Documents and Settings in W7?

JerryM

I cannot find doc and settings in W 7. In addition I cannot figure out how to "find" something like I could in XP.I remmoved Avast and want to find all the files, etc that may be left. In the past I used the "find" function and also checked the doc and set files.Thanks for any help.Regards,Jerry

Hello,In Microsoft Windows 7, user profiles are stored in the "C:\Users\" directory.The search functionality is a bit different in Windows 7. In the upper-right corner of any Windows Explorer window is a field with "Search Computer" text in it. Click inside that field and start typing in the text to search on. A menu appears below the field once you have selected it that allows you to add file date and size criteria to the search.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,In Microsoft Windows 7, user profiles are stored in the "C:\Users\" directory.The search functionality is a bit different in Windows 7. In the upper-right corner of any Windows Explorer window is a field with "Search Computer" text in it. Click inside that field and start typing in the text to search on. A menu appears below the field once you have selected it that allows you to add file date and size criteria to the search.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky
Thanks for the reply. When I go to c - users “my name” and public are the two lines shown. When I open my name there are entries such as desktop, contacts, downloads, etc but no documents and settings, or directory.When I open Public the list contains such entries as cyber link, public documents, etc, but no Doc & Set or directory.What am I doing wrong? Thanks,Jerry

Frank Golden
I cannot find doc and settings in W 7. In addition I cannot figure out how to "find" something like I could in XP.I remmoved Avast and want to find all the files, etc that may be left. In the past I used the "find" function and also checked the doc and set files.Thanks for any help.Regards,Jerry
In Win 7 it is now C:\Users.Many files and folders in C:\Users are hidden and some are not accessible without changing permissions.First to make the hidden files and folders visible: in Start>Control Panel (category view) Appearance and Personalizations>Folder Options>Viewselect "Show Hidden files, Folders and Drives" under the "Hidden Files and Folders" section.If you are using either the small or large icon (classic) Control Panel view then Folder Options>View etc.Unless you are OK with you hidden desktop.ini files showing on the Desktop all the time restore Folder Options to "Don't Show Hidden Files, Folders...."Second for the permissions issue:Visit this website and download the "Take Ownership.zip" file and follow the instructions on the web page to merge the Take Ownership.reg file to the registry.This will provide you with a context menu item that will allow you to take ownership of any file or folder you right click on.You don't need or particularly want to take ownership of your entire C:\Users folder.Just take ownership of the files and folders you need to access.There is no easy way to restore permissions to there default.Do not try to take ownership of your entire C: drive, there are many system files and folders that must remain untouchable to maintain security and system stability.The files and folders in your C:\Users folder should be OK to selectively take ownership of except that there are system files you shouldn't mess with.More than likely the stuff you're looking for is in AppData and Application Data.Use this tool wisely. Edited by Frank Golden

Frank Golden

If all you want to do is remove any leftover bit of an Avast! install see this web site.http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utilityAlso something to consider some programs leave bits of themselves behind like shared .dll's that should not be removedbecause they are shared by another program.The registry may also contain entries that aren't removed.A search of the registry would find them but tread lightly in the registry.Stuff left in the registry may be settings info or license data that will make re installation at a later date easier ifinstallation is desired. Fact is most programs install them selves all over your hard drive.I'm a big fan of standalone programs that don't require installation.The above tool should remove all traces of Avast!.

Edited by Frank Golden

I appreciate the help, but I am not able to get to the doc & set no matter what I do.It was so easy in XP. This W7 improvement reminds me of something like food. They improve it, double the price, and it is half as good. W7 is an improvement that I cannot seem to operate. I think I must be an oak stump in this area.Regards,Jerry

In the for what it's worth department.If your user profile is C:\USERS\MY PROFILE NAME, simply typing my profile name (letter case doesn't matter) into the address bar of any explorer window takes you straight to your virtualized (not sure what the correct term is) user profile folder. You already have owner ship of the my profile name folder and its contents like AppData, Application Data and etc.. You don't see the hardware file path leading to this virtualized folder, but you can probably accomplish what you want - rename - copy - backup - from this location.The non-keyboard approach to this same location is simply to click your profile name located near the top of Window 7's START MENU.

