Game on Linux

rakemup

securitybreach

Yeah, most of the window's steam games that I have tested work beautifully. I have been playing GTA V online for the last week.

• Like 1

I must get around to Steaming one of these days. I just clocked GTA V solo a couple of weeks ago, and I'm stuck in Rise Of The Tomb Raider. Can't work out how to finish one level.

• Like 1

securitybreach

I must get around to Steaming one of these days. I just clocked GTA V solo a couple of weeks ago, and I'm stuck in Rise Of The Tomb Raider. Can't work out how to finish one level.

Yeah, Rise of the Tomb Raider is cool game. I have it as well.

• 3 months later...
abarbarian

Humble Freebie

For a limited time, get a free copy of Age of Wonders III when you subscribe to the Humble Bundle newsletter.

Age of Wonders III is provided via Steam key for Windows, Mac, and Linux. For key redemption, a free Steam account is required.

Description

Age of Wonders III is the long anticipated sequel to the award-winning strategy series. Delivering a unique mix of Empire Building, Role Playing and Warfare, Age of Wonders III offers the ultimate in turn-based fantasy strategy for veterans of the series and new players alike!

Watch Age of Wonders III Gameplay

We're playing Age of Wonders III on the Humble Twitch stream. Follow our channel for more gameplay, free games, and fun.

Get Age of Wonders III now

Subscribe to the Humble Bundle newsletter and we'll email your free game to you. Hurry, this offer is available only while supplies last, or until May 11 at 10 a.m. Pacific time!

Sounds like a goody to me. cool.gif

System Requirements

Windows

Mac OS X

SteamOS + Linux

• Minimum:

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4 Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ @2.6 Ghz
    • Memory: 3 GB RAM
    • Graphics: nVidia Geforce GTX 250 / ATi Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB or integrated Intel HD 4000 with 3GB system ram.
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 10 GB available space
    • Additional Notes:
      • Requires a 1024x768 screen resolution.
      • Requires an open IPv4 connection for online multiplayer.
      • A Triumph Account is required to use the game's online services. The game's single player and Hot Seat modes are fully playable using the guest account.
      • Please note that the Editor is Windows only.

• Not running SteamOS or Ubuntu 14.10 with proprietary drivers? That doesn't mean your machine won't run the game, it just means we haven't seen it run on those distributions in the office. Visit the various AoW3 forums to learn more and share your experiences. Please post feedback on how the game runs on your system to help your fellow gamer and to help us improve our Linux build.

• Recommended:

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz or AMD Phenom X4 9900 @ 2.6 Ghz
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: nVidia Geforce 460 1GB or AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB
    • Additional Notes: A 1920x1080 screen resolution.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Old school gaming brought up to date !

Play Ascii Patrol Game in Linux Terminal!

Although it is a Command Line game, Ascii Patrol looks full of color, and the objects contained in this game such as vehicles and enemy planes look detailed. In addition, the player can make his own avatar when playing, fill in the user name, and set the controller. Ascii Patrol is one of the command line games that has game music and sound effects.

There is a Snap Store offering,

https://snapcraft.io/ascii-patrol

From the home site forum link,

http://ascii-patrol.com/

https://ascii-patrol.com/forum/index.php?topic=62.0

it seems there are two Arch AUR offerings. The Slav Metal one is up to date.

The GitHub link,

https://github.com/msokalski/ascii-patrol

Accordingly to raspberrypi.org AP can be easily built and runs great on Raspberry PI!

There is a Debian package too.

Currently game can be built for

• Windows (VC2010)
  • Linux & Cygwin (GCC)
  • DOS (Watcom)
  • HTML5 browsers (Emscripten)

Try it out in a browser

http://ascii-patrol.com/area51/ascii-patrol-html5.html

Enjoy :beer:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

10 years ago GamingOnLinux was created, what a ride it's been

What started as a curiosity after my first proper computer came with Linux instead of Windows, has blossomed into a love of all things Linux. I still remember booting it up for the first time, having no idea what was about to happen. Good old Mandrake 9.2, you were my first taste of what was to come. In the years following, I remember trying out all sorts of different Linux distributions from Fedora Core (as it was called back then) to SUSE and eventually Ubuntu came along which really did help me stick with Linux.

Over the time we’ve been here, we’ve been through the first Humble Indie Bundle back when they actually ported games to Linux (I did some QA for them too), Steam arrived with a bunch of games, GOG added Linux games, Steam Machines appeared and sadly died off, the Vulkan API became a thing, Wine advanced a ridiculous amount to run Windows games on Linux and DXVK came along to push it even further. Then Steam Play pulled up and was like "I hear you want more AAA games?" ensuring things stay interesting (and slightly complicated) for the foreseeable future. We also have the rise of game streaming with services like Google Stadia and Virtual Reality to come too. One thing is for certain, Linux certainly isn’t boring!

