Network & Dial-up Connection

l'bodacious

l'bodacious

I was attempting to install DNS via the Advanced | Optional Network Components.. in the Network and Dial-up Connections window and received the (see demonstration below***) error! I was able to install DNS via the Add/Remove Programs but the error persist! Any suggestion? The Taskman shows sysocmgr.exe as the process related to the error.Well it seems to be related to the parsing of the path being passed: "F:\WINNT\system32\sysocmgr.exe" /x /I:F:\DOCUME~1\Touche.CANTERBURY\Local Settings\Temp\NDCNETOC.INFwhen execute via Run: "F:\WINNT\system32\sysocmgr.exe" /x /I:"F:\DOCUME~1\Touche.CANTERBURY\Local Settings\Temp\NDCNETOC.INF"the wizard is started correctly. So how do I fix? ***To view the error open a cmd window and type the following: sysocmgr.exe /?this will cause the error message to be displayed.-- l'bodacious - Nothing is perfect between conception and death.

l'bodacious

Thanks for repy,SP3 and subsequent pre-SP4 fixes are applied. I can't tell when the error condition started, but believe it was after SP3 was applied.

I assume you're talking about Windows 2000. Look in the Event Log which is located in the Administrator Tools (or type EVENTVWR from Start->Run). There should be an error message or two popping up in there. What are those error messages? We need the source and number.

l'bodacious

Yes, I'm running W2K server. The event log for applications doesn't reveal any errors related to the menu error in question. The even logs should be archived but don't have access to them right now. Since this condition has existed for so long I wouldn't know where to start. This error condition doesn't seem to cause an event.I've been living with it for several month and have posted to numerious list but noone has responded except you and two other on another newsgroup.Thank you again.

Yes, I'm running W2K server.  The event log for applications doesn't reveal any errors related to the menu  error in question.  The even logs should be archived but don't have access to them right now.  Since this condition has existed for so long I wouldn't know where to start.  This error condition doesn't seem to cause an event.I've been living with it for several month and have posted to numerious list but noone has responded except you and two other on another newsgroup.Thank you again.
This is all I could find in the MS knowledge Basehttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;262558http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;222444Not sure how much this is going to help but hope it at least gets you going in the right direction.

Since the path is in quotes, try expanding it to long names instead of short names, i.e."F:\Documents\Touche.CANTERBURY\Local Settings\Temp\NDCNETOC.INF" instead of..."F:\DOCUME~1\Touche.CANTERBURY\Local Settings\Temp\NDCNETOC.INF"

• 3 weeks later...
l'bodacious

First I wish to thank everyone for your suggestions and appoligize for taking so long to respond. I had fat finger (actual old age) problems trying to post a resonse. I saveed the text in a local file that some how got deleted from my system. That's the bad news.The good news is I just a moment ago solved my problem. Two local variables: TEMP and TMP were set to - %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp. I deleted both and now the Wizard is started and all is well. :D Thanks again!p.s. I still hope to descover why a profile local variable causes the problem.

l'bodacious
OT: l'bodacious, I like your avatar ;)
Thanks, wish I could take credit for its creation! I've used it for years and can't recall where I got it.