Game on Linux

rakemup

Wow my Radeon HD 6870 (R600) scored mostly Platinum and Gold on a large majority of the games.

An there are some very decent games included in that list.

I had another look at my Steam games on Arch.

Seems that "lib32-nvidia-utils" was in conflict with some "mesa?" package when I did an update so I let the "mesa?" package replace it. Well I went back and and replaced the "mesa?" package with "lib3" .

Now Postal2 instead of a black screen with some sound gives me the proper graphical welcome screen along with the options menu. Hurrah. However when I tried to change the resolution fro mm 800x600 to my 19200x1200 the whole thing locked up on me.So I had to to change my tty and kill the program. Changing tty to my desktop the resolution had changed, everything was bigger and only a small part of the de was showing, a reboot sorted the problem.

I do not think it is the de causing the problem as I have tried with two de's and both show similar results. The problem lies with the way the games are trying to access the graphics I think. Looks like I will have to keep on searching for a answer. :breakfast:

Well I had another go at gaming with Steam and Arch 64. I can now play all the Steam games I bought along with HL. All play with decent graphics and sound.

HL loads sections quick as a flash and gaming is smooth apart from an occasional hicup when changing weapons and firing.

However running E17 and then gaming I still have my de resolution altered along with pre set window configs and the only way to get things right again so far is to reboot.

I do not have time to try in WindowMaker so this may just be a E17 thing.

I'll report back.

As all the games are running it may take me some time. :Laughing:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/03/we-test-leap-motions-controller-free-gaming-and-find-it-finger-pointing-good/

It's been over a year since Leap Motion first publicly unveiled its idea for a gum-pack-sized motion tracker that promised sub-millimeter accuracy and easy finger tracking.

If they can get this to work with First Person Shooters they will have to rename them to Finger Pointing Shooters :hysterical:

• 4 weeks later...
Well this is certainly a nice change to see from all the puzzle and platformer games recently, especially for me since Road Rash is a game i spent many hours on as a young man. I had it for Sega's Mega Drive console and also for the original Playstation as well for the 3D version so for me this is very exciting!

http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/road-redemption-a-spiritual-successor-to-road-rash-for-linux.1940

Road Redemption takes place in a nightmare version of the American midwest.

You play a recently-paroled felon. After 8 years in federal prison, you must work your way back up from the bottom of your old motorcycle club.

As you rise in the ranks, it becomes clear that not all of your brothers are acting in the best interests of the club, and may even be responsible for your incarceration.

You must play a pivotal role in the resulting power struggle, with multiple outcomes depending on your actions.

Eventually, you can lead your own faction and fight to control territory and drug distribution routes in a war for survival and supremacy.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darkseasgames/road-redemption

Looks like a darn good fun game. :shifty:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
"However," Newell said, "what we became convinced of is that Linux really is the future of gaming."

In February, they (finally!) shipped the long-awaited Steam client for Linux users with just a few games. Now, in September, they have 198 games running on Linux. The next direction for Valve in helping Linux gaming be successful is to develop a Linux debugger (in addition to their work on the LLVM debugger).

Be nice when you can play any pc game on any platform, especially nice on a penguin box. :breakfast:

• 1 month later...

Quote: Six action-packed games to add to your collection. The Humble WB Games Bundle features six of the publisher’s top titles. Pay what you want and get the first installment of the critically-acclaimed Batman: Arkham franchise, Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition, as well as both of the intensely frightening paranormal shooters F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin and F.E.A.R. 3 and the groundbreaking action-RPG, Lord of the Rings: War in the North! Pay more than the average and you’ll also unlock Scribblenauts Unlimited and the sequel to Arkham Asylum, Batman: Arkham City Game of the Year Edition.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Cheaper than chips. It is going to be a Dark and fear filled winter for me. dance.gif

If you are really skint or really tight you can get 5 great games for $1. Who says there is not a Great God of Gaming. :worthy:

securitybreach

I will buy the pack but currently none of the games are available for Linux on Steam. They were getting as they will be ported eventually but not yet. BTW You can still add them to your steam account and they will show up in your Linux Library when they get ported.

Yeah I got the bundle to play on W7. Some publishers give free ports to linux but not all do I seem to recal.Mind you with a box running Steam OS it does not really matter. :breakfast:

securitybreach

Yeah I got the bundle to play on W7. Some publishers give free ports to linux but not all do I seem to recal.Mind you with a box running Steam OS it does not really matter. :breakfast:

Yeah I just mentioned it because you announced it in the Linux section of the forums (BATL).