A fine site. A belated Happy Birthday to you blow%20out%20candles.gif

• Like 1

securitybreach

10 years ago GamingOnLinux was created, what a ride it's been

What started as a curiosity after my first proper computer came with Linux instead of Windows, has blossomed into a love of all things Linux. I still remember booting it up for the first time, having no idea what was about to happen. Good old Mandrake 9.2, you were my first taste of what was to come. In the years following, I remember trying out all sorts of different Linux distributions from Fedora Core (as it was called back then) to SUSE and eventually Ubuntu came along which really did help me stick with Linux.

Over the time we’ve been here, we’ve been through the first Humble Indie Bundle back when they actually ported games to Linux (I did some QA for them too), Steam arrived with a bunch of games, GOG added Linux games, Steam Machines appeared and sadly died off, the Vulkan API became a thing, Wine advanced a ridiculous amount to run Windows games on Linux and DXVK came along to push it even further. Then Steam Play pulled up and was like "I hear you want more AAA games?" ensuring things stay interesting (and slightly complicated) for the foreseeable future. We also have the rise of game streaming with services like Google Stadia and Virtual Reality to come too. One thing is for certain, Linux certainly isn’t boring!

A fine site. A belated Happy Birthday to you blow%20out%20candles.gif

They forgot to mention last year's real important announcement from Steam. Proton allows Linux players to play 85% of all Window's game on Steam without any issues. There may be a tweak needed on some games but most play perfect out of the box. https://itsfoss.com/steam-play-proton/

securitybreach

I do not know why they are referring to it as Steam Play since Proton is the name of the actual compatibility tool. They were just referring to it as Proton.

QWz0yXF.png

• 6 months later...

LINUX AIR COMBAT is now officially released and available in stable, "production" quality! This is a free, open-source combat flight simulator developed by AskMisterWizard.com for the LINUX community. Its roots came from the well-known "classic" flight game known as "GL-117", but this new incarnation has been extensively re-written and improved.

I'm gonna have to dust off the old joystick and install this. Used to play gl-117 ages ago but it doesn't work so well now and has much less depth to it than LAC. The author has been working on this for years. It even has free online multiplayer and voice chat. 😎

stevepusser posted yesterday on FDN he will try to package it for Debian. :thumbup:

I've been playing Ace Combat 7 on Win 10 recently but it's wickedly hard - got stuck on one level for ages. Great game though.

image.png.8314d7c93311f02598b37abc7ab91007.png

• +1 1

11 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Nice :thumbsup:

BTW most window's only games work on Linux via Steam:

Call of Duty WW2 don't work through proton on steam. :sad:

securitybreach

That sucks. That is why I said most. I have a lot of Steam games, mostly window's ones and they all play great.

That specific one has a bad rating for proton support but you can always check here if in doubt or need some tweaks to works right  (most do not even though they may list some): https://www.protondb.com/

securitybreach
Just now, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I still have a Windoze installation, so I can play Windows games all I want. NA-NA-NA-NA... ;)

What a waste of harddrive space ;)

V.T. Eric Layton
7 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Meh... I've got 1.64 TeraBytes of it to waste. ;)

6 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Some things just won't run in VMs or Wine. For me it's Phoenix RC Flight Sim, iZotope RX, and Digico don't have Linux driver for its UB MADI audio interface.

I checked out Ace Combat 7 on Steam/Proton, it's rated platinum but costs $AU90 or $AU110 for the Deluxe edition. That's like first release A list game price even though it's been out for a year. I already have it on Win so it's a pass from me on that one.

But that's off-topic. I tried out Linux Air Combat last night and it works nicely nicely. The ole joystick still works although it drifts a tiny bit to the right. No biggy, and can recalibrate.

securitybreach
1 hour ago, sunrat said:

Some things just won't run in VMs or Wine. For me it's Phoenix RC Flight Sim, iZotope RX, and Digico don't have Linux driver for its UB MADI audio interface.

I checked out Ace Combat 7 on Steam/Proton, it's rated platinum but costs $AU90 or $AU110 for the Deluxe edition. That's like first release A list game price even though it's been out for a year. I already have it on Win so it's a pass from me on that one.

But that's off-topic. I tried out Linux Air Combat last night and it works nicely nicely. The ole joystick still works although it drifts a tiny bit to the right. No biggy, and can recalibrate.

Well I was kidding about the "waste of space" but I know what you mean.

• 2 weeks later...

Dishonored 2

Reprise your role as a supernatural assassin in Dishonored 2 – the follow up to Arkane Studio's first-person action blockbuster and winner of more than 100 'Game of the Year' awards, Dishonored. Play your way in a world where mysticism and industry collide. Will you choose to play as Empress Emily Kaldwin or the royal protector, Corvo Attano? Will you make your way through the game unseen, make full use of its brutal combat system, or use a blend of both? How will you combine your character’s unique set of powers, weapons and gadgets to eliminate your enemies? The story responds to your choices, leading to intriguing outcomes, as you play through each of the game’s hand-crafted missions.

