Silly Blogger Stirs Up Some Ubuntu Poo

V.T. Eric Layton

Eric,Been following your blog.I think you've been a blogger your whole life, look at the stories you have to tell. You've only just realized that it's called blogging and that you can make a little pocket change cause we'll read 'em.ThanksBob

V.T. Eric Layton

Very little pocket change, actually. According to the hit count, I'm averaging about 20-25 discrete IP address visits a day the past few days. NEED MORE READERS! ;)Thanks for reading, Bob. <_>

I've been trying out Ubuntu for a long time. I finally found one or two I like, 9.10 and 10.4. I was just thinking the other day "now watch them start charging for this OS". Even though I know the Linux philosophy is "free", that's been my fear too. Now I don't mind paying an affordable price for an OS. Goodness knows I've laid down my share for Windows OS'es over the last 10 years. Even at that, always buying "upgrade" versions or OEM because it's what I could afford. Well, with this last version, they finally priced me out of the market. I'm wondering how many others feel this way?So, forget the other reasons that people prefer Linux to Windows. Now, with the economy in the tank, and less and less to spend, Linux is attractive. If Ubuntu can grab those "Window users on a strict budget", they will, at some point have a somewhat captive audience, much as MS has, as long as they don't go overboard on the price.

Very little pocket change, actually. According to the hit count, I'm averaging about 20-25 discrete IP address visits a day the past few days. NEED MORE READERS! ;)Thanks for reading, Bob. <_<
Love blogs that not ending up with blogging "only" about one dist all the time. But only reading: http://www.lockergnome.com/nocturnalslacke...-gnomenclature/ category :)But hey, its something and you managed to get my attention to add your blog to my google reader :)

EricGreat article! I think you are very correct that Ubuntu will move more to a larger revenue creation scheme, IMO it will be as expanded services and cross business ties. Don't they already have several business deals in place,such as based search engine for package web browsers and limited paid subscription for "advance help". Most people assume that the money is made at the "Desktop" users level...it isn't. To me, desktop users are the proving ground and the volume of distros keeps it a low profit potential. The big sustainment dollars come from supporting enterprise level..key word is sustainment. Even non-profits must have some form of stream to keep afloat, either from sales of something or grants(they still have to pay the bills). In Ubuntu case, I don't think it will be the OS ,there is to much commonality with other Linux distros, However,there is enough difference from other offerings to create specific support offerings..meaning the support provided won't be Linux specific, but,Ubuntu specific because of the nature of Ubuntu structure. The LTS structure is a great vehicle for that.Another area Ubuntu(and others) is gathering steam is interoperability..with.. MS. that might not matter much to a desktop user(even a crime), but at the enterprise level it is huge(and potentially very profitable) imagine the business that crosses that line, especially if it's API netural, the savings for the companies would be measurable, and the integrator profit level could be even greater.What Mark and the Ubuntu community has done, is exchanged identity of Ubuntu and Linux (e.g MSFT=PC...Ubuntu=Linux), and Ubuntu is the one that that can make them work together.Well, that is a long winded, personal opinion..on how and why I agree with your article.

Ubuntu wasn't one of the first distros I used, and it's never really been my primary system. (I do have one old computer that's been home to only Kubuntu for a few years now.)I had to check my box of old Linux CDs. My oldest Ubuntu CD is 5.10 (Breezy).I've had good success with Ubuntu installations. Once Dapper came out, the only installations I've done have been LTS versions, so I guess I haven't run into a lot of the problems that other folks have seen, folks who follow the six-month release schedule.The thing that attracted me to Ubuntu was the free CDs. I was a dial-up user. It was great to be able to order a CD and kick back and wait a few weeks for my completely FREE operating system to arrive! I thought, what a great deal for all of the low-income folks around the world! They even pay the postage!Shuttleworth had the money to give out free CDs. Now, were his reasons for doing so completely self-serving? I don't know. What I do know is that millions of people have benefited from it, including myself. He could have charged a few bucks for each CD, and it would have been no big deal. He could have charged only the postage, and nobody would have blamed him. But he didn't. That fact impressed me.Early on, they'd send out several copies. I'd keep one or two copies, and give the rest away. Now I think they'll send out only one copy.I'm pretty sure that the fact that there have been so many free CDs sent out is the main reason why Ubuntu quickly became the most popular distro. If Debian or Fedora or someone else had been sending out free CDs, I would have have jumped all over that, too! Many other people would have done so, as well.When my Ubuntu CDs have come in the mail, I have never expected them to be bug-free and perfect. They're free! I can use them to get things done. I can live with a few bugs. If something doesn't work out of the box, most times I can go online and someone will have posted a "fix" or a "work-around." What, someone's gonna give me something FREE that I might have to put a little bit of work into, and I'm gonna complain about it? Nah, not this kid!The next LTS version of Ubuntu, 10.04 (Lucid Lynx), is about to be released. I'll go to Shipit and order a CD, once again. It'll take a few weeks (the Shipit site says "up to 10 weeks," but in the past it's taken three to six weeks for them to get to my mailbox). Most likely, I'll wait a month or two before installing it. Whatever. I'm in no hurry. And then I'll probably keep Lucid installed for a few years.To me, Ubuntu is just another distro, one of the Linux projects that I really enjoy following, keeping up with. I don't have any of the negative feelings about it that so many other folks seem to have. The "brown" never bothered me, not in the least. I've always just been happy to have the opportunity to enjoy using any of the Linux distros that I've tried, and that includes Ubuntu and Kubuntu.But, at the same time, Ubuntu is not just another distro. For all its faults and shortcomings, Ubuntu has, in my opinion, been a gift to the world, and to the Linux world. It isn't even my favorite distro, so I don't know if you can call me an Ubuntu fanboy. But I am a Linux fanboy -- that I can't deny -- and Ubuntu has done some good things for Linux, things that nobody else has done. IMHO.