Yeah I just mentioned it because you announced it in the Linux section of the forums (BATL).

Oooooooops I forgot it was a linux thread. Must have been carried away with the amazing deal. In my defence you will be able to play them with a Steam OS machine. o:)

• Like 1

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Devolver-Steam-Sale-Offers-Linux-Players-Games-at-Ridiculous-Prices-398577.shtml

Devolver may not be a big name in the gaming industry just yet, but they do have some amazing games under their roof.

The sale on Steam is set to run from November 7 to November 11 and includes a ton of titles with native Linux support: Serious Sam 3: BFE, Hotline Miami, Shadow Warrior, Shadow Warrior Classic Redux, Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition, Foul Play, and Dungeon Hearts.

:shifty:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/experimenting-with-steams-inhome-streaming.3039/page=1#comments

In-Home Streaming was part of the SteamOS announcement Valve made back in September and beta invites to the functionality have been sent to some people around the internet. Luckily I was part of that group and I can share some of it with you!

Neat. You can use lower spec pc's to play some of the more modern games. Yet another crack in the Microsoft Wall of Dominance. :clap:

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/many-linux-games-to-look-forward-to-in-2014.3109/

So Linux has a lot of games now, with plenty more still to come this year as it's early days yet, but I have decided to list a few you really need to keep an eye on. Since we post so much news nowadays I feel that it is a good time to reflect on what we have still yet to come, so you don't get lost in a sea of Linux games.

Edit > Just to make this clear since people like to be silly, this is not a final list of games to come, these are my choice picks for this article. There are hundreds more to come.

The quality of linux games is leaping forward at a phenomenal rate. Steam are spearheading the rush but a lot of games will be produced that can be played without the Steam client too.

Windows gaming will see a decline. The dinosaur is dying. Long live evolution. :pirate:

One game that I have supported since it was first conceived is,

http://projectzomboid.com/

2014-03-02-122409785x543scrot.png

The concept is fab. you know you will be overrun and die. The question is how do you choose to live till then.

Rather like real life. :breakfast:

• 2 weeks later...

Double up with five great games & five marvelous movies. This special promotion is brought to you by Devolver Digital featuring the world debuts of the music game Cosmic DJ and Good Game, a documentary following the journey of Team Evil Geniuses' Starcraft 2 division! Pay $1 or more to enjoy retro shooters Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition and Shadow Warrior Classic Redux, and three awesome independent films – Austin High, One Couch at a Time, and The Poisoning. Pay $10 or more to also get three more bang-up games, Defense Technica, Marc Eckō's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure, Cosmic DJ, and two magnificent movies: Good Game and MARS. Whether you're grabbing for the next handful of popcorn or the controller, there's something in this sale you're bound to enjoy!

Great savings. Normally these games and movies would cost you more than $109, but we're letting you pay as low as $1 to enjoy this content!

https://www.humblebundle.com/devolver

Another great deal from Humble. I posted cause Duke Nukem was mentioned elsewhere recently and most of them play on linux. :breakfast:

• 1 month later...
Guest LilBambi

There is also DosBOX which works in all OSes, truly cross platform.

NOTE: for Windows versions, hope they have the zip file version which might be a better choice from SourceForge these days. They are adding DevShare crapware in the executables.

Today We Offer DevShare (Beta), A Sustainable Way To Fund Open Source Software

How far the once mighty SourceForge has fallen… - Gluster Community

• 2 weeks later...
abarbarian

2K to release The Art of the Game documentary for free

2K Games has announced that it will release a feature-length documentary on the artistic culture behind contemporary gaming, dubbed The Art of the Game, free of charge later this month.

The film is to debut with a live broacast tomorrow at 9PM BST, repeated again at 2AM, on the Machinima Twitch channel. Xbox One and Xbox 360 owners will then be able to stream the film on-demand using the Machinima app for free from the 9th to the 11th of May, with the film going general-access on the 12th via Machinima's YouTube channel and the film's official Facebook page.

Should be an interesting watch. :shifty:

Edited by abarbarian

• 1 month later...
abarbarian

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/09/darpa_builds_computer_game_to_test_open_source_software/

Secret-squirrel military tech bureau DARPA has designed a series of computer games which can help to verify open source software.

Five games are available to be played on the website Verigames and some of the software verified by gamers may even end up being used by DARPA itself and other government organisations. ®

http://www.verigames.com/

I'm sure I have seen a movie with this sort of plot. :whistling:

Big cache of Atari games found in landfill site in New Mexico.. Still in wrappers and still working . Atari 2600. Worst game ever.