Edited by rbdietz

Frank Golden
I appreciate the help, but I am not able to get to the doc & set no matter what I do.It was so easy in XP. This W7 improvement reminds me of something like food. They improve it, double the price, and it is half as good. W7 is an improvement that I cannot seem to operate. I think I must be an oak stump in this area.Regards,Jerry
There is no Documents and Settings folder. The hidden and locked Documents and Settings folder you see in C:\ is not accessible even if you take ownership because it doesn't exist.Why it's there I don't know. Maybe a placeholder.It's like a shortcut that points to nothing.The function of Documents and Settings has been taken over by C:\User and the Library system used in Vista an now Win 7.Again the info you want to access is if it were there is probably in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData and Application Data.I can tell that I have Avast! 5 installed on my machine and it has no entries in those folders, there is a Alwil Software folder in C:\Users\All Users that has an Avast! folder. It appears to contain licensing info etc.If that folder is not there on your machine after uninstalling Avast! then look no further, if it is be careful deleting anything there. Edited by Frank Golden

If all you want to do is remove any leftover bit of an Avast! install see this web site.http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utilityAlso something to consider some programs leave bits of themselves behind like shared .dll's that should not be removedbecause they are shared by another program.The registry may also contain entries that aren't removed.A search of the registry would find them but tread lightly in the registry.Stuff left in the registry may be settings info or license data that will make re installation at a later date easier ifinstallation is desired. Fact is most programs install them selves all over your hard drive.I'm a big fan of standalone programs that don't require installation.The above tool should remove all traces of Avast!.
Thanks, I thing what I wanted to do is enough different from XP so that it is not there in the same form.Regards,Jerry

Frank Golden
Thanks, I thing what I wanted to do is enough different from XP so that it is not there in the same form.Regards,Jerry
See post #8 above for more info.In particular the following:
I can tell that I have Avast! 5 installed on my machine and it has no entries in those folders, there is a Alwil Software folder in C:\Users\All Users that has an Avast! 5 folder. It appears to contain licensing info etc.If that folder is not there on your machine after uninstalling Avast! then look no further, if it is be careful deleting anything there.

See post #8 above for more info.In particular the following:
Hi Frank,Thanks, it appears that I was looking for what does not exist in W7. I am satisfied with the results now that I understand better.I very much the help and patience shown here.Regards,Jerry

Frank Golden
Hi Frank,Thanks, it appears that I was looking for what does not exist in W7. I am satisfied with the results now that I understand better.I very much the help and patience shown here.Regards,Jerry
You very welcome, Jerry

You very welcome, Jerry
Frank I bet those are your daughters. How cute. Here is something I found many years ago when I was visiting someone in the hospital. There was a book of poems etc."THE SCULPTORI took a piece of plastic clay and idly fashioned it, one day. And as my fingers pressed it still, it moved and yielded to my will. I came again when days were passed, that bit of clay was hard at last. The form I gave it, still it bore, and I could change that form no more. Then I took a piece of living clay, and gently formed it day by day. And molded with my power and art, a young child's soft and yielding heart. I came again when years were gone, it was a man I looked upon. He still that early impress bore, and I could change it nevermore.Author Unknown"It applies to daughters too. :) You can't relive a single day so make the most of each day in the things that are really important in life.Guess this is off topic, but maybe I can do it this once.Regards,Jerry

Frank Golden
Frank I bet those are your daughters. How cute. Here is something I found many years ago when I was visiting someone in the hospital. There was a book of poems etc."THE SCULPTORI took a piece of plastic clay and idly fashioned it, one day. And as my fingers pressed it still, it moved and yielded to my will. I came again when days were passed, that bit of clay was hard at last. The form I gave it, still it bore, and I could change that form no more. Then I took a piece of living clay, and gently formed it day by day. And molded with my power and art, a young child's soft and yielding heart. I came again when years were gone, it was a man I looked upon. He still that early impress bore, and I could change it nevermore.Author Unknown"It applies to daughters too. :) You can't relive a single day so make the most of each day in the things that are really important in life.Guess this is off topic, but maybe I can do it this once.Regards,Jerry
They are my precious granddaughters Olivia Grace (almost 6) and Gabrielle Hope (almost 4) they have a 8 months old sister Vanessa Nicole.They live in Maine with my beautiful daughter Mindy and her husband Brian.He's a regional sales manager for Sherman-Williams and she's a High School Special Ed teacher.I haven't seen them in 3 years except through regular Skype video conferences (I'm retired and living 2300 miles away in Nevada). My son Chris is flying me out to visit him on Long Island, New York in three weeks and Mindy and her family are going to drive downfor a visit while I'm back east.I'm looking forward to seeing them.Olivia was 3 when I saw her last and Gabby was 8 months. Olivia, of course remembers her Papa Golden and Gabby knows Papa only from our video visits.Of course this will be the first time I meet Vanessa in person though mom makes it a point of having her up when we video conference.She's such a happy baby that I know she'll make my day when they visit.As for being OT down worry that happens a lot here and is fairly well tolerated.At least we were able to provide some answers. Edited by Frank Golden

They are my precious granddaughters Olivia Grace (almost 6) and Gabrielle Hope (almost 4) they have a 8 months old sister Vanessa Nicole.They live in Maine with my beautiful daughter Mindy and her husband Brian.He's a regional sales manager for Sherman-Williams and she's a High School Special Ed teacher.I haven't seen them in 3 years except through regular Skype video conferences (I'm retired and living 2300 miles away in Nevada). My son Chris is flying me out to visit him on Long Island, New York in three weeks and Mindy and her family are going to drive downfor a visit while I'm back east.I'm looking forward to seeing them.Olivia was 3 when I saw her last and Gabby was 8 months. Olivia, of course remembers her Papa Golden and Gabby knows Papa only from our video visits.Of course this will be the first time I meet Vanessa in person though mom makes it a point of having her up when we video conference.She's such a happy baby that I know she'll make my day when they visit.As for being OT down worry that happens a lot here and is fairly well tolerated.At least we were able to provide some answers.
That is great, Frank. With the mobility, and family spread out through the nation we don't get together often enough. Our son lives in CA and daughter and her husband in FL. We live in NM.Have a good one,Jerry

Frank, have a wonderful visit! Jerry, I may have provided this link to you a time or two already but in case I didn't, this article by Microsoft MVP Andre DaCosta may help you adjust to the changes from Windows XP to Windows 7: For the 'former' Windows XP User - Welcome to Windows 7!.
Hey! That will be very helpful. I will study it, and bet it will help me to more efficiently use W7. Thanks a lot, Corrine.Regards,Jerry

If you want to remove left overs from programs/applications you uninstall then I suggest you use one of two programs -1 Ccleaner - it has two sections - one removes leftover files as weel as all temporary/log/index/update files (depends on what you select it to find) - second section finds and fixes registry issues (leftover links/entries/etc from uninstalled programs/application) - makes a backup of registry changes if you slect option.2 Revo Uninstaller - uses windows uninstaller to remove app/prog and then searches for leftover registry entries/files/folders and allows you to select what you want removed. This program can be a little technical (and dangerous if you don't understand registry entries) if used in highest mode. It will also remove programs where uninstall file has been corrupted or was not created.Both these applications are free and can be easily searched for.cheersGazza

Edited by Gazza

Hello, Have you tried entering "C:\Users\{insert username here}\Documents\" for the directory name and seeing if that opens the documents directory on the computer? Regards, Aryeh Goretsky

in windows, it's called "magic folders"ms set it up so that the location of "my documents" et al could me anywhere on the network.lots of it depts have user's folders ("my documents") on a server so that they can be collectively backed up each night, or every so many hours.
"Magic folders"?? .....I've heard of My Documents and the Desktop folder being referring to as special folders, but that's the first time I've heard that phrase Temmu. :hysterical: These two folders have special properties contained in the registry settings that can be changed directly by a user or by the group policies as set by a network administrator. One of those special properties as you mentioned is changing the default path to a network location (or different hard drive for that matter on a single PC and user policy security settings.The primary reason why the C:\Documents and Settings user directory in Windows 7 exists is that there are some older programs out there that still use those directories during the installation.
as to permissions, you'll notice that your own username has a lock by it (when viewed from my computer) so that when you click on it, you get an "access is denied" message.this is prolly by design so that win 7, and not you, can write (delete) directly to that place on disk.
The reason why it's access denied is because it's not a real folder you can write to. It's a virtual folder only. The registry redirects any installer that points to the "C:\Documents and Settings\%username% to the actual path - which in Win Vista & 7 is: C:\Users\{username} Edited by Tushman

Frank Golden
"Magic folders"?? .....I've heard of My Documents and the Desktop folder being referring to as special folders, but that's the first time I've heard that phrase Temmu. :hysterical: These two folders have special properties contained in the registry settings that can be changed directly by a user or by the group policies as set by a network administrator. One of those special properties as you mentioned is changing the default path to a network location (or different hard drive for that matter on a single PC and user policy security settings.The primary reason why the C:\Documents and Settings user directory in Windows 7 exists is that there are some older programs out there that still use those directories during the installation.The reason why it's access denied is because it's not a real folder you can write to. It's a virtual folder only. The registry redirects any installer that points to the "C:\Documents and Settings\%username% to the actual path - which in Win Vista & 7 is: C:\Users\{username}
Thanks for the explanation Tushman, it is more understandable and succinct than mine.In linux these virtual folders can be compared to symlinks.