Game on Linux

rakemup

• 1 month later...

Dying Light Action Survival Game Coming to Steam January 27

Dying Light takes place in urban environments, and the goal of the game is to survive the hordes of plague-infected zombies. During the day you will need to search for supplies and weapons in order to survive the nighttime, as zombies grow stronger. The game costs 49,99€ and features single-player, multi-player and coop modes. Pre-purchasing the game will give you a gift, the “Punk Queen” in-game weapon.

The game features modern graphics, and has rather high minimum system requirements:

MINIMUM:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 @3.3 GHz / AMD FX-8320 @3.5 GHz

Memory: 4 GB RAM DDR3

Hard Drive: 40 GB free space

Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560 / AMD Radeon™ HD 6870 (1GB VRAM)

Additional Notes: Laptop versions of graphics cards may work but are NOT officially supported.

I had a look at the game play vids on Steam and the graphics are knockout no wonder you need a high end rig. So not for me as it is too spensive and me rig just don't cut it.

I can dream though. :whistling:

• Like 1

securitybreach
The Witcher 2 Has A New Beta For Linux, The Improvements Are Staggering

We know how some of you feel about wrappers, but that's an old argument now. The game is here, and the developers are still working on improving it. The Witcher 2 had a new beta a few days ago, and we took a look and just how much of an improvement it is.

I have to say this, but I am shocked at this new beta. The improvement is actually quite staggering! Testing around the same area on 1080p with high settings gives me ~20FPS more and it's astonishing how far Virtual Programming's eON has come.

The announcement (scroll down a bit) is copied below:

24 Jan 2015 20:50 GMT

Latest Beta - BuildID 503099

A bit of a refresh here. We've worked more on our Direct3D 9 engine since the last beta, so everything we've done there has gone into this patch. Hopefully, that means better performance too!

We've also resolved the constant crashing on exit, removed our dependancy on libcurl, and we now ship a new CrashReporter which, while still using libcurl, should work with a variety of different versions as shipped by the many distro's out there.

We've also added a fix for the crashing caused on kernel 3.17.7 and later, even though the kernel maintainers have already agreed to amend the patch that caused the problem - it is better if our behaviour avoids the issue in the first place smile.png

Test and let us know how things are...

You can get into the new beta by selecting it from right click on the game -> properties, beta tab, and selecting it from the drop-down.

One issue to note is that there is a bit of micro-stutter at times, but unless you're trying hard to notice is, you probably won't. It doesn't happen often it seems either in my testing.

This has quite literally changed my views on it, and has made me actually think about properly playing it for the first time ever. Honestly, I would now be surprised if I got much more FPS on Windows now.

You can see screens below of the new beta first, and the old stable last with the FPS counter in the corner showing the improvement at the same place, and it will shock you too:

1422445087new.jpg

https://www.gamingon...taggering.4892/

• 1 month later...

An here is why Microsoft and the X Box will soon be a distant memory in the gaming world. :whistling:

Hands-on: Valve/HTC Vive opens up the virtual reality experience

During one demo, I walked from a countertop over to a refrigerator a few steps to my left, grabbed an ingredient, then walked back to drop it into a pot. In another, I walked away from a huge rock monster speaking to me to solve a gear puzzle sitting on a back wall, pausing to admire a set of wind chimes in between. In a Portal-themed Aperture Science demo, I could walk around a massive, 3-D holographic cross-section of a robot's innards, viewing and manipulating it from all sides and angles, not just the ones I could lean in and see from a sitting position.

These may seem like small things, but it's hard to understate the added sense of freedom afforded when you can really move anywhere in your real-world confines, confident the system will know you're there in your virtual reality. It allows for a much larger sense of scale and a sense that you're in a complete VR space, rather than a small box

Valve says it plans to release its Lighthouse technology as a freely licensable standard that other VR manufacturers will be able to use. Frankly, it's hard to see why they shouldn't, unless the pricing ends up being prohibitively higher than other tracking solutions. The precision and freedom of movement in Valve's inside-out system blows away anything that seems possible using a single, outside-in camera tracking and once again changes the state-of-the-art in consumer-level virtual reality before consumer-level virtual reality is even really a thing.

I want one :breakfast:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Deja vu

An here is why Microsoft and the X Box will soon be a distant memory in the gaming world. :whistling:

http://games.softpedia.com/blog/Steam-Reaches-125-Million-Active-Accounts-8-9-Million-Concurrent-Users-474102.shtml

Well, it appears that PC gamers are growing exponentially, according to the latest numbers published by Valve.

Valve has announced today that it currently has over 125 active Steam users all across the world and that the Steam client features 4,500 games and around 400 million user-generated content pieces.

In January 2014, Valve announced having 75 million accounts on Steam, a number which rose to 100 million by September.

This means that the worldwide digital publishing platform managed to expand its user base by 66 percent over the course of one year, and by the looks of it, its expansion is accelerating.

An Steam OS, the Steam Controller and the VRH have still to get into the mainstream.

:breakfast:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Yes, steam has completely changed the gaming world for both Linux users and Window's users. Nowadays most gamers, Linux or Windows, only buy their content from Steam. I am surprised that they sell box pc games anymore..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.sakevisual.com/realistair/

http://www.desura.com/games/re-alistair

RE: Alistair++ is a free otome game (dating sim featuring a female protagonist and male bachelors) by sakevisual. It is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Merui loves video games, especially her favorite MMORPG, Rivenwell Online. Merui also has a very short temper, so when some JERK named Alistair steals a rare item from her, she's determined to exact revenge on him. Unfortunately, she has no idea who he is in real life. But hey, that's never stopped anyone, right? Take control of Merui and make new friends, balance schoolwork and fun, go shopping, search for the culprit, and maybe even discover a new romance.

Rather a quirky offering that will appeal mostly to young teenage girls. I had a quick peek at the youtube clips someone had posted and it is pretty neat. Not the most technical offering but it has several endings depending on choices made earlier in the game.

I like to see games that could have been created by almost anyone with a little technical knowledge. Whilst the game may not make the developers a fortune it will generate some loot for them.OK it is back to building up my body count in Crysis. :Smiley-IPB-400:

• Like 1

securitybreach

... i buy and download from amazon. i think i can make 5 installs, and i can download as needed.

Amazon sells Linux games?

securitybreach

no clue

Well the topic is about Linux games. That is why I was asking since you said that is how you install games.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/age-of-wonders-iii-fully-released-on-linux-some-early-thoughts-a-port-report.5236

Age of Wonders III has been highly requested by Linux fans, and now that it’s fully released I decided to take a look.

The developers graciously gave me a copy to test, so many thanks to them for this.

The Linux (and Mac) versions came alongside a new patch, and a brand new expansion. You can see their official news post on Steam linked here.

About the game (Official)

Age of Wonders III is the long anticipated sequel to the award-winning strategy series. Delivering a unique mix of Empire Building, Role Playing and Warfare, Age of Wonders III offers the ultimate in turn-based fantasy strategy for veterans of the series and new players alike!

Not my type of game really. It looks quite neat though. :breakfast: an you get unicorns :clap:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Sorry State of “Games Are Art” In 2015

It’s rare that I get angry at Apple but this week I did, loudly, particularly on Twitter. Normally I’m a defender of the company or occasionally object to something it’s done in a “it means well but made a mistake” sense, but this was different. I’m referring to the banning of historical games containing the Confederate flag from the App Store, largely on the same reasoning that other stores like Amazon did with Confederate merch.

In 2015 games are still more censored than any other medium in the West and it stinks. Apple doesn’t tell a book author to change her text after publishing, a musician to edit his lyrics or a movie to sanitize itself. However the App Store routinely bans satirical games. The App Store bans games that artistically use nudity. Moreover the App Store often issues these bans in retrospect, after a game is already live and often months afterward. The company demands changes to content or else, placing the financial prospects of developers in jeopardy largely on inscrutable (and typically political) whims that none can question. And does it offer to pay for those changes? Of course not.

What a strange and weird world we live in. :whistling:

• 1 month later...

1 in 4 Games on Steam Now Has Linux Support

There are many triple-A titles on Steam for Linux, like Bioshock Infinite, a couple of Borderlands games, Dying Light, both of the Metro 2033 titles, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Sid Meier's Civilization V, and many others.

Valve is also planning to release a new console / PC hybrid in November, named Steam Machines, and we should see an array of new titles getting ready for Linux release as we near that date.

Whilst the number of penguin players has not risen by much according to the figures shown in many polls I have a feeling that this is the year that may change. Maybe not dramatically at first but penguin player numbers will rise. Hopefully fuelled by even more penguin friendly games, the Steam OS and the Steam controller and possibly a backlash against Windows 10.

I know a few die hard we use windows and laugh at penguins folk who have made a change over to linux for everything except gaming. The only thing stopping them from becoming full time penguinistas is the gaming issue, fix that and they will forget windows even exists.

:pirate:

securitybreach

Ark: Survival Evolved is free on Steam for linux (and others) for 2 more days. I just added it to my library.

I previously had it in my wishlist and someone mentioned it so I looked and it was in my library ready to download.

As a man or woman stranded naked, freezing & starving on a mysterious island, you must hunt, harvest, craft items, grow crops, & build shelters to survive. Use skill and cunning to kill or tame & ride the Dinosaurs & primeval creatures roaming the land, & team up with hundreds of players or play locally!

http://store.steampo...com/app/346110/

ss_2fd997a2f7151cb2187043a1f41589cc6a9ebf3a.1920x1080.jpg

I read about it last year when it was still in development. Graphics look good in the screenshot, I wonder what the gaming experience is like. Me penguin box with steam on it is in York. Perhaps I can log in from here and add it to my library.I do not have steam installed up here is why I am wondering.Sounds a fun game anyway.

Now that I do not need a pc in York I now have all the parts to put together a AM3/Phenom 965 BE/Radeon HD 4850 rig. I just snagged 8GB of Hyper X Fury 1866 ram for £25 in a sale. It should be able to play a load of my slightly older games that are still on my to play list. Then I can use me soon to be built Skylake for serious slaughter. :pirate: :devil:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How to Make the Steam Controller Work Correctly on Linux

The problem appears to be with the Steam for Linux client, which does not properly detect the Steam Controller due to udev rules. Therefore, packagers of the Steam for Linux client need to update it in their GNU/Linux distributions with the instructions provided below.

Here's a temporary workaround

The following instructions, posted in the Arch Linux bug tracker, apply to the Arch Linux and Ubuntu distributions, but they should work on any other GNU/Linux operating system.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Linux Gaming in 2016, an end of year review

Posted by liamdawe

Probably one of the most important bits of news for us this year, was that the Vulkan API was finished up and released. Not long after we had driver releases with Vulkan enabled for people to play with. We also had The Talos Principle and Dota 2 release their Vulkan-enabled builds quite quickly too, which was really nice to see.

The Mesa developers continued push for improved performance is commendable too, I’ve seen plenty of extremely happy people seeing games go from unplayable to stable framerates on Mesa in a matter of a few months.

Looking back on game ports that did actually arrive, let’s start with the obvious choice here with Feral Interactive. While we know they put out quite a number of ports, it wasn’t really clear to me just how much until looking this up.

Feral released Medieval II: Total War Collection, XCOM 2, Tomb Raider, F1 2015, Life is Strange (all episodes), Dawn of War II, Chaos Rising, Retribution, Mad Max, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and finally Total War: WARHAMMER.

Those are just the tip of the iceberg this year for Linux gaming, there’s been hundreds of others of course. With us now being at nearly 3,000 games on Steam.

