IP address changes by itself

siebkens

I have a 3 computer network with a switch. Using Windows ICS to share internet connection, 1 shared printer on a secondary computer. 2 secondary computers running Win ME.Latest problem: My ME computers keep losing the IP address that I assigned to them - TCP/IP properties mysteriously change to: Obtain an IP address automatically. I have disabled DHCP, WINS & DNS on the ME machines. Disabled LMhost lookup on XP machine. The ME machines keep the IP address that I assign for a few days - will keep it through a restart of the ME machine. Then, in a few days, I notice that my network is running slower from my XP machine (slow printing) & when I check on my IP addresses on my ME machines, they are now saying obtain an IP address automatically. Could this happen when I restart my XP machine? ;) Computer 1 TCP/IP (main) set to 192.168.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 - 192.168.0.1 is also my default gateway for ICS for my secondary computers.Computer 2 TCP/IP is set to 192.168.0.12.Computer 3 TCP/IP is set to 192.168.0.13.Thanks!

Guest LilBambi

I would suggest disabling System Restore, making your changes, then enabling it again (or better yet, leave it off, it is a hog).It sounds like ME is reverting to some previous restore point. It tends to do that and for no apparent reason. It is only supposed to do that when there is a problem, but that is often NOT the case. :lol:

ThunderRiver

What kind of router do you have?
No router - just a switch.LilBambi
I would suggest disabling System Restore
Have had system restore disabled for quite a long time - it's not much use to me.The strange thing is that both of my ME machines seem to lose their IP addresses at the same time.Rons - read the article at practicallynetworked. It seems to me that the answer to my networking problem is here within MS's ICS, but I'm not sure what to do about it. Will read more to follow up this idea.Thanks to all - this has given me an idea of where to look!

I think you will find that when using XP / ICS - and other versions of Windows connected to XP - that a dynamic IP may work better than a static address. I have seen this happen before on other networks where once ICS is enabled on a XP system and a static IP is assigned - the other systems may lose their IP addresses. Go figure. :( As far as a slowing down of your network - give your switch some time to reconfigure itself. Though the switch works off of MAC addresses and is hardware based & ICS is software based - a reconfigure of any network settings - whether intentional or not - may cause it to hic-cup. :) You may wish to reset the switch itself. Hope this helps some.

There will either be a small reset button located on the unit or a small hole in which you insert a paperclip into to reset the unit. If you are not sure where the reset button is located or how to reset it - you may wish to go on the manufactures website for instructions.