"Fake Rogues" Promoted via YouTube

Corrine

As reported by Microsoft MVP, S!Ri, there have been several fake, fake anti-spyware programs promoted through YouTube. So far, these fake rogues do not have a registration code behind the "Activate" button. Instead, the activation button points to the same message: Registration failed!It appears that the fakes are being made by script kiddies with a virus creation kit that includes rogue templates. These include User Antivirus 2010 and New Antivirus 2010.The fakes have been added to detection by Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

I wonder if that's how my clueless user got infected? I can see him on YouTube clicking everything and anything.Fortunately his registration failed but he did type in all his info and his credit card number!

• 2 weeks later...

In my very limited experience, having cleaned a friends system with MBAM from Antivir rogue, The AV may not catch such, and for that reason I run MBAM and maybe SAS alongside my AV regardless of which one I am using at the time. FWIW my friend was using up to date Norton.Thanks for the heads up, and I am pleased to see that MBAM has added those to its base.Regards,Jerry