too wide page problem

Gus K

Well with Firebird 0.61 I couldn't even get my Yahoo/DSL start page to load. Stuck with 0.60 which worked fine. Now 0.7 will load the page, but sometimes (with the 3 panel view) it is wider than the screen , but a 2 panel page looks/fits fine. It's been fine lately in the 3 panel look. Odd that the problem is not consistant, but for now it is correct.

Cluttermagnet
Well with Firebird 0.61 I couldn't even get my Yahoo/DSL start page to load.  Stuck with 0.60 which worked fine.  Now 0.7 will load the page, but sometimes (with the 3 panel view) it is wider than the screen , but a 2 panel page looks/fits fine.  It's been fine lately in the 3 panel look.  Odd that the problem is not consistant, but for now it is correct.
Just a quick hunch, probably would not help, but who knows? You can download all those spiffy Extensions for Firebird, and one of them tells little white lies. This practice started because certain (ahem!) MS websites made with MS proprietary (non-standard) software were set up to tell non-IE browser folks to just go away. That's right, they refused to load to non-IE browsers. So in the Opera OS I think they first started setting up spoof info that got sent out about your browser, and they lied and said their Opera browsers were IE browsers. The trick worked and the site rendered at least reasonably well on the non-MS browser. Anyway, if you install the User Agent Switcher software, you can experiment and see if the display looks any different or better when you lie about what you are using. Try Mozilla Firebird Extensions and try installing the User Agent Switcher. Most of these neat little addons are tiny, like 10k-20k-30k, etc.I think that certain graphics will force your page to be wider (adds a horizontal scrollbar for you), and also certain other software-related things can cause this. Browsers have always had a lot of things you could set to either control things yourself, like type styles, colors, etc. or else let the website set these values for you. Maybe you can set some Preference to forbid websites from resizing your browser window and then these things would stop causing a scrollbar to appear. I'm probably just confusing matters, but maybe this will give you some ideas of where to look and other questions to ask.