Win 7 Auto Chkdsk on every startup

amenditman

amenditman

I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium on a recycled IDE HD. I did a full round of DBAN to the hard drive to destroy any old data prior to the install.I let Windows 7 use the entire disk and format it itself.Now, every boot it stops and runs the CHKDSK. It never finds anything and then continues to the desktop.Any suggestions to get rid of this annoying behavior?Thanks!Bob

I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium on a recycled IDE HD. I did a full round of DBAN to the hard drive to destroy any old data prior to the install.I let Windows 7 use the entire disk and format it itself.Now, every boot it stops and runs the CHKDSK. It never finds anything and then continues to the desktop.Any suggestions to get rid of this annoying behavior?Thanks!Bob
Open up a DOS shell by typing cmd at the run command line. At the C: prompt, type chkntfs /x c:/x switch is used to exclude. c: is letter of the target drive.

amenditman
Open up a DOS shell by typing cmd at the run command line. At the C: prompt, type chkntfs /x c:/x switch is used to exclude. c: is letter of the target drive.
Thanks Tushman, I'll give that a try when I get back in front of that computer.

Guest LilBambi

This is an issue with Win7 in combination with some other programs apparently on some installations.Very interesting to research actually.

This is a known regression in Windows 7 in the NTFS file system. It occurs when doing a superceding rename over a file that has an atomic oplock on it (atomic oplocks are a new feature in Windows 7). The indexer uses atomic oplocks which is why it helped when you disabled the indexer. Explorer also uses atomic oplocks which is why you are still seeing the issue. When this occurs STATUS_FILE_CORRUPT is incorrectly returned and the volume is marked "dirty" which is a signal to the system that chkdsk needs to be run. No actual corruption has occured.Neal ChristiansenNTFS Development Lead
@social.technet.microsoft.comNOTE: This is not the only program/situation where this can happen. Also note that it was noted that Microsoft was working on a fix in March 2010. You might want to get the Windows Updates for the system since there could be a fix there for you.

amenditman

Thanks for all the help.I will probably be back in front of this computer Tuesday or Wedsday.I'll let you know how it goes.BlessingsBob

I encountered something like this when I got my brand new Lenovo laptop with W7 Prof. The event viewer always stated an NTFS File system corruption event ID:55In my situation the system did not actually do a chkdsk by itself. However, the error message in event viewer stated I should do a chkdsk : and the result was always no problems found and nothing corrupt. Researching this further got me to a link stating that it is a bug and MS is aware of it, there was no fix present. I can't remember the link, however what solved the issue was:1. disable Indexing and2. disable Windows Search ServiceThese two above got rid of the error message. It had something to do with what Fran posted above. I'm pulling the hairs out of my head but I'm sorry I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it.For me it's not a problem: I don't need that indexing business and the windows search service can be had from me for free. I don't miss them and don't need them. But for some others it may be a problem when they need one of those two or even both.

I encountered something like this when I got my brand new Lenovo laptop with W7 Prof. The event viewer always stated an NTFS File system corruption event ID:55In my situation the system did not actually do a chkdsk by itself. However, the error message in event viewer stated I should do a chkdsk : and the result was always no problems found and nothing corrupt. Researching this further got me to a link stating that it is a bug and MS is aware of it, there was no fix present. I can't remember the link, however what solved the issue was:1. disable Indexing and2. disable Windows Search ServiceThese two above got rid of the error message. It had something to do with what Fran posted above. I'm pulling the hairs out of my head but I'm sorry I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it.For me it's not a problem: I don't need that indexing business and the windows search service can be had from me for free. I don't miss them and don't need them. But for some others it may be a problem when they need one of those two or even both.
Here's a link which resembles what I'm talking about:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...82-bc39e0585148(note: it's not the link I was referring to, that one I still can't locate.)

Guest LilBambi

Yes, very sad indeed. Now it's June 2010, you would think Microsoft would have had a fix for this already in the mainstream. :thumbsdown: