are fixed. Also work on DVD/codec issues.--------Full re-install/re-test scheduled pending availability of re-mastered ISOs.

Latest installment (this thread is turning into a Mandrake 9.2 install blog B) )Menu problems definitely fixed by updates. Still have to remember to wait 60 seconds for cache to clear but other than that works fine. No longer need a konsole up permanently in root with command recall for "update-menus -v". Though it is now so engraved in my mind that I do it just in case when I can't find something in the menu.Went back to sound. While working on Julia's "No Hear" problem found that Mdk9.2 had set the OSS drivers as default. Not nice. So, from konsole:sudraksoundI start draksound in console to catch any error messages that might show up.In draksound, select the alternate alsa "snd-cs46xx" driver. Oops. OSS driver blacklisted, can't unload. Needs reboot. No big. Logout/Restart.Restarted. Oops, no sound. Mumble.... STUPID mixer tricks. Ughh. Missing software. Ok.MCC->Install->"alsa" (all packages), "aumix", "grip"Test mixers. Best by far is "aumix". Retest XMMS, Kscd, Grip. All working.False hopes raised. Mixers suggested new alsa drivers for Santa Cruz. Wrong. Hopes dashed. Still working with a "basic" sound card in Linux. Pity.

Owyn,With your last line there . . do you mean you´re using two soundcards ?? ( You can´t in Linux . . should disable the on-board )B) Bruno

Owyn,With your last line there . . do you mean you´re using two soundcards ?? ( You can´t in Linux . . should disable the on-board )B) Bruno
LOL. Nope. One sound card with two personalities. Basic and rather stodgy in Linux. A party animal in WXP.