This is working well so far on my Arch set up. I followed advice from the Proton site, where it gets a SILVER rating,

PROTON_NO_ESYNC on launch options. Disable VSync and Adaptive Resolution ingame to improve performance.

I did try at the start to go stealthily but have reverted to killing every thing that moves and taking great delight in doing so, maybe because I am playing as Emily. 🤣

securitybreach
1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

Dishonored 2

This is working well so far on my Arch set up. I followed advice from the Proton site, where it gets a SILVER rating,

I did try at the start to go stealthily but have reverted to killing every thing that moves and taking great delight in doing so, maybe because I am playing as Emily. 🤣

That looks cool, I may have to buy that one. I just added to my steam wishlist.

40 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

That looks cool, I may have to buy that one. I just added to my steam wishlist.

You should really give the first game a go before you try 2.

Dishonored Wiki

350?cb=20120522210822

Story

"Revenge Solves Everything"
—Marketing tagline
Set in the plague-ravaged city of Dunwall, Dishonored follows the story of Corvo Attano, the last bodyguard to Empress Jessamine Kaldwin. Framed for her murder and the abduction of her daughter, Emily, Corvo is falsely imprisoned by the Empress' Royal Spymaster and usurper, Hiram Burrows.

Six months later, on the eve of his execution, Corvo escapes confinement with the help of a shadowy group of loyalists who seek to eliminate those involved in the assassination of the Empress and restore Emily to the throne. He is further assisted by an enigmatic god called the Outsider, who grants him Supernatural Abilities for reasons equally mysterious.

Corvo takes on the role of a feared and infamous assassin as he pursues members of the coup one by one - but whether he is out for justice or revenge is another question. Dishonored features multiple endings, which are dependent on Corvo's actions and player choice throughout the course of the game.

Awards

Won / Received

Spike TV - Video Game Awards 2012

• Best Action/Adventure Game[2]

The PC Gamer - Game of the Year Awards 2012

• The Singleplayer Shooter of the Year[3]
  • The Best NPC Barks of the Year (Spoof award)[4]

The Edge Awards 2012

GameSpot's Best Games of 2012

• Action/Adventure Game of the Year[6]
  • PS3 Game of the Year[7]
  • XBOX 360 Game of the Year[8]

Machinima - Inside Gaming Awards 2012

• Best Environmental Design[9]

IGN - Best of 2012

• Best Overall Action Game[10]
  • Best PC Action Game[11]
  • Best Xbox 360 Action Game[12]

Game Informer - Top 50 Games Of 2012

Official Xbox Magazine - Game of the Year Awards 2012

• Best Original Game[14]

The Escapist - Jimquisition Awards 2012

• Outstanding Game of the Year[15]

Yahoo! Games - Best of 2012 Awards

• Best Action/Adventure Game[16]

Forbes - The Best Video Games Of 2012

• Game of the Year[17]

CNET - The Top 11 Games of 2012

• #1 Game in the Top 11[18]

Mirror Online - Top 10 Video Games of 2012

• #1 Game in the Top 10[19]

CNN - The 10 best video games of 2012

• #1 Game in Top 10[20]

Eurogamer Readers' Top 50 Games of 2012

• #1 Game in the Top 50[21]

About.com

• #1 Game in the Top PC Games of 2012[22]
  • #1 Game in the Top 10 Xbox 360 Games of 2012[23]

Ars Technica's 2012 Games of the Year

• Game of the Year[24]

Buzz Focus - Reader’s Choice Awards: Best Video Games of 2012

• Best Action/Adventure[25]
  • Best Game on PS3[26]
  • Best Overall Game[27]

zConnection’s Best of Gaming 2012

• Game of the Year[28]

BAFTA Awards - Games in 2013

• Best Game in 2013[29]

I know it is old but what a game 😋

On 2/15/2020 at 1:26 PM, securitybreach said:

Thanks but the first one is too old for me to want to play.

The games are pretty much the same. Graphics in D2 are obviously a tad better and gameplay a tad smoother. If you like D2 you probably would like the original. AN they are only 7 years old for goodness sake.. 🤣

securitybreach
13 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

The games are pretty much the same. Graphics in D2 are obviously a tad better and gameplay a tad smoother. If you like D2 you probably would like the original. AN they are only 7 years old for goodness sake.. 🤣

Well looking at videos of gameplay, the textures are quite blocky. Some old games look great as it depends on their engine and if the textures have been updated or not. For instance, GTA V is like 5 years old but the only way you can max it out is by buying a $1500 GTX 2080.