Game on Linux

rakemup

251723.jpg

Alice: Madness Returns

With her mind in tatters, she is unable to resolve the fear prompted by her strange memories, dreams, and visions. Perhaps she’ll do better in Wonderland. She always has. She travels there, seeking what the “real” world can’t provide: security, knowledge, and the truth about the past. But in her absence, Wonderland too has suffered. Something has gone horribly wrong, and now a great evil is descending upon what once was her beautiful refuge. Can Alice save Wonderland—and herself—from the madness that consumes them both?

You will not find this on Steam.

What happened to Alice: Madness Returns?

It was removed because of the DRM was causing issues, to the point people couldn't even play their game anymore. EA isn't bothering to fix it for those people to get them a working product.

You can buy it from EA Origin though, which is where the DRM is tied to.

it has been gone from Steam for some years though.

alicem-keyart.jpg.adapt.crop1x1.767p.jpg

However there is one copy for sale,

Alice: Madness Returns (PC DVD)

but it is much cheaper on the Origin site.

7687_0.jpg

Here kitty kitty, what a luverly pussy cat. 😋

I am running a Arch os with all the latest updates.I have the Steam version of this which I bought it when it was available on Steam. I just reinstalled it and used Proton 6.35 and it runs very well indeed with no glitches as far as I can see. You get a window telling you to log into your EA/Origin account and this works well too, in fact you can copy and paste from a password manager unlike Battlefield V.
This is a great game and loads of fun imho, well worth playing.

I would guess but this is only a guess that the latest Origin offering should work ok. Or you could get the DVD version and run it from a dvd or an .iso emulator on your pc.

Any ways it is a great game and well worth the effort. 🤩

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

Cool. I finished the first one many years ago, American McGee's Alice. I remember it being a fun game with a cool take on Alice in Wonderland but that was like 20 years ago.

• Agree 1

madness3l.jpg

American McGee's Alice

"American McGee's Alice is a third-person action-adventure developed by Rogue Entertainment and published by Electronic Arts in 2000.

This entry is named after its renowned director and designer, American James McGee, who also worked on the Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Hexen, and Quake sagas. Also, he was in charge of directing the highly successful sequel Alice: Madness Returns and is currently working on the third part called Alice: Asylum.

The game is based on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, novels written by Lewis Caroll in 1865 and 1871. Unlike the lighthearted tone of the source texts, this version has a much darker setting. Shortly after the original story, Alice is the sole survivor of a mysterious fire that takes her family and home, making her an orphan.

The excellent soundtrack was directed by Chris Vrenna, winner of a Grammy award with the band Nine Inch Nails, led by Trent Reznor. The sounds were generally composed of toys and voices of women and children. Altered by a great editing process, the title achieved macabre and uncanny music that accompanies the player during the adventure.

The game received positive reviews by critics and high acceptance by the fans. The main points to highlight were its audiovisual resources, which present an innovative and distorted aesthetics concerning the original source.

After being only known as a good title at the time of its release, today, it is considered a cult game. Not only is it a fun, challenging adventure, but it is also a work of art that gave rise to Alice: Madness Returns, a sequel that also achieved a resounding success."

tumblr_ofep4cTJb71qhmulao1_1280.png

Super dooper game and it runs very well indeed on my Arch linux pc. I am running it through Lutris using the Wine runner, simple to set up with no extra hoops to jump through. The downloads are for the windows version and I have no idea if they work as well on a windows pc, so do not ask.

Here is a link to the game on my mega cloud storage that also includes three extra .pdf files

, a guide, a manual and a READ ME.

https://mega.nz/folder/jp9BSAra#-4Y1u4-aU1P6MRD4EsCNPg

Thanks to securitybreach and others enthusiasm I was tempted to give the game a try out. 🤩

• Like 1

Playing all below on my Arch pc. All the Steam native Windows games are run with Proton with the "" gamemoderun %command% "". You have to install gamemode of course.

