Outlook Express cannot be opened

drcott

I have not been able to open Outlook Express for receiving messages.I have no trouble writing and sending messages.When I go to Outlook Express,then to create messages,it says:Folder could not be displayed.Outlook Express could not open this folder.Possible causes:Low disk space,low memory.In order to send and receive messages I go to my ISP,Earthlink and go to Webmail.I have an IBM Thinkpad 1261 laptop.Windows 98 SE,128 RAM,6 Gig hard drive.I contacted IBM but they told me to contact Microsoft.Microsoft charges $35.00.Another problem I have is occasionally my mouse curser either goes off desk top or simply doesn't move.After I wait a few seconds,then it moves.

does it give you an error in Outlook Express? Please elaborate more on this problem?Second idea... are your mail settings setup correctly?earthlink.netPOP Server: pop.earthlink.net SMTP Server: smtp.earthlink.net

I just went to Outlook Express,clicked on file ,import,mail account settings.A small dialogue box said:no other email accounts could be found.

Guest LilBambi

Good idea to check your incoming server is correct as GolfProRM indicated.Could you also verify that you are running an updated (current virus definitions) of your antivirus program? And that you have done a complete scan of the hard drive with your AV software with no viruses detected since this problem started?Also, have you ever been able to receive messages in Outlook Express on this computer previously? What version of Outlook Express are you using?If this just started and you used to be able to receive messages, it could be a corrupted inbox folder dbx * files, which could be removed (after closing Outlook Express), and Outlook Express would recreate a new (empty) Inbox when you open Outlook Express again. Or it could be a virus causing the problem.But we would have to have more information to adequately help.* dbx files used in OE 6.x - These folders are generally in a folder under the following path: C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{huge number in here}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\For more specific help with Outlook Express problems of this nature, you can refer to the following InsideOE.

I also found this...Microsoft Knowledge Base ArticleWhen I did a search for the error message you posted, I came up with a lot of info about read-only mailboxes... Try checking this...Also, I appreciate you posting the error, but please, next time, start a new post with the error... If Bambi hadn't posted, I never would have noticed that you added to your message... It doesn't mark your message as new if you edit it. Thanks! :)RESOLUTIONTo resolve this issue, remove the read-only attribute from the Outlook Express *.dbx mail files:

• Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.In the Named box, type *.dbx, in the Look in box, click Local hard drives (C:), and then click Find Now.For each *.dbx file that is found, right-click the file, click Properties, and then clear the Read-only check box.Click Apply, and then click Close.

NOTE: The *.dbx files should only have the Archive check box selected.

I currently have AVG anti virus(a free download).I do continuously run anti virus scans.Now I think at one time about 4-6 months ago I did have the Klez virus,which I fixed,and did have quite a few corrupted files.Some I deleted,some I currently cannot open.I've been using O.E.6 (no service packs) for about a year.

Guest ComputerBob

drcott,As a moderator, I just received an email from the forum because you clicked on the "Report this post" link at the bottom of one of the messages in this topic.At first I was confused, but then I realized that the email that I received contains your reply to one of the other posts in this thread.In other words, you reported the post to a moderator when what you really wanted to do was reply to it. :unsure: To reply to someone else's post, just scroll to either the top or the bottom of the page and click on the ADD REPLY button that appears there. :lol: The "Report this post" link that you clicked on is only used when you want to call a moderator's attention to an inappropriate post. ^_^

Re:Cannot open Outlook Express.I followed your resolution.I had 363 *.dbx files.I only went thru about 20 files and they all had the read only check box clear and the archive check box in just those 20 files was checked.

Re:Cannot open Outlook ExpressTemmu:Do you suggest I check all 363 files? if so,tommorrow is another day.So I think I'll check out for the night.Thanks to you and others for your help.drcott

363 .dbx files... wow! The ones that are important are the ones you'll find in C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{long string of numbers}\Microsoft\Outlook ExpressThese are the ones you should check. Mine for example has three (granted I don't use OE) that are Folders.dbx, Inbox.dbx, and Offline.dbx.Look for a few that you recognize.... and make sure they're all in this folder... If they're all in this folder, my suggestion would be to move all of them to a different folder on your harddrive (say a new folder on your desktop), then start Outlook Express and see what happens.... If it doesn't fix the problem, you can always put the files back. dbx files in another location are probably for a different program. It will tell you the file location in your search.Hope this helps!!!

Guest LilBambi

Since you say you have so many 363! dbx files in the "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{long string of numbers}\Microsoft\Outlook Express" folder ...And you indicated your main issue was receiving mail ...I would start with deleting the inbox.dbx while Outlook Express is closed and then opening it again, and letting Lookout Express, I mean Outlook Express ;) recreate it. Then if you are sure your POP3 incoming server is correct ... try clicking Send/Receive again.See if you get the same error or if it brings 'em on home ;) NOTE: If you have mail filters set up, and you start getting some mails in your inbox, but get the error anyway...start working on the other .dbx files.

Guest ThunderRiver

This is out of topic, but please only use the "Report" feature when you find topic that are against forum rules. The "report" feature is not a hotline to get mod support on you technical problems