Early on, they'd send out several copies. I'd keep one or two copies, and give the rest away. Now I think they'll send out only one copy.
I ordered Ubuntu several weeks ago and they ended up sending me Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Ubuntu Server edition.Acadia

I ordered Ubuntu several weeks ago and they ended up sending me Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Ubuntu Server edition.Acadia
Really? That would be nice! I'll probably put in my order for Lucid this week. Even if they only send the one CD, I'll be happy. I figure this deal won't last forever.

Saturnian that was very well said, Ubuntu has done a lot for the Linux community and the fact that they send free CD's is as you said impressive. Ubuntu is actually one of the contenders for my dads machine, now all I have to do is find time to install something :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton
Love blogs that not ending up with blogging "only" about one dist all the time. But only reading: http://www.lockergnome.com/nocturnalslacke...-gnomenclature/ category :)But hey, its something and you managed to get my attention to add your blog to my google reader :hysterical:
That's an interesting link you use. It seems to be a summary of all the articles I've posted. The actual TOP link is --> http://www.lockergnome.com/nocturnalslacker/By the way, just saw you at Linux.com, Tomas! :)

V.T. Eric Layton
Well, that is a long winded, personal opinion..on how and why I agree with your article.
Not long-winded... and very salient points, Barry. :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton
... and Ubuntu has done some good things for Linux, things that nobody else has done. IMHO.
Or things no one else bothered to try to do. Good points, Sat. My first Ubuntu was Dapper (6.06)... still a great version, in my opinion. I have a CD of it right in front of me on the CD rack. Currently, I've been installing 9.01 Ubuntu Studio on friends' and family members' computers. They seem to really like it.
Here is one way that Ubuntu is using to make money.
VEDDY EENTERESTING, Lew. Thanks for posting that. I amended the original article to add your link, Lew. :hysterical:

That's an interesting link you use. It seems to be a summary of all the articles I've posted. The actual TOP link is --> http://www.lockergnome.com/nocturnalslacker/By the way, just saw you at Linux.com, Tomas! :hysterical:
Yes, wrong link. ment http://www.lockergnome.com/nocturnalslacker/tag/linux/ where you tag linux :)And saw a thread in here about linux.com and wanted to see what it is :)Hopefully it will be a nice place to be in, first pm was a spam btw in linux.com. didnt even go 1 day until a spam popped in :)

V.T. Eric Layton

HAHA! It's funny, but I just got a PM spam over there myself about 5 minutes ago. They're working very hard to eliminate that, but you know SPAMMERS can be quite innovative and persistent. :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

That's weird. What browser are you using, Tommy? I don't have control of content on that site other than the background image and my articles. Ads are served by third party servers and controlled by Lockergnome. You're the first person I know of who's had this happen. :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

Heh! I go to my site with Firefox all the time. I never see that either. :(Tommy's either pulling my leg or he has his security settings set REAL high in his browser.Or... Or... there is the possibility that one not-so-legit adsite got posted, but Chris Pirillo would have whacked it down pretty fast, I think.Who knows?

That's weird. What browser are you using, Tommy? I don't have control of content on that site other than the background image and my articles. Ads are served by third party servers and controlled by Lockergnome. You're the first person I know of who's had this happen. :(
Chrome on 7 x64, but its not doing it today. I don't have any high security settings, and just clear the cache once a week or so. He does have the chrome tool bar at the bottom of the page don't know if that is related. The page would almost completely render and then the warning would come up. :hmm:

V.T. Eric Layton

Odd. Thanks for the heads-up anyway, Tommy. :)At temmu... yup. Nothing wrong with making a buck or two. :hmm:

securitybreach

That is odd Tommy. I am also running Chrome 64 but on Archlinux. Maybe it has something to do with Win 7? Well at least you are not experiencing the error anymore. :( Temmu: They have to afford to send out all those free disks. :D Actually I am glad that Canonical is doing so well since most of the money goes back into Ubuntu and opensource. :hmm: