Eric comes 18th...

arochester

Leaving Zonker Brockmeier (#22) in the dust, and Ubuntu community manager Jono Bacon (#15) better start watching out....#38 is occupied by one cybormoron!

V.T. Eric Layton

WOW! I made the top 20 list. COOL! I'm honored. I'd prefer a winning Powerball Lottery ticket, though... even a little jackpot ($20M or so) would be fine. ;)Oh, and Urmas is right. I'm busted. Here's a pic of me taken a few years ago with my pal Anne Francis:AnneFrancisRobbytheRobotForbiddenPl.jpgAnd it takes one to know one. Here's a pic of Urmas-2000:urmas-2000.png:hysterical:

Hey, great Eric! Congratulations. (Psst--we still remember the guy who jumped up and down on his hardware when an install went bad. You've come a long way baby!)

Psst--we still remember the guy who jumped up and down on his hardware when an install went bad.
And this has changed... how? :( :P

wow, amazing, i'm number 38? what the heck are they basing that on? it's funny because i've been nothing but overly critical of the site. i even drafted up a ranting, raving, lunatic, response to a previous post here about their anniversary but decided not to post it. the gist of it was that as much as i'd like to participate on the site i find it difficult to navigate, confusing to use, and slightly annoying. i even say so on the site in my "wall" posts. i've taken a wait and see approach hoping that they make some adjustments.it's good that someone from there solicited feedback and i hope they can address some of the issues. it shows that at least the site wasn't abandoned.another issue is that most users seem to have abandoned the place. a lot of profiles show three to six month periods of last login or activity. where'd everybody go? it seems there was a rush to register when the site was introduced but nobody came back. a few hung around but most stayed away.i just wonder if they are considering making adjustments. i hope they do. any constructive criticism i might offer would amount to nothing but annoying, petty complaints or insults so i just keep my mouth shut and wait. i basically just don't like the layout. oh well, best wishes to them is all i can say.anyways.......congrats eric.

securitybreach
wow, amazing, i'm number 38? what the heck are they basing that on? it's funny because i've been nothing but overly critical of the site. i even drafted up a ranting, raving, lunatic, response to a previous post here about their anniversary but decided not to post it. the gist of it was that as much as i'd like to participate on the site i find it difficult to navigate, confusing to use, and slightly annoying. i even say so on the site in my "wall" posts. i've taken a wait and see approach hoping that they make some adjustments.it's good that someone from there solicited feedback and i hope they can address some of the issues. it shows that at least the site wasn't abandoned.another issue is that most users seem to have abandoned the place. a lot of profiles show three to six month periods of last login or activity. where'd everybody go? it seems there was a rush to register when the site was introduced but nobody came back. a few hung around but most stayed away.i just wonder if they are considering making adjustments. i hope they do. any constructive criticism i might offer would amount to nothing but annoying, petty complaints or insults so i just keep my mouth shut and wait. i basically just don't like the layout. oh well, best wishes to them is all i can say.anyways.......congrats eric.
I completely agree :P I have a problem with the whole "guru" point system but I think that is getting changed as well: http://www.linux.com/community/blogs/linux...mendations.html

thanks eggdog...i just changed my privacy settings to share NOTHING. the site IS displaying email addys. i can see eric's and securitybreach's addys. it's in one the modules called "embed my badge" as you scroll down.

Edited by cybormoron

securitybreach
thanks eggdog...i just changed my privacy settings to share NOTHING. the site IS displaying email addys. i can see eric's and securitybreach's addys. it's in one the modules called "embed my badge" as you scroll down.
Changed mine as well to only allow friends.

V.T. Eric Layton

I just recently made mine public. I don't sweat it. My Inbox.com account is set to Exclusive. Only addresses on my white list make it to the Inbox. :)Anyway, Steve... the Guru Points are based on this:

Become a Linux GuruIf you participate in the site's community by providing content, you will gain guru points that will showcase your skills. Here is the current list of assigned point values: Publish an Article: 20 pts Ask a Question: 3 pts Answer a Question: 5 pts Add an Item to the Directory: 3 pts Review an Item in the Directory: 2 pts Add New Group: 3 pts Add New Group Discussion: 2 pts Leave Group: -3 pts Invite Friends: 5 pts Approve Friend Request: 1 pt Add New Photo Album: 1 pt Post Group Wall: 1 pt Join Group: 1 pt Reply Group's Discussion: 1 pt Post Wall: 1 pt Profile Update: 1 pt Update group: 1 ptThe top 50 annual Linux gurus on Linux.com will be included in an annual report from the Linux Foundation. The top five contributors to Linux.com annually will receive invitations to the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit and have a seat at the annual Linux.com planning meeting as community representatives. The top Linux.com user will be recognized each year as the “Ultimate Linux Guru” and be given a fully loaded “dream” Linux notebook, personally autographed by Linux creator Linus Torvalds, as recognition of his or her guru status. The top five Linux gurus and ultimate Linux guru will be determined by guru points total on Feb 15 every year.