Equivalent of ctrl+esc in Untuntu?

BillD

In PCLinxOS, I can press crtl+esc and get a list of running processes with the option to kill something if I want to. Also, if things get totally out of hand, I can press ctrl+alt+backspace and instantly log out.Are there any equivalent key deals like this in Ubuntu? At one time I could use ctrl+alt+backspace to log out in Ubuntu and Mint because I used them to "restart the x environment" while running live to check installation of video drivers, but that no longer works even on an installed distro.Thank you,Bill

How to Restore Ctrl + Alt + BackSpace
Install dontzap
sudo apt-get install dontzap

Disable dontzap

sudo dontzap --disable

Restart your computerThat’s it. You can restart your X using Ctrl + Alt + Backspace now.

Debian HOW-TO : Task Manager XP Style [sic!]
instructions will differ depending on the windows manager you use : Metacity or Compiz. If you don't know, just do both parts, it will work just as well. Note that all commands below are to be run without root privileges, so just do it as a normal user.
:thumbsup:

Well, dontzap is not available for Ubuntu 9.1. I notice this was written with Jaunty in mind, and as I recall, ctrl+alt+backspace worked back then anyway . . . but maybe that was before Jaunty; I can't remember for sure.Did the crtl+alt+del thing and it causes instant pop up of the box that allows you to shut the computer down or restart rather than system monitor (same box as clicking on the red shutdown button in bar at top? No way to log back in from there other than to restart . . .I think there have been a number of deteriorations since 8.04LTS which is last version I had installed. Wonder what 10.04 will bring?Thanks,Bill

Edited by BillD

Just tried the Ctrl-Esc in sidux/KDE4. It brings up a lovely "System Activity" box that allows you to kill any running process. Nice. I suggest you wipe Untuntu (sic) and install sidux. :hysterical: :thumbsup: :lol:

To get more or less the same functionality for control escape, you need to assign a keyboard shortcut to the system monitor.System->Preferences->Keyboard ShortcutsClick AddName: System MonitorCommand: gnome-system-monitorYou should now have a custom shortcut listed. Click on the right side. It should say "New Shortcut" Press Control + Escape.Close the keyboard shortcut window and press control escape. The system monitor should open.

First part worked great; thank you!Second part

You should now have a custom shortcut listed. Click on the right side. It should say "New Shortcut" Press Control + Escape.
When I add the stuff in the box, and click apply, all it says on the right side is "disabled" and when I right click it it says "add" . . . ?Bill Edited by BillD

Second part When I add the stuff in the box, and click apply, all it says on the right side is "disabled" and when I right click it it says "add" . . . ?
Hi Bill, adding the shortcut to your "Keyboard Shortcuts" list and actually defining a key for the shortcut are two separate steps. You've got GNOME System Monitor added to your Keyboard Shortcuts. Don't right-click on that line; just left-click it and it will be highlighted. Then hit [ctrl]-[esc], for instance, on your keyboard and where it says "Disabled" on that line it should now say "Ctrl-Esc". That's what worked for me in Mandriva's GNOME edition; I'm sure it should work the same in your Ubuntu.Eddie

Well this was real interesting. When I did as you suggested, all that would happen is that "add custom shortcut" box came back up again. So in disgust, I opened and dragged the gnome-control-center icon from the system menu up onto the bar at the top along with the other stuff already there. Then clicked on it and it opened and I set it to processes. Then when I looked back into the key shortcut deal, it had changed to ctrl+esc and sure enough, when I pressed those keys from then on, it brought up the box showing the running stuff. However, with Firefox open (i.e. a running process), it disables the thing if I press ctrl+esc and thus it would not do me much good as far as I can see because the only time I would want to kill a process is if it was "running away" and then it would not work apparently! Whether, if something was running away, I could do any good with the icon, I don't know.Thanks,Bill

I don't know if this works in Ubuntu because I don't use gnome anywhere.I had to kill a process on my eeepc Xandros/Debian etch Open a terminal and type ps -A which gives you a list of the running processesthen type kill -9 insert process id here

