need network diagram software

striker

I need a windows program which can:- visualize and create a network diagram of the LAN incl. all of its connected equipment- if possible fully automatic as far as can be- low cost (max. $50) or freeware, no nags, no ads- can print the result to any common printer- does not contain separated server/agent piecesIn fact its intended use is to create a diagram /map of a LAN, either at home (anywhere) or at SOHO with a max. of 10 computers (with any OS) and a max. of 20 other network connected equipment pieces, like printers, scanners and that sort of things.What I have looked at:- spiceworks ---> they say it's 100% free; I don't trust them for one penny, I'm almost 100% sure it's adware. :thumbsdown: - dia --- > not so good for the task I'm aiming at- diagram maker -- > dito- networknotepad --> dito, and besides that not much documentation around. Found documentation (help) and Network Discovery add on. probably going to test this combo.- lansurveyor --- > yeah, nice, but $1625 ???? no thank you very much.- cade ---> mmm, I don't know about that one. Comes from Russia.- the Dude ---> uses a server / client comboSo what's left out there? I searched nonags, softpedia, snapfiles, and a couple of little other ones, but there doesn't seem to be anything out there, or did I miss something or didn't I look thorough enough?Yep, I know Vista and W7 have something like a network view build in, but that one doesn't show the network printers attached (and switched on), and that's a problem. (they do show up in Hardware > Devices, I know, but not in the network view.)What I'm doing right now is simple: the network I use for testing is my own LAN, so I know what equipment is connected and where, but when I go to a client with a SOHO I can't do that of course. Anyway, I then make a diagram in MS Word, make a couple of text boxes in it, fill those with the credentials I want in there, and print it.Simple, works like a charm, but hey... that's nice for a hobby, but like mentioned above there has to be something else which automates this all in one application. The golden question now is what application does this ?What are you recommending? Is there a way to get this done? BTW: I don't have Visio to fall back to. And the last versions MS took out the network discovery section. :thumbsdown: TIAedit: post updated April 21 17.05PM EST

Yep, saw it today too Temmu: spiceworks is out of the question. No adware. Paying, well if the program is worth it, alright then. No problem with that, but no ads.network discovery is installed, I can see all machines on my network, even those using XP, Vista and W7, haven't tested it for visibility with linux machines yet, but that comes next when I have more time at hand. Can see the switch too, and also the router, modem, etc;network magic, somehow now in conjunction w/cisco: yep, I stumbled upon that one too pulling my hair out what the connection with Cisco is. (I've read the blog post, interesting.)Anyway, I've had a look at the Dudes eula (mmm, that again?) and I've scratched the Dude from the plans for now.I think I'm going to have a play, nevertheless, with networknotepad, for which I just discovered an add on which does network discovery.(CDPtool) If that combo works, then I have my program. Free ! But I first need to see it in action and see the results.If it doesn't deliver, I have a fall back possibility then, network magic which you posted Temmu.Temmu, thanks for replying and thinkin' along the lines with me! Appreciated!

Today I tested a whole range of these network mapping applications. The result is mainly that not even one of these - except lansurveyor and spiceworks which I didn't include in the tests - gave me a complete map of the testing network. Most often they were not even able to create a map, and if they were the links could not being created.Tell ya what: Vista and W7 own network mapping feature do not have these problems. I still have to encounter an outside application which does better.So much for network mapping. :thumbsup:

I may have found a solution which fits the bill, albeit not fully automatic. However, it would completely solve the problem. I'm currently testing the 'solution' and need a bit more time. I'll post back when ready.Suffice to say at this moment the solution contains three programs, two of them free, the other one paid. :unsure:

Alright, like I said in the previous post I was able to solve the initial question.After much searching and trialing I've came to the below set (2) of applications, above I said three programs but I changed the scheme another time to be able to get away with just two programs. Remember the goal was to do it fully automatic, however given the set price tag that's impossible. There are possibilities to do so, but they start at a price tag of something at least $600. So we had to adjust the goal a bit, going back from fully automatic to a mix of automatic and manual work. Still, the initial price tag of $50 could not be met, but we were able to get away with it below $100, and it is even possible to get away with it with a price tag less than $70.The applications we selected.1. SoftPerfect Network Scanner (free)http://softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/Works with Windows® 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, Seven and this in 32-bit and 64-bit versions.I've tested this one on Vista Premium 64bits and Windows® 7 professional 32 bits.2. Edraw Maxhttp://edrawsoft.com/EDrawMax.phpSystem Requirements: Windows® 2000, Windows® XP Tablet PC, Windows® XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista (these are for the older version 4, I use the latest version 5.1)I have it installed on Windows® 7 Professional and it seems to work alright.This is vector-based graphic software, which facilitates the rapid creation of flowcharts, organizational charts, network diagrams and much more. The Edraw interface has a similar look and feel to that of Microsoft Office 2007 programs.As an alternative you can also use Edraw Network which will decrease the price tag even further to less than $70.Reason why I opted for the more expansive Edraw Max is that I can use the program for other tasks I have on my todo program very soon, so I got everything in one program. However, it is absolutely enough to get by with Edraw Network for the given task above. For a comparison between the two programs you can have a look at http://edrawsoft.com/drawingtype.php .How does it work?First we use SoftPerfect Network Scanner to get a picture of what is connected where in our network. Make sure every device is powered on and let the program do its scan. You can order the program to scan in a specific IP-range. The result will be a complete overview of what is connected, including IP used, SNMP, Hostname, MAC address, Logged on user, LAN group,NIC vendor, server type/role and Response Time.This information is what we're going to use to put in a Network Diagram, for which we're going to use Edraw Max (or Edraw Network).It doesn't take much of a learning curve to use Edraw, its set up is simple enough when you're halfway used to use Microsoft Office 2007. Within a couple of minutes you'll get your network diagram.Are there alternatives?Yes, there are. Member crp in one of the above replies mentioned Networkview. (http://www.networkview.com/index.html)This one is able to do both tasks in one program, works well (I've tested it on Windows 7) and could do the job with ease. However, it's not my personal preference, but it could be yours. I would say get a copy of it and start trialing.Another way is to combine SoftPerfect Network Scanner with for example Inkscape. However, the learning curve for Inkscape is fairly steep imo, and besides that you'll have to get your network symbols at your own, while Edraw includes all of them. The big difference however is of course the price tag, Inkscape comes free of charge. It's an Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format. (the last phrase is from their site) See http://www.inkscape.org/Supported OS: Linux, Windows Me, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) and later.Another way is to use CLI tools (command line) to get an insight of what is where on your network. Combine this with Inkscape or maybe Dia and you'll have something else to work with.The possibilities are almost endless.Thanks to all who chimed in. And thanks to crp for mentioning Networkview: it could very well be that I still opt for changing SoftPerfect Network Scanner for Networkview in the foreseeable future.I'm still thinking about that possibility: it may be not my personal preference but it does have something in its automation which speaks for it. And combined with Edraw Max (or Edraw Network) it could even be a better alternative. Thanks again!

I just ran the Networkview last week on our LAN.In addition to the automatic graphing , it also outputs all the data it finds to a CSV file which I then imported into a spreadsheet, selecting those items of interset to produce a table output of our LAN as well

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hunting for NetworkView... purchasing is not the problem, except I don't have a credit card and don't want one. Problem: other payment options add other stuff like tax this, tax that, you name it. That's how Regnow handles this... :yes: The product can be purchased for something around € 63, when doing it the RegNow way it'll cost me - fasten your seat belts please - € 104No thanks, but no thanks. It's a ripp off.The developer doesn't even has the guts to reply to mails at his support account. He also doesn't even reply to businesses who want to have his product in their portfolio to sell it. That's not the way I do business. Not recommended, unless you have a credit card, and keep an eye or two on the final purchasing price.

You went here: http://www.networkview.com/html/purchase.html ?They have various ways to purchase and only one is credit card.
Yep, that's the page. Anyway, I may have something down the pipe, a local software reseller may be able to get a hold of it for something around 80 euros all in. I have to wait for a reply now, but they're doing what they can. So maybe there's a chance to get it.

Got a message tonight in the mailbox from the reseller: the developer finally replied to the reseller ( :thumbsup: ) resulting in a new invoice for € 76. That's more of what I'm talking about, tomorrow the order is going out for it. Yep! :clap: :clap2: :thumbup:

I guess when we got the NetworkView lo these many years ago, it was a freebie. It wasn't a version 1 but maybe they were going free to make sure they had a product good enough to eventually charge for.

Hey crp, no problem. I'm gratefull you mentioned it and the price, well € 76 is not a freebie but I think it's worth it, it just plain works.(And I can't say that from other programs I tested)