Fixing LILO

ross549

Let's just say "hypothetically," that I had to reinstall windows 2000. Let's also just say "hypothectically," that LILO was sitting on the windows partition. Now, how could I possibly access my Mandrake install again to copy some files onto another partition, so when I do a clean install, all my e-mail is retained?

RossThe procedure is:Have a Mandrake boot floppy that worksReinstall windows on the same partition, without altering that partition. It will overwrite the MBR . . . no panic.\Boot from the Mandrake boot-floppy and do "/sbin/lilo" as root to write lilo to the MBR again . . . and you will dualboot again.Then the clean install: Backup all your files of the Evolution directory you find in /home to CD . . . .then you can put the "local" files back after the clean install . . also backup everything else you want to keep from your Mandrake.:w00t: Bruno

Have a Mandrake boot floppy that worksReinstall windows on the same partition, without altering that partition. It will overwrite the MBR . . . no panic.\Boot from the Mandrake boot-floppy and do "/sbin/lilo" as root to write lilo to the MBR again . . . and you will dualboot again.Then the clean install: Backup all your files of the Evolution directory you find in /home to CD . . . .then you can put the "local" files back after the clean install . . also backup everything else you want to keep from your Mandrake.
Hypothetically...... the windows reinstallation was already done.... the system does not have a floppy....... ;) :lol: :w00t:

No floppy drive? SimpleBut your Drake CD back in and let it go in to do a repair. Then skip down to the part where it says to configure Lilo and let it recreate it for you!

Then your mail is lost ! . . . . You have one other chance . . . . install 9.2 . . . do not re-format the /home partition . . . your mail will be there, but the system will not run 100% . . so back up /evolution/local on the double . . . and do a clean install after that.:w00t: Bruno

Then your mail is lost ! . . . . You have one other chance . . . . install 9.2 . . . do not re-format the /home partition . . . your mail will be there, but the system will not run 100% . . so back up /evolution/local on the double . . . and do a clean install after that.:w00t: Bruno
Why on earth would my mail be lost....???Could I access the folder with KNoppix so I can copy it???

Then your mail is lost ! . . . .
A repair will not dump your mail! Been there, done that! :w00t: I have repaired many timed (much to Bruno's horror) and even used it to reinstate a missing Lilo!

Thunderbird is fine. I use it some too. In fact that is what I use if I must be in Windows. I see Ryan is around. He will give you any fine tuning pointers on thunderbird. Just use the repair and configure Lilo and you are set.

Not really, I cannot access my newly reformatted D: partition...... it used to be /mnt/win_d and a NTFS partition.... I want to be able to write to the disk in Mandrake..... however, when I go to mnt/win_d, it shows 0 files and folders, and disk drake thinks it is NTFS yet.I don't know where to go from here....

I think you have to mount that partition first . . you can do that in the MCC or on the commandline as root# mount /dev/hda? /mnt/win_dThen you can access it.B) Bruno

No workie.... a message pops up from MCC, but goes away far too quickly to be read.Should I just format the partition from the MCC? It still needs to be FAT32, to maintain connectivity with windoze.

Is D your backup partition ?? . . . Are you doing this in 9.2 ? Did you get the updates first, because there are bugs in drakx and harddrake . . . Is there a directory called win_d in /mnt ?? . . otherwise you can´t mount to it . . . B) Bruno

Yep, update first to get the bugs out . . . and wait 60 seconds after you close the MCC to open any menu . . . ( another bug ) it has to write the new files to cache . . B) Bruno

MCC is now saying that the partition is mounted, but navigating to it in Konquerer is giving me an access denied error.<edit>MCC is reporting that the drive is NTFS, when it is FAT32.