Yes, it does work fine in Ubuntu. I appreciate the input. I'll write it down in case I ever need it!The problem is, I can remember ctrl+alt+backspace to force a log out, but remembering something like this is beyond my old brain . . . I don't like either Ubuntu or Gnome nearly as well as I did PCLinuxOS with Kde, but again yesterday, after doing some updates, my printer stopped working and I had to reinstall it. I don't know how many times this has happened this past year with this version; it never happened before that I can recall. Everytime the HP printer data base gets updated this happens for some reason, and I am getting fed up with it. At least with Ubuntu, they separate the security updates from the rest.Thanks, Zlim,Bill

Edited by BillD

Hey Liz!That is a neat trick. I will too put it in my notes. I tried it in PCLinuxOS ( KDE ) so I will have to check if it works in Gnome. But thanks for the tip. Love you.

securitybreach
Hey Liz!That is a neat trick. I will too put it in my notes. I tried it in PCLinuxOS ( KDE ) so I will have to check if it works in Gnome. But thanks for the tip. Love you.
Those are Linux commands. They work on any version of Linux with any Desktop Enviroment. They will also work whether X is running or not.Look here for more info: http://www.computerhope.com/unix/ups.htmOr you could always open up a terminal and type killall process. For instance, to kill firefox:
$ killall firefox

but kill -9 processid is a cleaner way to end the process.

Good points and link Josh. I did know about "killall" but not about "kill -9 processid" and/or "ps -A" or any "ps -whatever" for that matter. Good to know about them all. Thanks Josh, and Liz.

I think the main problem with terminal commands like these is that, in my experience, I may have to hit ctrl+alt+backspace more than once just to get that to work because if something is "running away", it is taking up virtually all the cpu time.Fortunately, nothing has run away lately ;) Bill

Edited by BillD

Are you getting PCLinux updates? I haven't gotten any since January 8th.I have not added a KDE 4 repository for fear of breaking something.I'm not sure what I'll do when that is forced on me. I liked PCLinux because it was always updated but now that doesn't seem to be the case any more and I'm a bit discouraged. I may have to look elsewhere.

Well, I did an update a couple of days ago, and it disabled the printer again; I had to reinstall it.Just how recent the update, as a whole was, I don't know because I had so much trouble with the printer problem mentioned above that I got in the habit of just "marking" updates, then going down thru to see if anything was going on with Firefox, Flash, Java and similar type stuff. So it may be when I ran the synaptic update business the other day, I was just getting old updates that have been there for awhile . . . No help in answering your I know, but that is my situation!However, if you recall there was a period of about 4 months in the fall of 2008, when there were no updates. Now all these problems is why I have started taking a really serious look at Ubuntu again.Bill

Thanks. I lost my printer too but not from a linux update.The power went out for 25 minutes one day. When that happens, I usually have to power down the router when power is restored because something doesn't get an IP. All the computers could get online but the printer was not getting an IP. Finally after about 4 or 5 days suffering without a printer from my computers and resorting to have to use a very old 700MHz with a working old HP printer or my husband's two computers hooked up with a printer switch to a bit newer HP working printer, I decided I had had enough and I had to fix it. I tried everything and still could not get it to work. Finally when nothing works, you swap ethernet cables. That did it! I now have an extremely short 1 foot cable from the print server to the router. I'm looking for something a bit longer but cable prices are outrageous.

Edited by zlim

Well, I am still using a USB connected printer (2 in fact), so I don't have the networking problem you do. On the other hand, it is not as convenient having to unplug it from one computer and plug it into the other in the location where I have 2 computers and one printer . . .I have my modem/router connected to a UPS that stays connected 24/7; however this is a recent addition; not sure how long the modem/router will last running like that but I got fed up the power outages, having to wait for the modem to reconnect to my DSL phone line each time I turned it on, etc.Bill

securitybreach
I have my modem/router connected to a UPS that stays connected 24/7; however this is a recent addition; not sure how long the modem/router will last running like that but I got fed up the power outages, having to wait for the modem to reconnect to my DSL phone line each time I turned it on, etc.Bill
Well that will definitely work. :thumbsup: Although, I do not think you will have any issues with leaving them running 24/7 since I always leave my router/cable modem running. My modem has not been restarted in probably a year or more and I think the router was restarted once in the last year for a firmware upgrade. But other than they run great being on all the time. After all, broadband is supposed to be an "always on" connection anyway.