Thunderbird question

Stonegiant

Is it possible to share the messages of one email account between two computers? I have Thunderbird on both machines, but would like to be able to check email on either machine just in case one is busy with something. Can you point one to save messages and view messages from the other machine? If not, is there a way to sync up the messages between machines after each session on either machine?

Well... if they're on the same network, you can share the profile folder on one of them and create a new profile on the second machine and have it point to the network shareTo open the profile manager add a -p to the the shortcut to Tbird... ex ("C:\Program Files\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p) make sure you use the quotes. :lol:

First, I don't know where the profiles exist.  Second, I don't know how to create another profile.  Where do you find this stuff out?
From Firebird Help:
On Windows XP/2000, the path is usually %AppData%\Phoenix\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\, where xxxxxxxx is a random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\ and the rest should be obvious.On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\On Linux, the path is usually ~/.phoenix/default/xxxxxxxx.slt.On MacOS X, the path is usually ~/Library/Phoenix/Profiles/default/xxxxxxxx.slt.Note: Mozilla Firebird is capable of handling more than one user and thus, more than one profile. The path examples above refers to the default profile that is automatically created when you start Mozilla Firebird for the first time. You can manage any number of profiles by using the Profile Manager.
The words Profile Manager links to here and says:
Mozilla Firebird stores your personal settings, such as the cache and your web form data, in a profile folder. The Profile Manager is used to manage multiple profiles but can also be used to start Mozilla Firebird in offline browsing mode. To start the Profile Manager, run Mozilla Firebird with the -p switch. On Windows, follow these steps: 1. Close Mozilla Firebird completely (select File > Exit from the menu). 2. Select Start > Run... from the Windows Start menu. 3. Enter the full path to Mozilla Firebird, enclosed with quotation marks, then add the -p switch, e.g.:      "C:\Program Files\MozillaFirebird\MozillaFirebird.exe" -pOnce started, you are able to add, remove or rename profiles. Note that if you have more than one profile, you will be asked which profile to use each time you start Mozilla Firebird.
Hope that helps!

It did help, but only because I used the same method for Thunderbird (the topic is called Thunderbird, not Firebird :( )I got the second machine to use the same settings, but how do I get it to actually show the emails that the main machine has stored on it?

It did help, but only because I used the same method for Thunderbird (the topic is called Thunderbird, not Firebird  :devil: )I got the second machine to use the same settings, but how do I get it to actually show the emails that the main machine has stored on it?
I saw that it was Thunderbird, but I was fairly sure that they either 1. Used the same profile or 2. Stored the profile in the same place. So I felt pretty confident that the info would still work.As to your question, I have no idea...I don't use Thunderbird, sorry :devil:

Guest LilBambi

To get info on how to use the same profile on each computer (copying the profile to each then leaving the mail on the server at each location so you will get them on all machines, see the following thread:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...t=60#entry32491It has the link to the FAQ where I got the information to do this.There was someone else later in the thread who talked about using the EXACT same profile on several computers, just read through that topic from the link above forward. You will see the progression of what's needed to just copy the profile. Then I think you would take one and share that profile directory to the other computers with a shortcut to that mapped link in the appropriate directory, I think that's what is needed but haven't done it myself.When using the same profile across computers, you have to be very careful since you will have nothing if the link is not available and it will think you are 'creating a profile' and that could mess things up till you figure out what happened.I am hoping that ibe98765 (I think that's who was using the exact same profile across the network), or whichever member had mentioned they had done this, will stop by here to clarify.I hope this helps a little bit Stonegiant or at least get you started.