Removing 'Auto-fill' Address

JJMan

Hello,I use Outlook 2002 and I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove auto-fill addresses when typing an address into the To field.For example:I've previously emailed to contactA@company1.com That person has since left company1, and is now at contactA@company2.com. The problem is, whenever I start to type c...o...n... --an auto-fill list appears and the contactA@company1.com address is first in the list. How do I delete that address so I don't accidentally select it? I tend to do this quite often and it's pretty annoying. Thanks in advance.

You should be able to go into your contacts and delete the old entry. If I am not mistaken, that is where the "auto-fill" gets its data.

I'm not entirely sure that the auto-fill comes from the contacts list. I run Outlook 2000 from work (via a Citrix network) and it automatically has all of our workers in the list. I've sent and received emails from my dad and brother (although never added them to the contact list). Because I've replied to them, Outlook remembered their addresses. It's never been a problem for me, although I can see how it could be for others... I'll have to look at it tomorrow at work and see what I can come up with (unless someone else posts a solution).

It's not getting them exclussively from my contacts list. I have this person's personal address in my contacts, so that shows up in the auto-fill list too. I see three addresses, 1 from when they were at company1, 1 from their company2 address (neither of which are in my contacts), and 1 from my contacts.GolfPro, it's wasn't a problem for me until the person left company1. Now I accidentally send emails to that address as it's the first to appear in my auto-fill list. :(<edit> Ok, I'm mistaken about what's been happening. In the cases where I want to delete an item, there is only 1 email address that is being auto-filled for me. It's an address that I've sent to in the past and is no longer valid. I still want to be able to delete it/clear it because I do accidentally send things to that address, but can't figure out how to get rid of it.I did figure out how to delete items from the auto-fill with more than one entry. To delete an item from the auto-fill, just scroll to the one you want to delete and then hit the delete key. DUH! I was having problems because I normally right-click and then delete things.

Edited by JJMan

I did some searching (don't use outlook at home, but have it installed), and found that you can disable the auto-fill function all together. I doubt this is what you're looking for, but it's one way around the problem... Tools menu -> Options -> Email Options (under Preferences tab) -> Advanced Email Options -> Uncheck Automatic Name Checking.I'll keep searching... will update if I come up with anything...One thing you might check is your Sent Items folder... do you have anything you've sent to that old address? Maybe that will help... also deleted items folder.