Game on Linux

rakemup

Steam installed through pacman.

Games installed through Steam.

Pc specs in profile.

Half Life has graphics but no sound.

So I have some moving graphics for a Steam game but not for others. If I find a solution I'll post back.

A long time ago I made the decision, that if a game would not install and run I would not waste time with it. I do not mind being a tester for free games but if I pay for a game I expect it work.

:shifty:

securitybreach

I told you how to get sound working on HalfLife above:

It happens if there is no PulseAudio in your system. If you want to use Alsa, you need to launch the Steam or game directly with SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa (From SteamCommunity).

If it still doesn't work, you may also need to set the environment variable AUDIODEV. For instance AUDIODEV=Live. Use aplay -l to list the available sound cards.

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=34781&st=150&do=findComment&comment=368190

I had to do this when I installed it. Afterwards, it worked beautifully with sound.

securitybreach

Yes I read your original post. An I followed the Steam link and read it all the way through 3 pages of it. An my answer at post 155 still stands. :whistling:

Wait a second, 3 pages? It was an Archwiki link: https://wiki.archlin...oubleshooting_7

Nevermind, try running the game through steam via the console and post the output to pastebin.com or somewhere and post the link here so I can look through it.

Amnesia The Dark Descent --- opens up with a options window > choose options > kicked back to the Steam Games Library page. So at least I can choose audio, video, screen size, but I can not play the game.

Oh well. I did not expect plain sailing an would not expect totally plain sailing in Ubuntu either. Early days, early days. :shifty:

Amnesia: Dark Descent demo ran perfectly on aptosid when I tried it a while ago, non-Steam.

I agree that I won't be losing my Win 7 install for a long time yet, probably never. There are a lot of good games that will never come out on Linux, even with Steam. I've nearly finished Need For Speed: Most Wanted and want to play Ace Combat - Assault Horizons next. And GTA5 is looming for release, actually looming quite distantly as current ETA is September.

securitybreach

do games like gta4 run on linux? would love to see that happen and i mean by running it native not through wine etc

Unfortunately, unless they release a Linux version, it will not run native due to it requiring Directx.

Guest LilBambi

Yeah, would like to see games get away from dependency on Windows ONLY DirectX stuff. Go with more cross platform to begin with and they will have a bigger audience and not so hard to port it.

securitybreach

Yeah, would like to see games get away from dependency on Windows ONLY DirectX stuff. Go with more cross platform to begin with and they will have a bigger audience and not so hard to port it.

Well luckily if they offer their game on Linux using Steam, Steam takes care of the installation even for Directx games.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Yeah, but DirectX doesn't work on Linux of course, unless you use Windows in a Virtual environment. Steam is supposed to be doing it natively right?

What I am talking about is that all games should be moving to a more cross platform engine and video/audio rendering so it is easier to port in general. Not just with Steam purchases which don't always work out for bandwidth challenged gamers sadly.

So continuing my adventure with Steam.

Postal 2 installed in Steam. When I came to open the game I was presented a black screen with sound in the background. It sucessfully locked up my user session, nothing responded at all. I had to go to another tty to start top and close down the game and Steam.

Going back to my original session I found that I teh screen resolution had changed down to 640x480 and also my keyboard had changed mysteriously to a USA kb.I thought a rebbot might rectify matters.The pc would not shut down cleanly and I had to cut the power manually. However on rebooting I could not gain my E17 desktop, faults and errors were showing. Luckily I have WindowMaker installed so after changing ~/,xinitrc I was able to access that, where my kb was as it should have been a UK kb.

So I uninstalled E17 and reinstalled. Now everything is back to normal. Well apart from all the E17 customisations I had made, so now I have to faff around with them again.

Yes I should have some backup configs, but I don't. -------- must make backups.

So that is five games out of seven that do not work on Arch. With only one game even running and that is without sound.All in all not a very good start for me and Steam on linux.

I wonder how the buntu's are getting along with Steam ? :breakfast:

securitybreach

Josh, are you saying Linux users can play DirectX games via Steam? They port it for the developer?

I think I may be mistaken on that but I am not for sure.

securitybreach

So that is five games out of seven that do not work on Arch. With only one game even running and that is without sound.All in all not a very good start for me and Steam on linux.

I wonder how the buntu's are getting along with Steam ? :breakfast:

Have you considered that it may be the window manager you are using that is causing the blank screen? The reason I mention that is because I had the same issues under Xmonad until I tried it again under KDE.

I do not understand why it is not working for you considering I played 2 out of the 5 games you listed and they ran just fine on Archlinux.

Have you considered that it may be the window manager you are using that is causing the blank screen? The reason I mention that is because I had the same issues under Xmonad until I tried it again under KDE.

I do not understand why it is not working for you considering I played 2 out of the 5 games you listed and they ran just fine on Archlinux.

E17 may indeed be the problem. Ta for the thought. I'll investigate and report back. :shifty:

So far with Mageia Linux and Steam, have only tried Team Forrtess 2' and it works (i"m not a gamer so waiting for son to "push' through his games and let me know how it goes)

But from what i saw it seemed fine.

Games Running WIth Open-Source Radeon Graphics

Supported Program List for Free Radeon Drivers

This page is only for the open source Xorg Radeon drivers. radeon (xf86-video-ati) for 2D; radeon, r200 Mesa Classic drivers and r300, r600 Gallium drivers only. THIS PAGE IS NOT FOR THE CLOSED-SOURCE FGLRX/CATALYST DRIVER PROVIDED BY AMD/ATI.

Also check out the RadeonFeature page.

This list works on the same principle as the Wine game list, but there are some important differences.

The biggest difference is that we are tracking driver capabilities, not performance. It doesn't matter if your game runs at 1680x1050 with everything cranked up, what matters is whether or not it is rendering properly.

http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram

:breakfast: