Dual Booting with Raid0

georgeg4

Has anyone dual booted with Raid0 64 bit . I have a friend that is a bit interested in linux . He ran the live cd on his computer successfully , and might be interested in dual booting it if possible

V.T. Eric Layton

Hardware (real) RAID is easy with Linux. Software (fake) RAID can be problematic. I never could get my software RAID to work in Linux. To be honest, I didn't try all that hard either, since I had plans of breaking down the array anyway, which I eventually did.

I was able to dual boot a 32 bit distro and windows without issues. Never tried a 64 bit install, intel ICH10r controller X58 board. I would think that intel wouldn't have any issues. Other controllers nvidia, amd or manufacture controller might not be that easy.

I run Mandriva 2010 which is my distro of choice on this PC with the ASUS P5QL-E a Quad Core CPU and 2 Velociraptor HDD's using the Nvidia software RAID, so far Mandriva has been the only installer I have run across that autodetects them on install and sets them up nicely. There may be other distro's that do this but I may not have tried them yet. I know with Ubuntu it doesn't autodetect during the regular install so you have got to use the alternate iso versions and then load "mdadm" to get it going, there is a step by step howto guide you can find with a simple google search. Hope this helps. BTW running Linux on a fast pc and with 2 fast hdds in Raid really is nice, your friend should love it

V.T. Eric Layton

Hi Corsairs! (My fav WWII vintage fighter - F4U, by the way)WELCOME to Scots and to Bruno's All Things Linux! :teehee:

Hi :)I am the person that George refers to.I have no luck with any Linux 64 bit variant & raid.Even mixing no-raid for Linux & keeping raid0 for Windows 7.Doesn't help.My raid is s/w (intel ICH10).Mandriva gave the most promising result with Live CD.But won't install.openSUSE was second, will install/work.Until updates come in.Then problems with USB kick in.Leaving me with no k/b etc.Will maybe try 32 bit.But on the whole not very promising.Use latest versions, inc various beta's.Not looking for help here.Just wished to add to George's post.

Hi :)I am the person that George refers to.I have no luck with any Linux 64 bit variant & raid.Even mixing no-raid for Linux & keeping raid0 for Windows 7.Doesn't help.My raid is s/w (intel ICH10).Mandriva gave the most promising result with Live CD.But won't install.openSUSE was second, will install/work.Until updates come in.Then problems with USB kick in.Leaving me with no k/b etc.Will maybe try 32 bit.But on the whole not very promising.Use latest versions, inc various beta's.Not looking for help here.Just wished to add to George's post.
Just wondering if you have tried lilo assuming you are using Grub. As I said before I had pclinux (586) installed on the raid before without issue, but it is a raid 0/raid 5 mix and iirc I installed linux on a partition on the large raid 5. The raid 0 us for my windows install.

Hi :)Yesterday I ended up with 18 critical updates.Install & bedlam ensued.Today, 19 critical updates, install & everything remains as it should.Guess like golf, you really need a 19th. :thumbsup:

Just wondering if you have tried lilo assuming you are using Grub. As I said before I had pclinux (586) installed on the raid before without issue, but it is a raid 0/raid 5 mix and iirc I installed linux on a partition on the large raid 5. The raid 0 us for my windows install.
Hi :)Having ended up with openSUSE.Pretty much everything else gave problems with dual booting.Yes using grub.I have with all that I tried.Let them configure.Not sure if my downloads weren't all that.But Mandriva left no boot other than to itself.I am not using Raid0, in fact currently non-raid.As I now use SSD's there doesn't seem much point.O/T Could someone sort my nick out for me?It should be zebadee & not zebadde.Obviously having a bad day. Edited by zebadde

securitybreach
O/T Could someone sort my nick out for me?It should be zebadee & not zebadde.Obviously having a bad day.
First off, welcome to the forums!!! As far as the name change, you will wait around for one of the Admins to see this. Although, I am not for sure if this can be done or not. Sorry, I it has been years since I have played with RAID but I would imagine someone will be able to help you out with your issues,.Thanks