Game on Linux

rakemup

I like the sound of Cradle. :breakfast:

That's the one I was most interested in. Unfortunately it appears to be not finished yet, with no alphas or betas on offer from the website.

That's the one I was most interested in. Unfortunately it appears to be not finished yet, with no alphas or betas on offer from the website.

I have been waiting for the game to be finished since I saw mention of it nearly two years ago. Looks like it may be similar to Syberia or even better.

http://www.syberia-series.com/en/designs-syberia-les-aventures-de-kate-walker.html

:shifty:

• 4 weeks later...

------------------------------

----------------------------------------

TOPIC: CrossOver Announcements

SUBJECT: CrossOver for free on Wednesday, October 31

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Folks,

I am happy to announce that we will be providing a copy of CrossOver for free to all comers this Halloween, Wednesday, October 31, from 00:00 until 23:59 pm, Central Daylight Time. That's the treat - we hope you enjoy it, and we hope you spread the word to all your friends so they, too, can enjoy CrossOver goodness. The expected 'trick' is that if you're a US citizen, you should go vote next Tuesday.

You can read more about it in our press release here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/about/general/press/20121029/

and you can see our internal staff reaction to the news here:

Existing customers will get a free 12 month extension added to their entitlement, so they can enjoy CrossOver for 12 further months.

To sign up for your free copy or free 12 month extension, simply visit this web page:

http://flock.codeweavers.com

any time on October 31, 2012, from 00:00 until 23:59 CDT.

If you have questions about the details of this promotion, we have

a FAQ page here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/flockthevoteqa/

Now I've got to run, they've tracked my IP address to this coffee shop I'm hiding in... <grin>

Cheers,

Jeremy "Mallard" White

Splendid offer. :shifty:

• 1 month later...

http://linuxaria.com...aria» English)

Valve has announced on a private mailing list that the Steam client for Linux beta will be opened to everyone from the coming week, this after an initial launch of a closed beta that lasted about 1 month.

Because of the stability provided by the client of Steam for Linux, Valve has finally decided to open the beta to everyone.

In this regard they indicate in the mailing list:

“The Open Beta will be available to the public and will increase the current population from 80K to a higher number”

:clap:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

Maybe Cradle should try funding via Kickstarter. Some games there have been well overfunded, up to 11,000% ! I'd like to see it finished, or at least playable.

On another note, I finally managed to thrash GnuBackgammon - in a 7 point match I scored 9 points to 0 with a backgammon in the final game. :D

And I'm on to Need For Speed: Most Wanted in Windows, good fun. Will try Binary Domain next.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Shame about Cradle. I really like the look of it. Hope they sort their problems out.

Sunrat - way to go now you have beaten GnuBackgammon you could take it up full time and become a pro player :Laie_95:

http://sparkylinux.org/sparkylinux-2-0-1-gameover/

SparkyLinux 2.0.1 ‘GameOver’ is a speciall Christmas/New Year editon of 2012.

It has been built on last release of SparkyLinux 2.0 ‘Eris’ and it’s designed for games players.

Many applicatioans have been removed from the system and replaced by games.

The main system is based on Debian testing ‘Wheezy’ and has LXDE as the default desktop.

All packages has been synchronized with Debian testing repos of 12/12/2012.

What’s under the hood:

- Linux kernel 3.2

- LXDE

- Iceweasel, VLC, Leafpad, Pidgin, Transmission, XChat and a few really important apps

- Flash, Java, multimedia codecs, VLC plugin for Iceweasel

- Desura for Linux

- Steam beta for Linux

- Wine & PlayOnLinux

- Set of games: 0ad, 3dchess, airstrike, aisleroit, alienblaster, amphetamine, antigravitaattori, armagetron, asciijump, asylum, atomix, balazar3, balazarbrothers, balder2d, barrage, battleball, berusky, billard-gl, biniax2, blobandconquer, bloboats, boswars, brutalchess, btanks, bygfoot, extreme tux racer, flightgear, foobillard, freecraft, freedroid, frozen-bubble, glchess, glines, gnect, gnibbles, gnobots2, gnome-hearts, gnome-sudoku, gnomine, gnotravex, gnotski, gnubik, gnugo, gsoko, gtali, gtkatlantic, gtkpool, gnuroar, holdingnuts, iango, lightsoff, liquidwar, lincity, lordsawar, maelstorm, mahjongg, megaglest, mokomaze, monsterz, moon-boogy, moon-lander, netmaze, netpanzer, neverputt, open arena, pacman, performous, quadrapassel, scorched3d, slimvolley, snake4, snowballz, super tux, super tux kart, swell-foop, tennix, transcend, trigger-rally, trophy, warzone2100, wesnoth, xmoto, zaz.

This looks like a neat way to try out some games and gaming on GNU/Linux. :breakfast:

Steam is up and running on my Arch 64. Graphics good, speed is fast. I have no sound, I use alsa so maybe I need pulse or oss. I'll investigate and report back.

As I already have a Windows copy of HL I was ordered the HL Beta which I installed and is the game I used for testing. I only ran through the Training section so do not know if game saves work.

I'm looking forward to more titles on Steam linux but my work flow may drop dramaticaly. :teehee:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Unfortunately, you have to run a proprietary driver like Catalyst or Nvidia to run Steam. The Catalyst driver does not perform as well as the open source xf86-video-ati driver so no Linux gaming for me. :thumbsdown:

Oh well, I do not game much anyway B)

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, you have to run a proprietary driver like Catalyst or Nvidia to run Steam. The Catalyst driver does not perform as well as the open source xf86-video-ati driver so no Linux gaming for me. :thumbsdown:

Oh well, I do not game much anyway B)

I'm sure that over at Phronix I have seen bechmarks taht show you can game with open source drivers and in some games they perform almost as good as the proprietary ones. It is the more modern games that struggle with open source drivers.

Anyways STEAM on LINUX is now official and to celebrate they are having a half price sale. Some real good time wasters to be had for pennies/cents. Not Crysis 3 but still dran good fun.

http://steamforlinux.com/?q=en/node/169

Linux users rejoice! Valve has just released the official Steam client for Linux. At the same time, a huge celebration sale of all Linux games hast been started on Steam. There are 50% to 75% discounts on all games for Linux.

Moreover, Valve advertises Linux as a gaming platform and recommends using Ubuntu.

The time for Linux players has never been so beautiful before!

:th_0140:

securitybreach

In related news, Valve has given the OK for distros to repackage Steam for their repos :-

Steam Can Now Be Repackaged In Linux Distributions

Yup, now Steam is in the Community Repos on Archlinux:

$ pacman -Ss steam
multilib/steam 1.0.0.25-4 [installed]
Digital distribution client - open beta - bootstrap package

I installed Steam and everything seemed to work fine. First it had to download some updated files and then it fully opened. Since I have not purchased any games through steam besides Portal(windows version), I had a blank library. I decided to search and see if there were any free Linux games on Steam. Well I found that Team Fortress 2(Multiplayer FPS) was free-to-play so I added it to my Steam account. Next Steam had to download some data files for the game but I had to leave before the data files downloaded so I let it run while I was at work.

So I just tried it out and it worked flawlessly, although I had to change over to kde as I was having issues on Xmonad/Steam (tiling wm issue??). I also had to tweak the game since I use alsa instead of pulse:

No audio

It happens if there is no PulseAudio in your system. If you want to use Alsa, you need to launch the Steam or game directly with SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa (From SteamCommunity).

If it still doesn't work, you may also need to set the environment variable AUDIODEV. For instance AUDIODEV=Live. Use aplay -l to list the available sound cards.

https://wiki.archlin.../Steam#No_audio

After doing that, I had perfect sound and I was able to use High video settings for the game. I was very impressed and I think that the majority of Linux users will now be able to use their entire hdd for Linux instead of having to dual boot for games.

Also, Steam has a major sale on all of their Linux games: Steam for Linux release celebration sale

There are tons of games available for Linux on Steam for under $5, gotta love it!! Linux gaming is right up there with Windows now!!! I have been waiting many years for this to finally happen. Thanks Steam!!! :bounce:

BTW The sale is going on till the 25th 21st and I plan on buying 3 or 4 games to help support gaming on Linux in the next day or so.

Also, I previously thought that Steam only worked with ATI and Nvidia proprietary drivers but it worked flawlessly withe the open source xf86-video-ati drivers.

Hope they get Steam packaged for Debian soon. It has been made to work but I just read 16 pages at steamcommunity.com and this -Updated Procedures for Installing Steam for Linux Beta on Debian GNU/Linux (Testing/Wheezy). Should be easier on sid but it still requires a later version of libc6 which could be tricky.I might wait for it to be packaged properly, or just install Ubuntu (did I just say that?! :o Wash your mouth out with soap, young rat!)

Later: just found this solution, sounds much easier - Cleanly installing on Debian Sid . Might give it a try.

securitybreach

The Steam sale only runs till the 21st of the month by the way. :whistling:

The Steam sale only runs till the 21st of the month by the way. :whistling:

Yeah I miss typed that

securitybreach

Hope they get Steam packaged for Debian soon. It has been made to work but I just read 16 pages at steamcommunity.com and this -Updated Procedures for Installing Steam for Linux Beta on Debian GNU/Linux (Testing/Wheezy). Should be easier on sid but it still requires a later version of libc6 which could be tricky.I might wait for it to be packaged properly, or just install Ubuntu (did I just say that?! :o Wash your mouth out with soap, young rat!)

Later: just found this solution, sounds much easier - Cleanly installing on Debian Sid . Might give it a try.

Well I dunno if I would try the beta version as Stable has already been released for Linux. This may also help: Steam installer for Debian (scroll to the bottom for dependencies). The script looks like grabs the latest .deb installer so it will use the latest Stable version.

The Team Fortress thingy runs till the end of the month though.

