Game on Linux

rakemup

5 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Well looking at videos of gameplay, the textures are quite blocky. Some old games look great as it depends on their engine and if the textures have been updated or not. For instance, GTA V is like 5 years old but the only way you can max it out is by buying a $1500 GTX 2080

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhLcm3uPCME

Can not see this blockiness you mention here. Maybe the vids you saw were badly done. 😎

2 hours ago, securitybreach said:

That is a newer addone for the game:

Ah ha I got all the DLC free with the game. That video you show looks ok to me though the guy is running all the way through. 😎

securitybreach
Just now, abarbarian said:

Ah ha I got all the DLC free with the game. That video you show looks ok to me though the guy is running all the way through. 😎

Ah ok, cool.

• 3 weeks later...

There are any number of game lists and the one below is a tad long in the tooth. I posted it as all the games have been thoroughly tested by dedicated linux gamers. There is a main list and the comments section gives more up to date games not included in the list.GOG.com's forums are the source.

The Judas does this run in wine thread

an example from the comments,

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_judas_does_this_run_in_wine_thread_v1173/page3

😎

Edited by abarbarian
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

G.O.G. had a sale recently and I dove in and bought,

Shadow Tactics Blade of the Shogun

for a mere £8.59 which is quite a saving. Best of all you can download the game and install it and play offline. No internet connection needed to register or play which is a lot more friendly than the Steam version. The game download is not tied to the pc you used to download it so you are free to install it on any pc.

I thought it might be a pain to install and get running but it turned out all I needed were two cli commands and I was up and running. Mind you it did take me half a day to find the relevant information and the two extra files needed for the install. I did do quite a lot of reading around the subject though which took up some of the time.

Once I had the three necessary files, 3.5 GB in total, and cd'd into the game folder this was all I had to do,

Start the building process from the directory where you have the three files:

$ sh ./play-shadow-tactics.sh

Wait a couple minutes, the building will end by giving you the commands to launch as root to install the game. It should be something similar to:
		Arch Linux:

# pacman -U /some/path/to/game_package.pkg.tar

Debian:

# dpkg -i /some/path/to/game_package.deb
        # apt-get install -f

The game runs very well nice and smooth, no lag or juddering. Graphics are luverly and you really do feel as though you are sneaking around a shoguns castle whilst a battle is in progress. Gameplay is at a gentle pace allowing you plenty of time to think and check out your surroundings. If the opposition spots you your as good as dead as they react and move pretty darn quick.

You have four characters to control but only one at a time, so far I have met two and they both have different skills so I guess the other two will have different skills too. I am looking forward to playing the rest of the game and it should fill in quite a lot of the time I am likely to spend in lockdown.

I can recommend this as a quality game which is easy to install and runs well on a penguin powered pc. An best of all it is yours to keep and do as you please with it.

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun Game Guide

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun is an RTT - real-time tactics game. You will be leading a small group of warriors possessing unique individual abilities. In addition, at any time you can take a look at the whole map area and learn the enemy's current interests. The enemy will always have the advantage of numbers and some among them will be particularly resilient, requiring right tactics to take them down. Open combat is also out of question in most cases, as it will raise an alarm. An alarm in turn, will draw the attention of all the enemies on the map, and then some, easily overwhelming your team.

The game draws inspiration, and in spades, from titles such as Commandos, Desperados or Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood. The game is rather demanding, and the player must keep a close eye on their surroundings. It rewards patient planning, careful observation and skillful usage of one's surroundings. Completing the game on normal difficulty should take around 20-30 hours, depending on the player's preferred play style and experience.

20 to 30 hours it took me that long to get past the first chapter. 🤣

I have two other G.O.G. games that install and run nicely on a penguin box one weighing in at 4 GB and one at 4.5 GB's. Thye are,

Full Throttle Remastered

Grim Fandango Remastered

Both of these games are gentle paced and fairly old with slightly improved graphics but give excellent quirky game play.

😎

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

There has never been a better time to play games on LinuxLinux gaming hasn’t just improved, it’s evolved.

It's thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic that I, like so many of you, have had to rapidly adjust to a life lived almost entirely at home.

It's not an ideal situation, but I've had some real consolation—there has never been a better time to play games on Linux.

The above article has loads of info and some videos and it is dead right about now being a good time to play games on linux. As there are a ton of free games available like the excellent one below.

Total War: SHOGUN 2 FREE on STEAM

There is also.

What's free on the Epic Games Store right now?

Epic Games Stores are giving away a free game every week in 2020. I wish I knew about this earlier as I missed out on Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun which runs very well on linux.

The Epic games offered are not to be sniffed at, Just Cause 4 and Assassin's Creed Syndicate are two I would have liked but sadly missed the chance. They both play well on linux despite being Windows games.

An also G.O.G. are giving away free games,

GOG is offering 27 free games to help you relax at home

Ok they may be oldies but some of them are really neat.

Ok so some of the free games are Windows titles but many of them are perfectly easily playable through proton.

Enjoy

😎

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
abarbarian

Blade Runner

In 1997 Westwood Studios released a title that won universal praise from gamers and critics all around the world, along with accolades like AIAS’s Adventure Game of the Year award. Set in the same time and universe as the 1982 classic science fiction film by Ridley Scott, Blade Runner video game is now making a big comeback on modern computers.

Shame on me as soon as I saw the article telling me that the game was available I logged on to G.O.G and bought the game an paid full price for it. Which makes it unique in that it is the first game I have ever paid full price for.

I do not use G.O.G Gallaxy as I prefer to download the game and install it myself. At the moment I am trialling Lutris and GameHub for my linux game collection and the G.O.G. community very helpfully provide scripts to make this an easy peasy task.

https://www.gog.com/forum/blade_runner/playit_install_blade_runner_on_linux

The actual files download page with instal instructions,

https://www.dotslashplay.it/en/games/blade-runner

I installed the game in both Lutris and GameHub but could not get it to start Spent some time checking that I had done things correctly but nothing worked. Then I came across this article,

You can now return to the world of 1997's Blade Runner, as it's up and restored on GOG

This gave helpful hints on how to get the game up and running on an Arch based pc. Great I thought just what I need. So I tried out the hints,

On my Manjaro installation I had to install the packages:

sdl2_net
libcurl-gnutls
libsndio-61-compat (from AUR)

and do the symlink to fluidsynth to make it run.

On Manjaro I did need to install some extra SDL2 packages like "sdl2_net", and additionally since GOG package for Ubuntu the library name for "libfluidsynth.so.1" from FluidSynth did not match up. Creating a link between what it wants and what the Arch package has will make it work. Like so:

ln -s /usr/lib/libfluidsynth.so.2.3.0 /usr/lib/libfluidsynth.so.1

I had two of the packages already on my Arch rig and as the guide seemed to have some logic to it I followed the instructions. All to no avail, the blasted game still would not run. So I installed the Arch ScummVM package and whoope the game I had installed in Lutris and GameHub both worked .

I have a feeling that if I had installed the ScummVM package and the three extra packages on my Arch I would not have needed the symlink.

As to the game. Well yes it is pretty blocky but the overall feel takes you into the Blade Runner world, at least it does for me. So far I have only investigated one crime scene, the multiple deaths of real animals, and am now trying to decide my next action.

In my humble opinion if you are a Blade Runner fan this is a must have time waster.😍

Anyone interested in further details just pm me.

Blade Runner is getting an Enhanced Edition from Nightdive

I'll be buying this version too if it ever hits the streets. 😋

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
abarbarian

Overcooked is free for the week on the Epic Games Store

Overcooked is free on the Epic Games Store for a week—and if that sounds familiar, it's because we said exactly the same thing on July 4, 2019, the first time that Overcooked went free on the Epic Games Store.

"Given the situation in the US, and the rest of the world right now, we will be rescheduling the ARK in-game celebration until Thursday, June 11," it wrote. "We understand that our community has much anticipated the Ark in-game party and the launch of Crystal Isles, and we're looking forward to sharing all we have prepared for you next week. We felt it would be inappropriate to celebrate milestones during the present time as there are bigger things afoot, and that outweighs any plans we otherwise had. We believe now is the time to be respectful and hear the voices of others."

And while it's not GTA5 or Civ 6, Overcooked is quite good: It's a local co-op game for up to four players about cooking and chaos that we said "is hands down one of the best couch party games ever made." It's also been close to a year since the first Overcooked giveaway, and the EGS audience has grown considerably since then, so there's very likely a large number of users who missed out on it the first time around. 

Well done Epic for their sympathetic evaluation of the present BLM situation, an for giving away a free game every week. 🤩

securitybreach

Doesn't that counter the whole situation? "Here, stay at home and play this free game for a week instead of going out.". It's not like these things really pull in new customers. Instead it'll be people who will grab the free copy and beat it before the end of the week.... ah, this is co-op only so nothing to beat really beside another player. I may still download and play against the computer.

• 2 months later...

A Brief History of ‘Zork’

Can You Still Play Zork?

Thanks to the internet, good video games never die. A quick Google search will lead you to hundreds of websites that host an online version of Zork, and some even have it available for download. If you’re a modern gamer with a copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops, an Easter Egg on the main menu lets you play Zork on your Xbox, PS3, or Wii. (Bonus: If you find it, you’ll get the “Eaten by a Grue” achievement.)

A fascinating tale of a great games development and history.:worthy:

• 3 weeks later...

Do not forget the FREE games offered by EPIC as they change weekly. This week there is, Railway Empire, Where the Water Tastes Like Wine.

Free Games, check weekly

I have just finished PREY 2006 and can highly recommend it as a fun game.

Prey 2006

prey_17.png

• Serious, dark story, based on actual Cherokee mythology
  • Portal technology allows enemies to appear out of thin air, creating new and completely original puzzles and gameplay styles
  • Several never-before-seen gameplay elements such as Spirit Walking, Wall Walking, and Deathwalk
  • Highly organic, living environment that itself can attack Tommy
  • Control a spiritual hawk that can help him fight enemies and decipher the alien language of the living ship

prey_14.jpg

Tommy is a down-on-his-luck garage mechanic, stuck in the middle on who-knows-where on some forgotten reservation, where Native Americans are tucked away out of sight, out of mind.

And then the unthinkable happens! Earth becomes prey to the galaxy's largest predator, a space bound Texas-sized alien that's looking to satiate its hunger with the organic goodness that most populates Earth: Us. And the first course is a certain forgotten reservation.

Tommy and his girlfriend have become prey, his grandfather killed, and hundreds of his tribal nation have been abducted through space-warping portals. Freeing himself, all Tommy cares about is saving Jenny. But the spirit of his grandfather beckons him to embrace his heritage, accept the ancient teachings, and prepare to battle the menace that threatens to destroy all the planet's
life. It's a choice between love and responsibility. It's a choice that cannot be made easily.

prey_13.png

prey_25.png

Seems like the game is abandonware I bought it from the link above and played it through Steam. However I can not remember how I accomplished that. Well worth a play in my humble opinion.

😎

This one looks really cute. Just released a couple of days ago. Pretty sure it's made with Blender as stylewise it reminds me of Big Buck Bunny with many improvements. On Steam for PC and PS4. I'm assuming it will work in Steam on Linux, not tested personally though.

Tamarin - https://chameleongames.com/

What kind of game is it?

Tamarin features a unique gameplay mix that alternates between 3D-platforming and exploration, and third-person shooter gameplay. The game is inspired by the more open 3D adventures from Nintendo and Rare, and by nature and all the wonderful plants and animals in it.

• +1 1

9 hours ago, sunrat said:

This one looks really cute. Just released a couple of days ago. Pretty sure it's made with Blender as stylewise it reminds me of Big Buck Bunny with many improvements. On Steam for PC and PS4. I'm assuming it will work in Steam on Linux, not tested personally though.

Tamarin - https://chameleongames.com/

Ha ha that looks to be a fun game. Yer right it has that Big Bunny feel to it. 😍

• 3 months later...

Cyberpunk 2077 is playable on Linux right now, but it's not the best

Cyberpunk 2077 is playable on Linux right now, and while it might not be perfect... it's the most cyber punk way to play it.Cyberpunk 2077 is tough enough as it is to run, with my Core i9-9900K + GeForce RTX 3090 system at 4K with ray tracing maxed and DLSS on 'Performance' sitting at around 50-60FPS.

It's not perfect and some can't even get it to play, but Valve's Proton software allows Cyberpunk 2077 right now -- but for AMD Radeon gamers only. But there are people saying that with the GeForce 455 drivers, Cyberpunk 2077 works on Proton.

At least that is better than the PlayStation experience.

Cyberpunk 2077: Sony pulls game from PlayStation store after complaints

It is exceptionally rare for a PlayStation game to be removed from sale after it has been approved for release, and such a high-profile game has never been withdrawn before.

The dystopian-themed, Blade Runner-inspired game had racked up more than 8m pre-orders on PC and consoles before its release last week. But players on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have purchased a far inferior version, plagued by technical bugs and performance issues that interrupt play and have left some players feeling nauseous.

With sales of 8 million or more you would have thought that the game’s Warsaw-based creators at CD Projekt RED would have been able to afford a PlayStation and XBox to test the game out on.

😎

• 3 weeks later...

GamersOnLinux

Found this site which has a list of games with a short write up on how they play on a linux pc. The list must be updated as they have a listing for Borderland 3 which is a pretty new game.

I found this FREE gem which you americans might find interesting.

Chex Quest

Remember the old Chex Quest game in 1996 by Digital Café as a Chex cereal promotion? I don't, but I remember reading about it. This was an attempt to create a non-violent first person shooter for kids age 6-9 where you can shoot slimy aliens who are trying to take your Chex cereal away.

Team Chex Quest HD have re-created the original game in a modern game engine and its totally free!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/804270/Chex_Quest_HD/

😎

securitybreach
1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

The list must be updated as they have a listing for Borderland 3 which is a pretty new game.

The Borderland series is great and most of the versions have been native to Linux or very easy to get running on Linux. I have Borderlands 1, 2, The Pre-Sequel and part 3.

5 hours ago, securitybreach said:

The Borderland series is great and most of the versions have been native to Linux or very easy to get running on Linux. I have Borderlands 1, 2, The Pre-Sequel and part 3.

Yup have all those. Was quietly enjoying Borderlands 3 when  Steam update borked the whole game and I lost all my progress. I can drum up the enthusiasm to reinstall and play through again at the moment. I might give it a go next winter. Shame as I was doing really well and having fun. 😭

• +1 1

securitybreach
6 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Yup have all those. Was quietly enjoying Borderlands 3 when  Steam update borked the whole game and I lost all my progress. I can drum up the enthusiasm to reinstall and play through again at the moment. I might give it a go next winter. Shame as I was doing really well and having fun. 😭

You must of not enabled cloud saves.

On 1/8/2021 at 5:41 AM, securitybreach said:

You must of not enabled cloud saves.

Yup had them enabled but they did not work for some strange reason. An my backup routine did not have the steam game folders as it was made several days before I started to play the game. 😭

securitybreach
8 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Yup had them enabled but they did not work for some strange reason. An my backup routine did not have the steam game folders as it was made several days before I started to play the game. 😭

That is pretty odd. I did have to reinstall a game once because it did not pick up my saves. Also, make sure that it is pointing to the correct data folder (I put mine on another drive).

14 hours ago, securitybreach said:

That is pretty odd. I did have to reinstall a game once because it did not pick up my saves. Also, make sure that it is pointing to the correct data folder (I put mine on another drive).

I had been having some wierdness with steam lately. I had three steam game folders on three different drives, has been that way for a long time. Then there was a steam up date and after that I had to keep on telling steam where two of the folders were every time I started steam. Most annoying as the current game I was playing was on one of the two folders.

That is the least of my worries as I have only just managed to get a stable Arch running on that new nvme drive I bought. All in all that has taken me almost two weeks of farting around. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...