American Mgee's Alice -- Fab game runs with no problems - using Lutris.

Alice Madness Returns -- Another fab game , runs well through Steam - this is the old Steam version they sold -- it crashes occasionally after about half an hours play and locks up the pc -- Ctrl, Alt, F2 into another tty and use htop to close Steam to solve the problem, bit of a pain but well worth the trouble.

Call of Juarez Bound in Blood -- Entertaining game - old school style - runs very well - no problems -- Steam.

Call of Juarez -- Same as above.

Black Mesa -- Neat game - great graphics - runs well no problems - stuck trying to fire a rocket launcher just can not work it out - Steam.

Metro Last Light Redux -- Awesome game - superb graphics - smooth game play - stuck trying to kill a big hairy monster - Steam.

Remember Me -- Decent game - different controls and quirky game play - stuck in an arena with a big boss - Steam.

Bulletstorm Full Clip -- Fast paced shooter -- great graphics - smooth game play - sound drops in and out -- plays well then crashes -- very frustrating as when it runs it is very good - Steam.

Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 -- Decent sniper game - good graphics and smooth game play -- Steam.

Tomb Raider - Excellent game - love the story line -- good graphics and runs well -- stuck trying to climb a burning building - Steam.

Deus EX Human Revolution Directors Cut -- Old style with excellent graphics - runs very well - Ctrl, Alt, F2 into another tty and use htop to close Steam to solve the problem,well worth it though - Steam.

Battlefield V -- Awesome graphics - smooth game play - running through Lutris with their version of Origin - Only tried the snowy Norway section so far - crashes occasionally but not too often - bargain for £4.19.

I like to game depending on my mood so have different games running all the time. Anyways you can play some great games on a linux rig. I bought all the games above in sales so they were very cheap, my os cost me nothing so for just a few extra quids and the cost of a pc set up you can have some excellent fun wasting time. You may have to spend a small amount of time researching how to set up a game and download some extra libriaries and programs to your operating system but it well worth the effort.

😎

• Like 1

securitybreach
1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

Playing all below on my Arch pc. All the Steam native Windows games are run with Proton with the "" gamemoderun %command% "". You have to install gamemode of course.

Wait..I have lots of windows only games  that I play via steam+proton but have never heard of or ran a command called gamemoderun????

22 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Wait..I have lots of windows only games  that I play via steam+proton but have never heard of or ran a command called gamemoderun????

Shame on you, thought you were a seasoned Arch user and gamer. 😜

Try reading the Wiki

https://github.com/FeralInteractive/gamemode

If you install gamemode you might find this useful aswell,

https://archlinux.org/packages/multilib/x86_64/lib32-gamemode/

I always have a peek at the Proton site if I am thinking of buying a Windows game. I have even posted a couple of contributions to the Proton date abase.

• Like 1

Chinese state media describes gaming as 'spiritual opium' that stunts education and destroys families

In 2020, China required gamers to use their real names, and required games platform operators to match those real names with IDs used to log in to their services.

China also operates gaming curfews, and local giant Tencent recently added facial recognition to its services to enforce those time limits for minors.

Tencent will now permit just one hour of play each day, and two hours on holidays. The company will also clamp down on adults sharing accounts with kids, and use its R&D muscle to find ways to ensure kids don't play too much.

Dell won't ship energy-hungry PCs to California and five other US states due to power regulations

Dell is no longer shipping energy-hungry gaming PCs to certain states in America because they demand more energy than local standards allow.

Customers seeking to purchase, for example, an Alienware Aurora Ryzen Edition R10 Gaming Desktop from Dell's website and have it shipped to California are now presented with a message that tells buyers they're out of luck.

"This product cannot be shipped to the states of California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont or Washington due to power consumption regulations adopted by those states," the website says. "Any orders placed that are bound for those states will be canceled."

Phew !!!! glad I live in the UK 😎

Edited by abarbarian

Open source Linux GPU drivers Mesa 21.2 released

This is a first release so it is better to wait for the second point release as that will be fully stable.

I am posting as I am blown away by how much work has been done by so many people for just this one small part of linux gaming.

Check it out here

Mesa 21.2.0 Release Notes / 2021-08-04

Also updated is Lutris

Lutris game manager 0.5.9-beta1 is out adding Epic Games Store support

An for those folk lucky enough to own a Index this might be a good addition to it,

A fan for the Valve Index? Consider it an essential upgrade purchase

It's Summer here in the UK, it's bloody hot and that has meant that playing VR has turned into a very sweaty experience.

There will be jokes of course from plenty of people about the UK, because of course many countries are hotter and a lot of them have that heat all of the time. However, the UK and houses / offices here really aren't built for it. Pretty much anything other than a little rain and cloud or a tiny bit of sun and we're just not prepared.

I keep drooling over the Index but am waiting for them to release version two with wireless. I may have along wait. 🤪

• +1 1

• 10 months later...

563519-IonFury_header_review.jpg

Weather has been awful this weekend so no gardening or brick laying for me. I'll have to come back as a ghost at this rate to finish up all the tasks I have on this house and garden.

So I took to gaming due to yet another sale on Steam.

Well I was playing Ion Fury which I bought for less than £4. Was really enjoying it but was missing quite a few secret stashes and weapons. So I started from the beginning and still enjoyed playing.
That is until jumping stopped working for me. I could jump but not far enough. An yes I did try lots of times, seems that there is a fault in the game from what I read reading around the net. I won't be trying for a third run.
Shame really as it looked like it might get even more fun as the game progressed.

'80s Popcorn Love: An Ion Fury Review

I did play for nearly ten hours so thats not bad for just £4. The game does not glitch for everyone as there are loads of video gameplays on YT. Might be worth a try. :cool:

564272-ion_fury_apology.jpg

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

securitybreach

I've been playing Inside:

header.jpg?t=1655801492

Hunted and alone, a boy finds himself drawn into the center of a dark project. INSIDE is a dark, narrative-driven platformer combining intense action with challenging puzzles. It has been critically acclaimed for its moody art style, ambient soundtrack and unsettling atmosphere.

ss_82584c66b8ff7d935481e753596ab36d9b5e9
ss_d23769199f1e3d498f8293892f0456696458c

Very cool game and it's on sale  for $4.99 on steam. It's windows only but the game plays perfectly on linux via steam proton, like most games nowadays:

On 6/28/2022 at 1:11 AM, securitybreach said:

I've been playing Inside:

header.jpg?t=1655801492

Hunted and alone, a boy finds himself drawn into the center of a dark project. INSIDE is a dark, narrative-driven platformer combining intense action with challenging puzzles. It has been critically acclaimed for its moody art style, ambient soundtrack and unsettling atmosphere.

ss_82584c66b8ff7d935481e753596ab36d9b5e9
ss_d23769199f1e3d498f8293892f0456696458c

Very cool game and it's on sale  for $4.99 on steam. It's windows only but the game plays perfectly on linux via steam proton, like most games nowadays:

Looks interesting. I can hardly see what is going on though and would end up with super eye strain after a few minutes. 🤔

securitybreach
4 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Looks interesting. I can hardly see what is going on though and would end up with super eye strain after a few minutes. 🤔

It's made to play in the dark. Has a very dark, Orwellian feel to the game.

• 2 weeks later...
abarbarian

Excellent article on this neat project, full of good information.

MiSTer 101: A classic gaming device to rule them all

If you care about accurately playing the games from your youth, exactly how you remember them, look no further

MiSTer is an open-source project designed to recreate the functionality of classic PCs, arcade games, and consoles as accurately as possible. To do this, MiSTers use FPGA (field-programmable gate array) technology. While most processors have a fixed architecture, FPGAs are designed to be reconfigured to clone whatever old gaming hardware they’re programmed to. If you’re familiar with Analogue’s Super NT and Mega SG clone consoles (which are designed to play 16-bit Nintendo and Sega games accurately) , then you’ve got the idea.

