• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrianT1701

• Bruno

• teacher

• Owyn

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to go into the Mandrake Control Center and to the Hardware Section. Start -->Configuration-->Configure your computer-->Hardware tab. Click on the hardware tab and go down to your video card. Click on the hardware and in the right column it will tell you what it is using. If for some odd reason it is not configured properly then go to there and down at the bottom you will see a configuration button.I would almost bet the right driver is there! This is not windows, you don't have to watch for it to update each piece of hardware. It looked for it all in the install and should have configured it there or had something that said "not configured" and allowed you to set it up there.

My preferred GUI mp3 player is XMMS. There are lots of plugins available for XMMS (eg. avi-xmms supports wma and wmv). I don't have 9.2 installed yet so I don't know which plugins come in the default install.My preferred command line player is mpg123.

It did ask me to configure it. And it is working, and it looks fine. but, it is the only device listed that is says unknown next to in some thing i just looked at. tho it does know it is the geforce4 card.

more info, see when i change the screen resolution from 1024x768, to 1152x864, the whole desktop doens't fit on the monitor screen, and i have to scroll up and down to see it all, also the refresh rate isn't right, because at this resolution the screen is like bursting in and out of brightness. so i think i need the real driver not this generic one.

more info, see when i change the screen resolution from 1024x768, to 1152x864, the whole desktop doens't fit on the monitor screen, and i have to scroll up and down to see it all, also the refresh rate isn't right, because at this resolution the screen is like bursting in and out of brightness. so i think i need the real driver not this generic one.
Oops. Just saw your other posting. Get that fixed first.

ok, fixed that problem. I went in to the MCC and went to hardware and then set up my monitor to what is is, it was using a generic display, so now, the resolution works, and the screen isn't giving me a seizure.

Thought I remembered something. There was a packaging problem with the nVidia drivers which turned up yesterday.

On Friday 24 October 2003 01:20 pm, Brook Humphrey wrote:> > On this page> > http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/advisorie...ame=MDKA-2003:0> >20> >> > Mandrake says that all of the mandrakeclub commercial drivers are> > available.> > Quote:> > "New commercial drivers for this kernel are available at Mandrake> > Club."> > Now my English is a bit rusty but this should mean that they are there> > wright NOW !!!!!> > I don't see them here :> > http://rpms.mandrakeclub.com/rpms/Mandrake...586/ByDate.html>> um they are. Maybe you didn't look right at the top of the page but listed> right there are drivers for ati, nvidia, winmodems and whatnot else.Those are the ones for the original kernel, not the updated ones that are referred to on the security advisory page.  He is right, they are not there.
From the other comments on the thread it looks like updates will be available very shortly to fix the problem. The "kernel" drivers are ok. It is the ancillary drivers that are the problem.

ok, fixed that problem. I went in to the MCC and went to hardware and then set up my monitor to what is is, it was using a generic display, so now, the resolution works, and the screen isn't giving me a seizure.
Great. Try glxgears now. It is the acid test for nVidia.

those little gears were moving at a super fast speed.
:DCould you do me a favour and copy the contents of the console results to a post. I have been building up a database of results and yours will be the first test with Mdk9.2.Prior results from Bruno showed the GForce 4 giving about 660 frames per second.
what email program do you recommend?
Evolution. The interface is very close to Outlook. The almost latest version is included with 9.2.

Some more info on the KDE problems.

> > Well if you haven't seen it a loot of others have.> > But that doesn't help fix it. Mandrakesoft has> problems reproducing it too> (and 'just install a package' isn't a reproducible> test case), so it's> difficult for them to solve it.Hope this helps: steps to reproduce:- make a fresh install of Mandrake 9.2 final (not anupdate!)- choose all desktops (KDE, GNOME, Other) and allother package groups but not servers- choose KDE as your default desktop during installand in first time wizard- make some changes to the kicker i.e. add a Konquerorbutton to kicker- install package "kdeaddons-3.1.3-4mdk.i586.rpm"- waitSymptoms include:- K menu shows only a small subset of what it shouldshow- the Konqueror button miraculously dissapears fromKicker- the Konqueror icon on desktop gives error somethinglike "File 'home.desktop' not found"- logging out and back in *does not* help (except forthe desktop icon)- running update-menus *does not* help- running MenuDrake and changing style to any otherstyle than "Administrator settings" (please understandthat my Mandrake is translated so this might not beaccurate) *does* help.Also note that some users are reporting that Alt+F2 inthese circumstances doesn't work. In this testcase itworks, infact that's the only way to run menudrake.I was under impression that this problem was detectedhttp://qa.mandrakesoft.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5957and solvedhttp://qa.mandrakesoft.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5511so why is this discussion persisting?

I do believe that in order to get those results i would need to install the real driver.with this driver I get:1489 frames in 5.0 seconds = 297.800 FPS1460 frames in 5.0 seconds = 292.000 FPS1400 frames in 5.0 seconds = 280.000 FPSThat is low quality. Good thing I don't play any games or anthing. I would install the real driver, but I know something would screw everything up, and I've just gotten this thing to run smoothly.

I have been following this post avidly from the first page. Well done Brian for not giving up, and thank you everyone else for not giving up on Brian. I tried to tell him that this was a wonderful forum, (after MPC) maybe now he will believe me. :P Amie.

I have been following this post avidly from the first page. Well done Brian for not giving up, and thank you everyone else for not giving up on Brian. I tried to tell him that this was a wonderful forum, (after MPC) maybe now he will believe me.  :P Amie.
Oh there is no doubt in my mind that this is a great place to go for all your Linux needs, that I know for sure.

Brian,I suggest you take little steps from now on . . you´ve got a working, up to date Mandrake system. Start learning bit by byte . . . you will have the book you ordered soon . . . there are The Tips in the top of this forum to read . . those are all the tools you need . . . you can all try it out on your new system and get comfortable with it . . . . don´t start tweaking right away . . first get learning.And for further questions we all will be there to help you . . . . >_<>_< Bruno