We had a silly amount of games released this for Linux year! We had well over 1,000 games released for Linux this year. There may be a lot of shovelware, but there’s still a lot of great games that have been released for us too.

The list of games to come for Linux in 2017 doesn’t seem to be slowing down either. Mark my words, it’s going to be another truly massive year for us. Even if it does somehow slow down, we have so many games already filling up our library we don’t really need to worry much about finding something to play.

GOL do a great job of promoting linux gaming which is starting to be a realistic choice for developers and gamers. Well done and thanks.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Brushing the dust off this topic to bring you retro gaming heaven with added Kodi so you can use it as a media centre as well - Recalbox Linux!

https://www.recalbox.com/

With the last open source retrogaming console

Recalbox allows you to re-play a variety of videogame consoles and platforms in your living room, with ease! RecalboxOS is free, open source and designed to let you create your very own recalbox in no time! Use Raspberry Pi, ODROID or even PC (x86)!

A retrogaming platform

Recalbox offers a wide selection of consoles and game systems. From the very first arcade systems to the NES, the MEGADRIVE, 32-bit platforms (such as the Playstation) and even Nintendo64.

Media Center

With Kodi already includeed, Recalbox also serves as a Media Center. By connecting it to your home network, you will be able to stream videos from any compatible devices (NAS, PC, External HDD, etc.).

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Some thoughts on Linux gaming in 2018, an end of year review

Now that 2018 is coming to a close, let’s go over what’s happened this year. It’s been incredibly interesting to follow, things haven’t been this lively for some time. Note: As this is a roundup of sorts, multiple links will go back to our articles talking about them.

Some Linux games we’re excited to see in 2019, a list to keep you going

Now that 2019 is here, let’s take a look at what interesting games Linux fans can expect to see across this year.

Grab a coffee, wipe away that new-year hangover from the wild party you had and take a look at just a small selection of what’s to come. We have a pretty mixed selection here, hopefully it will serve as a nice reminder for some titles perhaps you had missed being announced last year.

Top 5 ASCII Games on Linux

ASCII graphics have been admired by most players especially those who prefer large pixels and old-school gaming. Even with the visually impressive games such as the Rise of the Tomb Raider or Forza Horizon 3, there are some classic ASCII games still out there which are more popular. This article is for all those who either already love ASCII games or would like to try these out for a change.

Take to the virtual skies with FlightGear

If you've ever dreamed of piloting a plane, you'll love FlightGear. It's a full-featured, open source flight simulator that runs on Linux, MacOS, and Windows.

The FlightGear project began in 1996 due to dissatisfaction with commercial flight simulation programs, which were not scalable. Its goal was to create a sophisticated, robust, extensible, and open flight simulator framework for use in academia and pilot training or by anyone who wants to play with a flight simulation scenario.

Getting started

FlightGear's hardware requirements are fairly modest, including an accelerated 3D video card that supports OpenGL for smooth framerates.

It runs well on my Linux laptop with an i5 processor and only 4GB of RAM. Its documentation includes an online manual; a wiki with portals for users and developers; and extensive tutorials (such as one for its default aircraft, the Cessna 172p) to teach you how to operate it.

Enjoy folks. :breakfast:

• Like 2

132 of the 250 most highly rated games on Steam support Linux, even more when counting Steam Play

As it turns out, there’s quite a lot! A lot higher than I was personally expecting it to be, it’s one of those times where I’m happily wrong. Overall, out of the 250 most highly rated titles on Steam as reviewed by users, 132 of them have official Linux support. Compared with Mac which has 156, we’re not far off there at all. Let's just remember how small the Linux gaming platform is compared to Windows, over 50% there really is impressive.

To put it all together then—Linux titles that are officially supported plus Steam Play titles with a “Platinum” rating together make 153 out of 250 of the most highly rated Steam games. Overall, that's a pretty decent number of highly rated games available to play on Linux.

• Like 2