Another decent article containing a whole load of very usefully information.

MiSTer FPGA Hardware

The MiSTer is an open-source project that emulates consoles, computers and arcade boards via FPGA.  Setup and use has gotten really simple and I created a quick video to get you started, with links and more instructions below:

MiSTer home site and shop

About

Mid 30's electrical engineer who grew up loving video games. Fast forward 20 years and I found myself modding consoles in my free time. MiSTer came into my life in September 2018 thanks to SmokeMonster's promotion. It was too tempting not to dive in head first. I ordered 10 SDRAM PCBs, 10 IO Board PCBs, and 10 USB Hub PCBs from PCBWay. I kept one for myself, and sold the rest. The demand was so extreme that I doubled down, then doubled down again, and again, and again.

4000 orders later, I find myself writing this about me post, wondering how I got myself into this, and where I would be without MiSTer.

Thanks for taking time to click on this page and read about my life. Because I'm a person who has feelings, dang it. 

Welcome to the MiSTer wiki!

Linux?

MiSTer uses Linux for house-keeping duties such as loading data from the SD card. You might expect such a system to take considerable time to boot, but this isn't the case. The version used by MiSTer has been optimized to only take a couple of seconds to boot. Most monitors and TV require a longer time to lock on the video signal and start to display, so the result is that the MiSTer has an "instant-on" feel, like original hardware back in the day.

A super project. 🤩

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

One Piece: World Seeker Review

Over the past 18 years, the anime/manga One Piece has received myriad video games across numerous genres. Among all those adaptations, World Seeker represents what is easily its most ambitious attempt to emulate what it might be like to be Luffy and be part of his Straw Hat crew. World Seeker may lack the detail and technical prowess of its open-world peers, but it delivers fun combat and exploration in an open environment with an enjoyable story to pull you along through the whole journey.

That opening paragraph says it all. If you are a Luffy fan then the game is just great fun.

onepieceworldseeker.jpg

https://www.protondb.com/app/755500

It get a Platinum rating on Proton. On my Arch set up it ran flawlessly.

I bought it in the sale for almost nothing and it has kept me away from Scots for quite some time. 😁

547269-sada.jpg

New Linux Distribution Built for Gamers

With a Gnome desktop that offers different layouts and a custom kernel, PikaOS is a great option for gamers of all types.

PikaOS wants to be your new favorite desktop Linux, especially if you're into games. This distribution is similar to what Nobara offers, only instead of using Fedora as its base, it opts for Ubuntu.

PikaOS promises gaming "out-of-the-box" so you don't have to bother with complicated configurations or complex third-party app installation. You'll find the best drivers installed or readily available via the Welcome App and a high level of compatibility for both software and hardware.

Grab our latest PikaOS ISO now!

What is the Nobara Project?

The Nobara Project, to put it simply, is a modified version of Fedora Linux with user-friendly fixes added to it. Fedora is a very good workstation OS, however, anything involving any kind of 3rd party or proprietary packages is usually absent from a fresh install. A typical point and click user can often struggle with how to get a lot of things working beyond the basic browser and office documents that come with the OS without having to take extra time to search documentation. Some of the important things that are missing from Fedora, especially with regards to gaming include WINE dependencies, obs-studio, 3rd party codec packages such as those for gstreamer, 3rd party drivers such as NVIDIA drivers, and even small package fixes here and there.

A deep dive in our new Budgie Gaming Application

There was quite a lot to go through and I hope you had fun checking what Ubuntu Budgie team is doing for Linux gamers. We certainly had a lot of fun getting this Gaming application up and running.

I also want to take a moment to thank all the developers of the gaming clients and tools we added to our Gaming applications. It is only thanks to their work that we can improve end user experience on Ubuntu Budgie.