I bought

Penumbra Collectors Pack

3.19 GBP

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

3.25 GBP

The Book of Unwritten Tales Digital Deluxe

4.99 GBP

Dynamite Jack

0.99 GBP

Postal 2 Complete

5.99 GBP

I really really hate Steam sales :Laughing: Hope they all run on Arch.

• Like 1

securitybreach
I really really hate Steam sales :Laughing: Hope they all run on Arch.

Since they are the Linux version of the game and Arch uses the official Steam client(from upstream), you should have no issues running them on Archlinux. I do look forward to your experiences though.

Remember to read the wiki page I linked to above as it also covers a bunch of the Linux Steam Games you mentioned, troubleshooting and tips/tricks for Steam.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Penumbra:_Overture

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Amnesia:_The_Dark_Descent

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#The_Book_of_Unwritten_Tales

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam

I was very impressed and I think that the majority of Linux users will now be able to use their entire hdd for Linux instead of having to dual boot for games.

Linux gaming is right up there with Windows now!!!

Since they are the Linux version of the game and Arch uses the official Steam client(from upstream), you should have no issues running them on Archlinux.

I'm just hazarding a guess here but I recon you do not have a great deal of gaming experience with any os :harhar:

HL ---- plays with no sound.Everything else seems fine.Have not tried to save a game yet though.

Dynamite Jack -- Installed fine. On first opening, graphics looked good and I had sound. Tried to change screen resolution and the whole pc locked up. Second attempt just gave me a black screen but I did have sound.

Downloading Penumra Overture. Will it work or not ?? :sweatingbullets:

securitybreach

I'm just hazarding a guess here but I recon you do not have a great deal of gaming experience with any os :harhar:

Actually I have a lot of gaming experience as I play through pretty much every FPS (well the top ones anyway) that comes out. Granted I only play games once or twice a month but I usually beat a game in one sitting (10-12 hour marathons). So I am not really for sure what you are referring to unless you mean the grammar mistakes but it was late.

securitybreach

HL ---- plays with no sound.Everything else seems fine.Have not tried to save a game yet though.

Are you using alsa or pulse:

No audio

It happens if there is no PulseAudio in your system. If you want to use Alsa, you need to launch the Steam or game directly with SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa (From SteamCommunity).

If it still doesn't work, you may also need to set the environment variable AUDIODEV. For instance AUDIODEV=Live. Use aplay -l to list the available sound cards.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Troubleshooting_7

[/size]

Actually I have a lot of gaming experience as I play through pretty much every FPS (well the top ones anyway) that come out. Granted I only play games once or twice a month but I usually beat a game in one sitting (10-12 hour marathons). So I am not really for sure what you are refering to unless you mean the grammar mistakes but it was late.

It was cynical british humour. :breakfast: hence the :harhar: :harhar:

Linux gaming is right up there with Windows now ------------ When you can install Crysis or any other top ten shooter it might be.

I was very impressed and I think that the majority of Linux users will now be able to use their entire hdd for Linux instead of having to dual boot for games.--------- see above

Since they are the Linux version of the game and Arch uses the official Steam client(from upstream), you should have no issues running them on Archlinux.------ :228823: Did you really write that ? All the programs you have ever tried install and work fine first time o:) :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

I do not really understand what the above is saying ?

securitybreach

It was cynical british humour. :breakfast: hence the :harhar: :harhar:

Gotcha B)

Linux gaming is right up there with Windows now ------------ When you can install Crysis or any other top ten shooter it might be.

Well not every game but there are a lot of top titles plus there are more and more coming everyday. Also since Steam now has a Linux client and handles the installation of games, it will make it easier for developers to support all OSs when porting their game to Steam.

I was very impressed and I think that the majority of Linux users will now be able to use their entire hdd for Linux instead of having to dual boot for games.--------- see above

Same as above. This will not happen over night but it will happen. It is just a matter of time.

Since they are the Linux version of the game and Arch uses the official Steam client(from upstream), you should have no issues running them on Archlinux.------ :228823: Did you really write that ? All the programs you have ever tried install and work fine first time

No, but I was referring to your question about whether it would work on Arch as it does on Ubuntu. You may run into a hiccup getting is configured but if it works on Ubuntu, it should work on Arch.

Ah ha the optimism of youth. :shifty:

Penumra Overture ----- Gives me a black screen for 20 or 30 seconds with some sound. Then I get (see pic) with different sounds. Thats it. There is no way to escape apart from going to another tty. Running top from the other tty will not kill penumbra.bin. Had to reboot.

So for my over one GB downloads and several pounds and some hours. I have DJ which has got worse and locks up me pc. PO which gives a pretty picture and some scary noises and locks up me pc.

3y2Isgpl.png

Gaming (on any platform) don't you just love it. :whistling:

securitybreach

Are you running these through Steam or local install? The reason I ask is because I had no issues at all when running TF and I cannot find anything on your Penumbra issue. Did you install all of the deps per the link I gave above?