Turn Any PC Into a Retro Gaming Machine With Batocera Linux

Batocera is a Linux-based operating system with a focus on retro gaming. The OS is designed to run on virtually all computers, from desktops to laptops to single-board computers like the Raspberry Pi.

In addition, Batocera can be installed on a USB flash drive (or SD card), which allows you to boot your device directly from the Batocera USB. Having all of your games and settings already configured like controller preferences effectively turns the USB drive into a portable video game emulation powerhouse – all you need is a computer, a screen and a controller. Ultimately, this allows you to avoid altering your hard drive in any way, which means that the existing operating system can stay intact.

How to Play PS3 Games on PC with RPCS3

Emulating the PS3 on a PC is not an easy task due to its complicated architecture. Thanks to RPCS3, now you can easily play PS3 games on your PC. Let’s take a look at how you can play PS3 games on your PC with RPCS3.

Lakka the open source game console

Built on top of the famous RetroArch emulator, Lakka is able to emulate a wide variety of systems and has some useful features such as automatic joypad recognition, rewinding, netplay, and shaders.

We try our best to keep the hardware required to run Lakka as cheap as possible. The software is optimized to run fast even on low end computers, and we support a lot of USB joypads.

RetroArch

RetroArch is a frontend for emulators, game engines and media players.

It enables you to run classic games on a wide range of computers and consoles through its slick graphical interface. Settings are also unified so configuration is done once and for all.

In addition to this, you are able to run original game discs (CDs) from RetroArch.

Retroarch Not Working? Here’s a Bunch of Fixes

For a growing number of people, Retroarch is the ultimate hub of everything emulation-related. It doesn’t do Retroarch justice just to call it a “frontend” for every console emulator imaginable because all the great emulators can be integrated into it, downloaded and loaded up as “cores” within seconds. Such a vast platform with so much going on inevitably runs into problems, however. ROMs may fail to scan, emulators run too slowly, and controllers don’t get detected.

Here we run through the most common Retroarch issues and fixes to get it working again.

Just a small sample of up to date ways you can enjoy gaming on a linux based computer. Some old and some new players to the games.

Have fun and enjoy. 🤩

• 2 months later...

Asus ROG Ally Hands-On: Can This Win 11 Gaming Handheld Top the Steam Deck?

Pure and simple, the one feature of the Ally that has turned the most heads is the fact that it runs Windows 11 natively. Even at the surface level, running an operating system most people are familiar with, and being able to use a Windows desktop for PC-style uses, is enough of a win on its own. But for gaming, the implication is huge.

Interesting development. Will it be a winner ? 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
abarbarian

Sony’s new Q handheld is official: 8-inch screen, streams PS5 games

“We will launch a dedicated device that enables you to stream any game from your PS5 console using Remote Play over Wi-Fi,” PlayStation boss Jim Ryan said during the PlayStation Showcase. “Internally known as ‘Project Q,’ it has an 8-inch HD screen and all of the buttons and features of the DualSense wireless controller.”

If you want to try Remote Play to stream games from your PS5, you don’t need to wait for Sony’s handheld. Most any iPhone, Android phone, Windows, or Mac can do it, and there’s even a Linux app you can load onto the Steam Deck called Chiaki.

Asus ROG Ally review: it’s time to stop pretending Windows is the answer

Windows handheld gaming PCs existed before the Deck, and there’s been a parade of them in the 15 months afterward. Some are more powerful. Many boast premium build quality. Almost all have higher-resolution screens. Yet none have offered the combination of battery life, portability, and price as Valve’s portable. I won’t bury the lede: the new Asus ROG Ally, officially shipping June 13th for $699.99, doesn’t change that as of today. 

Both the projects below are based on Arch linux.

HoloISO

Yes, Gabe. SteamOS functions well on a toaster.

This project attempts to bring the Steam Deck's SteamOS Holo redistribution into a generic, installable format, and provide a close-to-official SteamOS experience. Main point of this project focuses in re-implementing proprietary (as in runs-only-on-deck) components that Steam client, OS itself, gamescope and user-created applications for Deck rely on and making me learn Linux in a fun and unique way.

ChimeraOS

ChimeraOS is a Linux-based PC operating system designed for a game console experience.

It runs Gamepad UI, the same interface used by the Steam Deck, allowing you to play most of your Steam library, but also allows you to install and play many non-Steam games through the built-in Chimera web app.

ChimeraOS is based on Arch Linux. However, this is only relevant to ChimeraOS developers and no Arch Linux knowledge is required to install or use ChimeraOS.

The key difference between Arch Linux and ChimeraOS is that ChimeraOS has a unique install and update mechanism called frzr and does not make use of Arch Linux's native package manager pacman.

In fact, ChimeraOS does not deal with packages at all. Instead, the entire system is provided as a single downloadable image that is extracted to disk as a read-only volume upon each update.

This allows safe, automatic, zero downtime updates that require no human interaction.

😎

• 2 months later...

Homeworld Remastered Collection and Severed Steel are free on Epic Games

Thanks to Wine / Proton, they're all playable on Linux and Steam Deck too. Grabbing games from Epic on Linux is trivial nowadays too thanks to the excellent Heroic Games Launcher (which just had a big update). Homeworld Remastered Collection is rated Steam Deck Unsupport (but it works) but it was rated as Playable previously, and it's also rated Gold on ProtonDB.

Homeworld Remastered Collection also recently had an update to add in cross-platform multiplayer between Steam and Epic so grabbing it free would still enable you to play with friends elsewhere (as it should be!). Grab it free on Epic Games until August 3rd.

😎

• Like 1

securitybreach
2 hours ago, crp said:

Is the SteamDeck Proton the same as generic Linux Proton?

No SteamDeck is a custom Archlinux distro but it does use Proton as well as other tweaks.

13 hours ago, crp said:

Is the SteamDeck Proton the same as generic Linux Proton?

https://www.protondb.com/

The goal of ProtonDB is to gather reports from other gamers as they test games with Proton on Linux and provide aggregate scores of how well games perform. A growing pool of suggestions provides tweaks that you can try to get games working while Proton continues development. In addition to this, you may explore the Steam game catalog on this site to browse and discover a wide range of titles that were previously unavailable for use on Linux.

They use the same Proton for PC and Deck.

https://www.protondb.com/app/1712840

You have to scroll down the page to get to the PC reports.

😎

• 2 weeks later...

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

the-witcher-enhanced-edition.jpg

https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/The_Witcher:_Enhanced_Edition

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition was released on September 16, 2008. The game updates, as well as the box extras, are available as a download free of charge for owners of the original version who have registered their game on the official forum. Patch 1.4 itself is made up of four files:

• the upgrade itself (909 MB)
  • the language pack (457 MB for the English pack)
  • one file for each of the two premium modules (330 MB and 287 MB).

Hnetcom-image-(1).jpg

I finally managed to finish the game which I thought was really good fun. I used a quite a few mods for the game which I got from here,

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher?tab=popular+(all+time)

Some of the mods were for graphics and some to get around glitches in the game. The game runs very well on linux and I used Proton to play the game but can not say which Proton as I can not access my steam account fully.

I thought I had finished the game but found out that there are two extra small games included which you can gain entry to once you have finished the main game.

The Price of Neutrality

Side Effects

Start a New Game in the main menu, then pick "New Adventures" in the next screen. That's where you'll find the two premium modules.

I have still to test out the extra games. The main game is certainly worth playing and is good fun. 🤩

https://www.protondb.com/app/20900

Looking at the Proton page for the game I remembered that I tried Proton 3.16-3 and Proton 8.0-2 on my Arch set up and both allowed the game to play well.

Edited by abarbarian